PDA

View Full Version : Problem after problem...

DataXUnknown
05-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Well here I go with the explanation.

My clutch was completely destroyed, so I dropped the tranny and was waiting on a new clutch. I finally had bought the clutch and replaced some old heater hoses that were old and looked nasty, along with some freeze plugs. I also had to get a new flywheel. I chose stage 2, and a lightweight flywheel.

So finally today I start putting the clutch in, it took a long time, but we got everything in all nice and snug. During this entire process we are rushing more and more (Had to be done by 3:30PM). So we finally finished, and pushed the car out of the gate and start pouring coolant into it. We start the car, and this is where the problems occur...

It starts just fine, then we notice a huge leak in the back, gasoline, just spraying so the fuel line has a hole in it near the diff. Then, when I try to release the clutch pedal, it makes a wierd noise, sort of like a grinding noise. So we shut it off, put the car back on the lift and call it a day.

I'm wondering if for the fuel line, I can just cut the rubber hose (its leaking right at the end of the clamp), and fit a nice little metal pipe in there and clamp it to some new hose, therefore in the end just replacing a small peice of hose where the leak was.

As for the clutch noise, I really would absolutely hate to drop the tranny again because I need to focus on graduating...any ideas of what it could be? We changed the pilot bearing, throwout bearing(which was significantly larger), greased everything up nicely, aligned the clutch perfectly. One thing also is that we used ATF fluid in the manual tranny. It was all we had at the moment.

:faint:

slider2828
05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Try searching.... Noob.... Clutch noise is a very common issue, look for posts about your noise....

You are instroducing restrictions to your fuel system by doing what you are saying. Replace the hose... Easy and reliable... a 20 min fix will reduce headaches of something worse later.

DataXUnknown
05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Try searching.... Noob.... Clutch noise is a very common issue, look for posts about your noise....

I tried searching, and found nothing that really described what kind of clutch noise this is. I'm really don't appreciate being called a 'Noob' when I have done my research. I've looked at all the clutch and transmission threads and FAQ's.

As for the hose, does this hose just slide out? It looks like its going straight into the gas tank, I can see one end by the differential, the other however is where the gas tank is. If it's a 20min job I have no problem just replacing the hose...just want to make sure I don't have to drop the gas tank or anything.

Now this clutch noise, this is my first time breaking in a clutch that is non OEM. I know clutches need a little wearing in, but maybe the clutch makes noise because it has never been used until now?

infinitexsound
05-24-2008, 01:25 AM
first off just cut off the hose with a utility knife if its worn out and replace the whole unit with new clamps...... for the clutch job... id say drain the daymn thing... and replace it with the right gear oil.... that sound is probably the TO bearing... did u torque down everything and made sure to install the fork right.. and the slave cylinder is engaging and disengaging the fork correctly?

get that fuel line fixed... u wouldnt want ur car to burn up, would u now.....

Def
05-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Replace the fuel hose. It goes from the fuel pump/sender unit to a hardline by the diff. Just take the "fuel pump access cover" off from the trunk/hatch and You should be able to get that end of it, the other end is by the diff as you know.

Grinding does sound like a TOB problem.

DataXUnknown
05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys, fuel line then is a simple fix.

The thing about the clutch is really wierd because its in nuetral and it makes noise when I let off the clutch pedal. The fork and TOB was installed correctly, I'm gunna drain the oil and put in the right stuff and see if that fixes it. Everything was torqued down to spec as well. The noise isn't very loud, it vibrates the clutch pedal a bit when it does make the noise.

chad91s13
05-24-2008, 11:41 AM
so hit me up when you get it fixed, i gotta show you my freshly painted pearl white 240

DALAZ_68
05-24-2008, 11:43 AM
i suggest video of the noise in question :ughug:

slider2828
05-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Its the TOB because its new and getting pressure from the fork and the pressure plate. It SHOULD go away. I had the same problem, so drive it around for a couple of miles and see if it goes away. What TOB did you use? New 300zx? or Crappy exedy?

DreEzed
09-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Its the TOB because its new and getting pressure from the fork and the pressure plate. It SHOULD go away. I had the same problem, so drive it around for a couple of miles and see if it goes away. What TOB did you use? New 300zx? or Crappy exedy?

Sorry , to bring a old thread up but I have the same problem with TOB. Same situation just had it replaced with a whole clutch kit from Exedy OEM. Just wanted to know how the OP fixed the problem?