PDA

View Full Version : cryo dipping the 5-speed

zavala
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
being that our 5-speeds arn't known for holding massive amounts of abuse or power for that matter, has anyone gone this route? i've been drooling over the os-giken and ppg kits for a year now but the price just keeps killing me. i don't know a whole lot about the cryo process only what the websites says and the testimonials that some people have given about rotors and drill bits.

rps13drift
05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
z32 trans! Holla!

McRussellPants
05-27-2008, 09:37 PM
General consensus is 12% gain in strength, which is really arbitrary and not a huge improvement.

its pretty rare to see them break from a roll on, seems like they need to fatigue for a while to get to the point where they'll snap without shock loading.

on the other hand shock loading will wreck them really quickly, I've seen them go on the first try. big clutch kick on tire and a grabby clutch is enough to get 2nd or 3rd completely out of the case.

So I'm thinking, with real tire and power the SR Trans is completely out of its league.

But then again redline shockproof, a rebuild and fresh gears with cryotreat and coating might be enough to save it.

who knows.

I might try it, But a OS gearset isn't too expensive in the big scheme of things.

McRussellPants
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
if you're gonna do it do it on a trans that hasn't been abused, no point in starting on a trans thats already been fatigued trying to bring it back to life.

EDacIouSX
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM
i'm assuming this is for a KA or SR trannY???

McRussellPants
05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/2003/5000/5950krantz.html

heres random useless nasa info saying its better.

cryo stuff is really vague because they don't want to make any promises.

zavala
05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
12%!!!?? that sucks:( the trans i have is near perfect on the inside and came from a SR motor set (not that it matters cause the KA and SR trannys are the basicly the same thing exept the bell housing). os giken isss soooo nice i know!! one piece counter shaft and sexy new imput shaft. but that 3000$ price tag hurts me. plus isn't that nasa thing about a coating not cryo treatment?

infinitexsound
05-28-2008, 12:13 AM
ummmm get a 240z 3 piece tranny.... take the bellhousing off... get a hold of a t-5 tranny...get a machinist to mate the tranny to the bellhousing.. run inner hydraulic TO bearing for the T-5... make all the plumbings work... get quartermaster flywheel and drill it to nissan bolt pattern.. and run a quartermaster clutch system or something adequate... you could even get fancy and buy some straight cut gear sets.... this system is kinda the same they run for drag racing and gt3 in scca... dont forget the driveshaft...

KA240SX808
05-28-2008, 12:35 AM
What about WPC Treatment?

www.wpctreatment.com

!Zar!
05-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Way too much work.

z32 tranny or bust.

infinitexsound
05-28-2008, 02:14 AM
yea forgot zar ppl dont race here.... my bad

!Zar!
05-28-2008, 02:29 AM
Racing has nothing to do with it.

Why spend so much money on a tranny that will still potentially blow up?

It's cheaper in the end to go with a z32 tranny.

Nothing, "race" about it. Just common sense.

infinitexsound
05-28-2008, 02:39 AM
t-5 are around 100 bucks... not that much costly... they come in alot of domestic vehicles....id rather go that route vs cry treating and z32... tho easier to deal with dog rings...rebuilding is cake...

aaronlosey
05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
t-5 trannys aren't that strong, you would still need to go down the road of building it if your worried about breaking sr trannys.

zavala
05-28-2008, 06:05 PM
yeah my buddys foxbody mustang eats T-5s for lunch and he doesn't even have 350whp sooooo no go on the T-5. besides that i would much rather just do the z32 swap over going through all the BS of putting a "doh"mestic trans in. but that too cost alot of money, hell everything cost alot of money these days :-/. but i belive i could cryo treat my stock trans and rebuild it with new snycros, bearings, and seals for around $500 so i'll probily go that route till i can save the long jack for the z32 swap kit

tunersedge
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
yeah my buddys foxbody mustang eats T-5s for lunch and he doesn't even have 350whp sooooo no go on the T-5. besides that i would much rather just do the z32 swap over going through all the BS of putting a "doh"mestic trans in. but that too cost alot of money, hell everything cost alot of money these days :-/. but i belive i could cryo treat my stock trans and rebuild it with new snycros, bearings, and seals for around $500 so i'll probily go that route till i can save the long jack for the z32 swap kit

your buddys foxbody mustang eats t-5's for lunch due to the torque, the torque is the cause for the failure, not the horsepower. a t-5 will last longer on a 4cyl then a 8cyl thats a given. but why go through the hassel?

burnsauto
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
your buddys foxbody mustang eats t-5's for lunch due to the torque, the torque is the cause for the failure, not the horsepower. a t-5 will last longer on a 4cyl then a 8cyl thats a given. but why go through the hassel?

a t-5 trans isnt the best selection as far as transmission options out there...

maybe if it were a cobra t-5...

Prok0
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Enjukus Silver car ran a T5 in it, auto SR bellhousing machined a little, adapter plate, and iirc a set of G-Force dog gears and that trans held together putting down around 500whp.

They did run the Z32 trans's but still blew those up, and those took a considerable amount more time to change then SR/KA box's.

And Bills red car was running an OS box, and that still managed to blow up, but it was just the synchros, not the gears themselves..

infinitexsound
05-28-2008, 08:39 PM
someone has been researching...... yeah g-force gear sets are the shit.... they can handle over 500hp then its no biggie...for KA SR... or what ever else...
theres really no difference if it was a cobra t-5 or one out of a clunker from a junkyard.. all u need is the case... but the beefier the case the better...

McRussellPants
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM

SR with a 3071 will put down 440ftlbs, more than enough to wreck a a T5.

Enjukus Silver car ran a T5 in it, auto SR bellhousing machined a little, adapter plate, and iirc a set of G-Force dog gears and that trans held together putting down around 500whp.

That car never had a turbo big enough to support 500whp to my knowledge. from watching it I'd say 350-400.

They did run the Z32 trans's but still blew those up, and those took a considerable amount more time to change then SR/KA box's.

Yeah, whoever built those cars was new to drifting. You put an unsprung twin and one peice driveshaft on a trans and you'll be fighting to find any trans that can handle a good clutchkick. Those cars were down on power and tire though so it doesn't seem like they should have had many problems.

And Bills red car was running an OS box, and that still managed to blow up, but it was just the synchros, not the gears themselves..

Thats a build or driver issue not a strength issue.

The OS 3 gear set sells for about as much as you'd pay for a Z32 Trans swap. Cracking input shafts is pretty rare compared to taking the teeth off 2 and 3 so if you're on a budget I'd say do that.

McRussellPants
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah, the Z32 weak link is the shifter linkage.

try to grab a gear wrong and it'll bend.

neat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-NISSAN-Z32-300ZX-98-SPEC-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-90-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247Q QcategoryZ33733QQihZ002QQitemZ120236153327QQrdZ1QQ sspagenameZWD1V

Prok0
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
That car never had a turbo big enough to support 500whp to my knowledge. from watching it I'd say 350-400.

I watched the silver car put down 440whp when it was first up and running before unser drove it, then I believe they switched to a 3071 for a short period of time and I dont recall what it made.

You put an unsprung twin and one peice driveshaft on a trans and you'll be fighting to find any trans that can handle a good clutchkick.

They only tested the twin plate for a short period of time and then switched back to the spec d's iirc..

Thats a build or driver issue not a strength issue.

Yea, that was more or less Bill.