PDA

View Full Version : Car Overheating

riot
11-27-2002, 06:51 PM
OK, so here is the story.

My car was in a front end collision months ago.  I finally got around to repairing it just now and started it up after letting it sit for a long time.  It cranked right over.  I upgraded my fans to dual 12" FAL fans and got a Koyo JDM Essential radiator.  I ditched the manual fan.

As I was driving around the parking lot I noticed that the temp gauge was getting high so I pulled it in the garage.  I replaced the thermostat today, and topped off the coolant, bled the air out the air relief valve, and started it up.  The coolant level would NOT go down and there was no way to tell if the t-stat opened or not.  Coolant actually began to spill out the radiator!!!  

Shouldn't the coolant level drop when the Tstat opens?  Does this mean that the Tstat is not opening?!  What could my problem be?!?!?  There are NO kinks in the rad hoses.

-ryan

DarkRaptor42
11-27-2002, 11:54 PM
you do have a resivour right? I had that problem when i got my new radiator but it eventually went away after I got the resivour in decent shape.

riot
11-28-2002, 09:08 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkRaptor42 @ Nov. 28 2002,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you do have a resivour right? I had that problem when i got my new radiator but it eventually went away after I got the resivour in decent shape.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
I assume that you are referring to the coolant overflow tank? &nbsp;Mine was destroyed in the accident so I bought a cheap one from Autozone. &nbsp;It does the job I guess.

-ryan