PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

spanishricer
05-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I've been going through my engine bay, cleaning and degreasing everything, when I came across a couple of hardlines pictured below next to the power steering pump.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/spanishricer/DSC00662.jpg

One has some kind of sensor on it, and the other an empty vacuum hose. These follow the chassis back to the firewall, where the one with the sensor feeds up around the brake booster, runs along the firewall, and then terminates underneath the passenger side of the car. The other hard line just runs straight back under the driver side of the car.

I couldn't find a diagram with these lines in my FSM, so I'm not sure what they are. Or if they can be removed or re-routed elsewhere in the engine bay?

Any input is appreciated.

bmx22
05-24-2008, 09:11 PM
i think that is from the charcole canister...........

spanishricer
05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
i think that is from the charcole canister...........

I think you may be right.

FSM says the cannister is supposed to absorb evaporative gases from the fuel tank. So is it safe to assume that both the hard lines are running to the fuel tank? The cannister is long gone, so can I just cut and terminate the lines?

rbs14kouki
05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
that yellow thing is just a vacum filter ... is probably for a boost controler or a boost gauge ... i had one in my boost gauge kit ...

burnsauto
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
sure its not a check valve?

LA_phantom_240
05-24-2008, 10:01 PM
sure its not a check valve?

That's what it looks like to me.

spiderlone
05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Thats from the charcole canister.. that could be left alon.. just dont bolck it off..

HellonFire
05-24-2008, 10:07 PM
The one in the bottom without the filter, you can pull all the way back to where the slave cylinder is. Just pull the rubber hose off there, and leave it open. No biggie. Thats the fume line from the canister.

The one with the filter on it, pull that all the way back to the side of the drivers frame rail. Its just the charcoal canister vent.

Tyler

spanishricer
05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Forgive the crude diagram with MS Paint.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/spanishricer/cannister.jpg

So the blue hard line with the filter on the end of it travels all the way across the firewall and back underneath the car, while the red hard line with nothing on the end of it just runs straight back. This line I can cut and terminate underneath the brake booster? But the red one I can't?

HellonFire
05-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Nope. Blue you can trace back until it is by the slave cylinder. You will see where it turns into a rubber line, the back into a hard line. Just pull off the rubber hose, and pull that whole hard line out of the engine bay.

Red, trace back until you see it clip into the frame rail underneath the drivers seat. Break/kick/chew that off, and remove the entire hard line from the engine bay.

Done. Cleaner looking eh?

Tyler

spanishricer
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Nope. Blue you can trace back until it is by the slave cylinder. You will see where it turns into a rubber line, the back into a hard line. Just pull off the rubber hose, and pull that whole hard line out of the engine bay.

Red, trace back until you see it clip into the frame rail underneath the drivers seat. Break/kick/chew that off, and remove the entire hard line from the engine bay.

Done. Cleaner looking eh?

Tyler

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...but I don't see where the blue line turns into a rubber line, except where the filter is? I've traced it back along the frame rail, around the brake booster and master cylinder, along the firewall, and down to where it goes underneath the car, and it's all hard line?

HellonFire
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Look where it goes under the car down past the fuel filter. Almost to the Slave cylinder on the tranny.

It turns into a rubber line for about 3-4 inches.

Tyler

spanishricer
05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Look where it goes under the car down past the fuel filter. Almost to the Slave cylinder on the tranny.

It turns into a rubber line for about 3-4 inches.

Tyler

Ah yes, I see it now. Thanks. :)

HellonFire
05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
No problem. GL.

Tyler