PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed swap reliability

S14redS
05-22-2008, 01:51 AM
wondering if anyone here know how reliable a 5 speed swap is? found a good 97 240sx but the only problem is that its an automatic. has anyone here done the swap? just want some feedback before i decide purchasing the car. thanks guys

imnotmatt1189
05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
no one here has done the swap yet. sorry.

DreamN
05-22-2008, 02:41 AM
If done right it's reliable. a bit more of a head ache with the wiring on the s14, but it's all pretty much a bolt-on/cut and splice. The 5 spd in the 240s is more reliable than the auto trans that's for sure.

turbocarslut
05-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I do not see where your concern for reliability lies? a.)Is it with an auto tranny being more susceptible to problems over a 5spd?... Or b.) is it with the actual conversion process?

a.) for this concern you will get a thread 50pgs long as everyone will have their own opinion.

b.) The conversion will make use of OEM parts from a donor car...so consider it stock.
Your car is OBD2 but I don't think there are provisions in their for the tranny. It is more emissions related so you wouldn't get check engine lights.

Not sure if the s14 ever came with traction control..if it didn't then you are ok.

You might get the O/D light like we get in the s13...but I just cut the wire to that bulb like everyone else.

I pm'd you a link to a writeup I found.

Phlip
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I am thinking that his concern is to how reliable a 5-speed swapped car would be compared to one that came with a 5-speed, so he can make a decision whether to get the one he can get now and swap it, or to keep shopping for a manual, so that will be what I answer:
Your swapped car's reliability will directly match the quality of the work/parts and attention to detail that went into the swap of the transmission/driveline. This is very much like any other work on a car to make it other than it came from the factory (i.e. engine swaps, suspension, etc...).
You will, however, be able to take solace in knowing that an automatic car will more than likely have seen less abuse than would have a car that came with a 5-speed. It's a double-edged sword, but you should really have no problem just as long as the work and parts are quality.

S14redS
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply fellas. My concern was the reliability of a swapped 5speed. Thanks for the write up Turbocarslut and also Phlip for understanding my dilema. I was thinking of keeping the auto as a commuter and just wait for the tranny to die before swapping the 5 speed. But DreamN do yuo think there will be problems smoging the car after a 5 speed swap. Thanks again guys.

fcdriver
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
its perfectly reliable as long as you dont f anything up doing the swap.

Jonnie Fraz
06-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply fellas. My concern was the reliability of a swapped 5speed. Thanks for the write up Turbocarslut and also Phlip for understanding my dilema. I was thinking of keeping the auto as a commuter and just wait for the tranny to die before swapping the 5 speed. But DreamN do yuo think there will be problems smoging the car after a 5 speed swap. Thanks again guys.

My brother is doin this same thing (drive till it dies), but as he is driving it he is aquiring the parts for the swap. Your best bet will be to get OEM S14 tranny since it has the CAS where the S13 does not. Look for the same year ECU and such to try to avoid Smog issues.
Look in the "archive" section Driftfreek did a great thread on the swap.

drftem
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
ive done the s13 swap and s14 swap on an obd2 just as easy on both cars.