PDA

View Full Version : noob question about timing gun

nicku
05-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey guys
I am thinking to check my timing with timing gun. I have redtop SR.
I have searched a lot of threads. and everybody says connect a spark plug wire to my spark plug and the other side connect to the coilpack. and connect the timing gun to the spark plug wire.

now my question is, how do you connect the spark plug wire to the coilpack? They are both female ends, right? so how do I connect it right?

slider2828
05-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Get a real timing gun. Matco, MAC Tools, Snapon, and even cheap ones you borrow from Autozone basically has a round hook that you just slide onto your coilpack wires. THe other clamp goes to the negative of your battery.... That is it....

That is the setup.... Get a picture of a timing gun first instead of what other people say especially on forums.

burnsauto
05-23-2008, 07:17 PM
yeah... let the engine warm up, unplug the tps, and then you're ready to set the timing.

infinitexsound
05-23-2008, 07:19 PM
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6325/timinggunfy8.jpg

nicku
05-24-2008, 02:14 AM
my friend's got a timing gun, however, he said it is used for the spark plug wires car. and he is not sure if it can just work on the coilpack cars.
It has battery posts and spark plug wire connector and a timing degree adjustment. Do you guys think I can just use that one?

NI_YON_Zenki
05-24-2008, 02:49 AM
I love Dilla 2! oh my goodness! hawtness! but yeah, theres no such thing as a real timing gun, just real assertiveness at timing.

Best regards.

S14DB
05-24-2008, 02:50 AM
On the coil pack harness by the firewall you will find a loop of wire hanging out. Clip the pickup to that.

nicku
05-24-2008, 03:21 AM
On the coil pack harness by the firewall you will find a loop of wire hanging out. Clip the pickup to that.
do you have a picture of it? I am sorry but it will be really helpful.
thanks in advance

superaudi
05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
i tried the loop of the wire on the coilpack harness by the firewall and tried to connect witht he coilpack 1 wires, too. But the light doesnt work. I hook up the gun to an jumper because i have my battery in the back. Does it matter? or what did i do wrong?

slider2828
05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I hooked it right next to the coilpack #1 wires, and the neg. It just needs to be grounded, the gun gets positive from the coil pack when it fires... Just find good ground on your car.

nicku
05-24-2008, 01:47 PM
got it worked...thanks a lot guys

Z U L8R
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM
on some sr's the loop in the back reads differently than just clipping all 3 wires that go to coilpack 1. shitty autozone timing lights won't read by clipping the 3 wires going to the coil pack, but my timing light does and is right everytime that way. if i take it and clip the black loop, sometimes it's different, sometimes it's not. but i've never had a problem setting base timing by clipping the 3 wires going to the coil pack.
fwiw just my .02

Dave =]