PDA

View Full Version : Are my cams holding me back?

Slip&Sliden 240
05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Well I finally got my car running decent, but it feels slow as hell.

Setup
SR20
Rocker arm stoppers
Cometic head gasket
ARP head studs
Custom exhaust manifold
Evo 9 big 16g @21psi
600cc inj
Apex power fc d –jetro

I am assuming that my tune has some to do with it, Im running the enthalpy base maps. It holds 11.5 afr under boost with fuel press at 45psi no vac. It spools way slow and just doesn’t seem to pull hard. I just got the car back together 2 nights ago and haven’t messed with it to much yet. I am wondering are the stock cams holding me back? I know I need it tuned better but this was just something I was thinking about.

Z33dori
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
possibly

get some 264s and get it retuned

steve shadows
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
How do you know anything?

You need a dyno

Your ass is not a dyno.

A dyno and a tune for the actual car from an experienced tuner.

Tuning is the single most important and best modification for any car

with out the proper tune it's just a paper weight.

Z33dori
05-27-2008, 11:56 AM
he speaks the truth

forcefedkid
05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
x2 tune is everything

punxva
05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
well you are running a larger turbo than stock, and 21lbs of boost, thats probably why it feels laggy... Steve knows his shit, get it tuned more to suit your actual setup, whenever you get a tuned ecu you should always realize they tune it so they don't blow, then it's up to you to fine tune it

kensreliableb18b
05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
please get some cams BEFORE you tune ur car. it'd be a waste if you didnt.

Omarius Maximus
05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds like the timing on the base map is overly conservative. A custom tune is awesome because they can dial timing up in areas where the turbo isn't at or can't be fully spooled. A good map has shitloads of timing early on when your off boost (car feels more alive and spools much faster), then lowers it when your hitting full spool so you don't blow stuff up. You def need a custom tune. I would maybe think about methanol injection too, especially if your running 91 piss gas.

zavala
05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
isn't the evo 9 turbo a twin-scroll? what does this "custom" manifold look like? pics? that might be the reason too. but yeah man tuning is everything, and roms only go so far. i would put it this way. rom tunes get you in the ballpark, stand-alone gets you to home plate. unless your on the dyno when someone is doing a custom rom tune for you.

Slip&Sliden 240
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Its a twinscroll manifold. There is no one local that tunes nissans, only hondas. I have to take it 4 hours away to have it tuned. I just want to make sure I have what I need for that. I dont want to tow it across the state to find out I needed cams, from what I had read I was assuming stock cams would give it quicker response and but less top end. But they could be choking it.

TheArkitekt
05-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Its a twinscroll manifold. There is no one local that tunes nissans, only hondas. I have to take it 4 hours away to have it tuned. I just want to make sure I have what I need for that. I dont want to tow it across the state to find out I needed cams, from what I had read I was assuming stock cams would give it quicker response and but less top end. But they could be choking it.

why cant they tune a nissan? an experienced tuner should be able to tune anything with a dyno, af and knowledge of the tuning software. a power fc isnt that complicated...