PDA

View Full Version : s13 sr into s14 overheating problem

eligido21
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
i replaced the water pump with a brand new one and also replaced the thermostat with a new oem one and my radiator fans work. we bled the radiator for like 2 hrs to make sure there were no air bubbles and im not leaking any coolant/water at all but temp guage keeps hitting the H. I took a 10-15 min drive and it ran perfectly fine and smooth but my guage says im overheating and when i open the hood it does feel alot hotter than my friends sr when we took the exact same drive in his car. My temp guage also hits the h at idle. Does anyone know what it can be?

rps13drift
05-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Get a s14 coolant temp sensor. Youre probably not even realy overheating. I recall hearing you need a coolant temp sensor for what chassis you have not the motor.

eligido21
05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Get a s14 coolant temp sensor. Youre probably not even realy overheating. I recall hearing you need a coolant temp sensor for what chassis you have not the motor.

i thought about that but my engine is way hotter than my friends when were both at idle and he has an s13 sr as well. my radiator seems hotter and my valve cover seemed hotter when i touched my then his. Ill look into the coolant temp sensor thing though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Z U L8R
05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
get the coolant temp sending unit for your year 240sx. not the motor that's in the car. s13 and s14 clusters read different resistances. i agree with rps13drift

eligido21
05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
get the coolant temp sending unit for your year 240sx. not the motor that's in the car. s13 and s14 clusters read different resistances. i agree with rps13drift

ok imma go to advanced or autozone and see if they have the temp sensor and try it out and see what it says.

Ill still take more suggestions though if any one has any.

rps13drift
05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
ok imma go to advanced or autozone and see if they have the temp sensor and try it out and see what it says.

Ill still take more suggestions though if any one has any.

If your realy worried about an overheating problem i recomend an aftermarket water temp gauge

eligido21
05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
ok i took the thermostat out and ran the car for about 20 mins and the temp guage stayed right in the middle. it seems normal. when the thermostat was in it shot right to the H in about 3 min. what are the negatives of runnin without a thermostat? is it safe to just leave it out?

jinesz32
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
same thing happened with my friend, he removed his thermostat, and all of a sudden it doesn't over heat anymore, hes been running it like that for awhile now. don't know if he put it back or not, he thought it was his water pump, but he took the thermostat out and fixed the problem so he was okay with it.

good luck bud.

SleeperSx
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't run it without a thermo, You will start messing with your bearings, Since there not going to be up to operating temp for a long time, Also eventually the heat will over come the radiator and you will start heating up again.

Are you sure your radiator isn't stopped up somewere? I would take it out and flush it, and have it inspected. If that doesn't work, Take your thermo, put it in a pan of boiling water on the stove and make sure its opening. Now that you have those 2 steps confirmed, Look into your fans, Pusher of puller? Single or duel setup? Size? make sure you have a good shroud.

Then if none of that works, Here is your options.

1st go to the parts store and get some be cool Liquid, Poor that in your radiator, it mixes with your current fluid, We use this on our dirt track cars, Seems to lower out temps up to 10 degree's over all.

2nd Buy a new radiator, Make sure your getting Max Flow.

3rd buy an oil cooler, Get those oil temps down to run cooler.

4th Buy some header wrap and wrap your exhaust and manifolds, This will lower your engine bay temps ALOT!!! 25-100 degrees.

That is your options of fixing the problem. Good luck!!

srpowereds14
05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Like everyone has stated you will need the S14 one i just used the one from my KA and works perfectly fine.

Z U L8R
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
in the winter time you will also foul your plugs once a month with no thermostat. if thermostats were bad for your car nissan car's wouldn't have them. fix ur problem correctly. don't half ass ur car like everyone else does, then wonder why the shit's always broken.

Dave

zylvia213
05-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree you definately need to keep a thermostat in there. I also agree with getting an aftermarket temp gauge they are way more acurate.

How does the radiator look like? When you take the cap off is it clean or do you see like rust gunk in there. I kinda had the same problem and i replace water pump thermostat and what not and it was still overheating. Once i replace my radiator with a koyo problem went away. But first if you see that it is kinda dirty get it flushed and cleaned at a radiator shop. That would work fine if thats the problem.

One other thing with the thermostat, did you use silicone? If you did sometimes people put to much silicone and you get some piece stuck or on the way of the thermostat housing and will interfere with the water flow. Also if you dont bleed the cooling system properly you'll still get air pockets and that would definately create overheating problems.

nissanguy13
05-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I would flush your radiator and block, try a new thermostat,(the one you bought might be defective), add coolant bleed it from the block. If you have problems after that than you need better fans, or a new radiator.

are you using stock fans and radiator? Do you have a fan shroud?

GSXRJJordan
05-29-2008, 01:45 AM
I had a similar problem on first startup with my S13 SR -> S14.

I don't know if you looped your heater hoses or what, but that's a typical problem - disconnect the water cock valve's bracket so you can hold it open. Then you should fill the block with coolant by filling the radiator with the air bleeder screw out, until water comes out of the bleeder screw hole. I even opened the water return port for the turbo until water came out in a solid stream to make sure there was as little air in there as possible on first startup.

The problem after a swap is that air hangs out around the thermostat, and either delays or stops its opening. If your coolant temp sensor reads very hot, but your lower radiator hose (down by the radiator) is not warm, your thermo isn't opening (most likely because you have air back there). Removing the thermo solves this problem, but creates a whole shit-ton of others for street-driven cars.

Run the car till it's hot, then pop the bleeder valve until water comes out - wait till it cools down, fill the radiator again, and repeat. Do all of this with the water cock valve wide open. After 3 or 4 tries, you should be golden.

s14kouki_
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
according to thenismoshop, all ka24 coolant temp sensors are the same for all years?

GSXRJJordan
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Yup, all KA/SR thermostats are the same.

s14kouki_
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
so i need a s14 sr temp sensor or ka24 temp sensor on my s13 sr in s14

GSXRJJordan
05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
There's two temp sensors... the 3 pin one should match your ECU, the 1-pin one (just has a blade coming off that the plug connects to) should match your cluster. S14 cluster = S14 SR or KA temp sensor. S13 cluster = S13 sensor.

Z U L8R
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
you don't need any temp sensor, you need a coolant temperature SENDING UNIT AKA SWITCH to work with your 95-98 s14 guage cluster. whatever year your s14 is, that's the coolant temp SENDING UNIT aka SWITCH you need to get yourself. your sr20 is an s13 sr20, the s13 sr20 ecu reads the coolant temperature from the s13 sr20 coolant temperature sensor. they are right next to each other on the motor. the 2 pin sensor is for the ecu, the 1 pin SENDING UNIT/AKA SWITCH is for your guage. your s13 sr20 sending unit is giving your s14 guage cluster a different resistance than an s14 sending unit would. forget all the stupid ass websites that lump a dohc ka in the same category. this particular part is not one size fits all for the motor, because it doesn't matter what motor you have in your s14. if you want your s14 coolant guage to read correctly then you need a USDM s14 coolant temp sending unit. you could have a enzo ferrari engine in your s14 or a testarosa engine in your s14. if you wanted your s14 coolant guage to read correctly, then all you gotta do is put in an s14 coolant temperature sending unit in the motor somewhere it's gonna thread into something grounded that has coolant flowing through it.

sorry if i come across a little frustrated, but we told u from the rip to get the correct sending unit and instead of listening you go and pull out your thermostat.......

rawwrrr >_<

Dave

ps i had a long day *hug