PDA

View Full Version : Stripped oil pan bolt?

Threeyearitch
05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
So, stock KA was/is leaking some oil. Seemed to be coming from the oil pan gasket. Looked up the torque specs in the FSM, 32 ft/lbs. I think, ok, I'll just go give em' a litle crank. Set the t-wrench at 30 and they spin almost freely. I'm not applying a ton of presure here either, they're turning realy easily.

Then poof, one just torques right off. Left the bolt in the block. I started it up and reved it a little bit. Wasn't gushing oil or anythying, didn't look like it was leaking at all actually. Is this a big deal? Should I worry about getting it out and replacing it?

Sorry, not a whole lot of experience with this.
Thanks in advance.

Mister.E
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
sounds like instead of tightening the bolts you need to take it off and apply a new ring of RTV. try and back out the bolt that you broke with a screw extractor, drain your oil, apply new liquid gasket, reapply oil pan, and replace all bolts. i just did it on mine and everything is good to go. my old seal was shit and oil was leaking from the front of the pan.

Threeyearitch
05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
sounds like instead of tightening the bolts you need to take it off and apply a new ring of RTV. try and back out the bolt that you broke with a screw extractor, drain your oil, apply new liquid gasket, reapply oil pan, and replace all bolts. i just did it on mine and everything is good to go. my old seal was shit and oil was leaking from the front of the pan.

Thanks for the quick response :)

I think I'm gonna look around for a screw extractor.

Now that I start to think about it, this might not be a bad time to do one of those pre-KA-T steps and weld in the turbo oil-return bung. Thanks!

Mister.E
05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
no problem man, hope everything works out for you in the end.

jim1234664
06-03-2008, 06:23 PM
whoa the torque spec for the oil pan bolts is like 10 foot pounds you must have read the NM or something (in the fsm you are always looking at the third number in a torque spec

louisdaboois
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
So, stock KA was/is leaking some oil. Seemed to be coming from the oil pan gasket. Looked up the torque specs in the FSM, 32 ft/lbs. I think, ok, I'll just go give em' a litle crank. Set the t-wrench at 30 and they spin almost freely. I'm not applying a ton of presure here either, they're turning realy easily.

damn dude, i believe its 32 in/lbs. which is finger tight then a little turn with a rachet. honestly, i have like 3 bolts missing on my oil pan and its still clean as a whistle. lol, i think you'll be all right

Threeyearitch
06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit .

/life

Aggies13
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
For future refrence, look at the size of the bolt you are about to tighten and decide if it sounds right to apply that much force. 10mm bolts should be turned just snug, thats it, or 32 in/lb. if you're that worried, you can drill the bolt out, remove it and if the threads are messed up, you can helicoil it. if the threads are still good then just get a new bolt.

duffman1278
06-08-2008, 02:09 AM
I had this exact situation happen to me on my integra though like 3 weeks ago. It would not leak while the car was running, but it did after the car was off for awhile. I ended up having to retap the threads on the oil pan. Make sure, if you don't plan to drop the oil pan, but I would suggest you do, to magnitze the tap and take off as much of the shavings as possible.