PDA

View Full Version : starter slipping, stripped bolt hole

cronux
05-28-2008, 10:48 PM
ka24de with manual, if youre wondering

so when i reinstalled my starter, the bolt ended up stripping out the bolt hole of the starter on the bottom bolt. the top one is fine. so i ended up buying another bolt (grade 8) of the same pitch/thread and diameter, but longer. i then threaded it in through the starter (it still grabbed a little, not really at all though). i then placed a nut on the end side, and sinched it tight. while going on a test drive, the engine made a wierd grinding noise, and died. upon trying to restart, the starter jumps out of position (rotates) and makes a horrid grinding noise.

this leads me to believe that it is trying to turn the engine over, but slips gears, because it is not held in place properly.

so basically, my question is, do i buy a new/different starter, and use it because its threads will be fine, or do i just try torquing the bolt/nut alot tighter into place...

also would the starter skipping like that while driving cause it to kill the engine?

im assuming that the teeth of the gears for the starter and flywheel didnt mesh properly because of the starter being somewhat movable, and the contact caused it to temporarly lock up. any ideas?

projectRDM
05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
If the bolt is tight then the starter can't move, simple. Also, the hole for the starter isn't oversized, so if it's seated properly you shouldn't have an issue since it won't move there either. Remove it and check to see if it's sitting wrong on the block.

cronux
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
yea, its probably not seated properly. i was just a bit worried, because it caused my engine to kill.

if push comes to shove, a starter goes for like 30bucks in the for sale.

cronux
05-29-2008, 10:26 PM
starter was slipping at first, but now its complete toast. mmmm new starter. its all fresh and clean.