PDA

View Full Version : how do i reach 500 HP?

lsx240
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
well anyways, i really want to do a ls1 swap, but i want to reach around 450 to 500 HP, NA, no nitrous, no superchargers, no turbos.........anyways, what are good ways to help me reach my goal of 500 HP with like, lets say..... $1000 to add on to the motor?

Blown240sx
05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
gl dude

I had a 408 stroker motor fully built in my 240sx and made 430 whp. Which is over 500 crank but your not going to make that ona stock cub. motor with just a grand in it. The heads alone for these motors will run in that range.

My Stock cub. LS1 I had in it before made 380 whp with mild ported heads, cam, under drive pulley, intake manifold, exhuast, 42 lb injectors and cold air intake.

I could get you to the 350-390 whp range with that money but youll need to find deals.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8777/enginegm1.jpg

fliprayzin240sx
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Boost (SC or turbo) and supporting mods for it is the easiest way to get you to 500hp. Had a buddy making a bit over 500whp in his firebird with the trunk mounted turbo setup up with injectors and aftercooler. Stock bottom end and HG. He went alcohol injection and was able to crank up the boost a bit more, made another 100hp with his setup.

SleeperSx
05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
your not going to get alot with 1,000 $

But the only way to make N/A HP is to stroke it. But your looking into the 3,000$ + to stroke it.

but STS makes a nice turbo kit, or the last option would be to supercharge it. IMO I would Supercharge it. They make a bolt on 500HP Kit.

gregfarz78
05-21-2008, 05:36 AM
But the only way to make N/A HP is to stroke it. But your looking into the 3,000$ + to stroke it.

You can get close to 500hp n/a without stroking it a buddy of mine only had heads, cams, and a tune he was putting down about 440-450 whp before those mods he dynoed 340 whp...not bad 100hp from those mods the thing was a beast and LOUD as hell. For $1000 good luck though he probably spent several thousand on heads and cams alone

SleeperSx
05-21-2008, 05:50 AM
You can get close to 500hp n/a without stroking it a buddy of mine only had heads, cams, and a tune he was putting down about 440-450 whp before those mods he dynoed 340 whp...not bad 100hp from those mods the thing was a beast and LOUD as hell. For $1000 good luck though he probably spent several thousand on heads and cams alone

Heads alone are close to 1500$ with springs and valves installed. Then you need Rockers, and that varies with your cam setup if you go roller or hydrollic, also pushrod stroke, Then a Nice exhaust and headers will cost you 1000$ if you go the cheap route, Also the bigger TB and intake, along with a fuel pump and injector upgrade. When all said and done yes you can make a good 450RWHP Which is over 500 crank, but your looking into the 5k range to do that.

SleeperSx
05-21-2008, 05:52 AM
This is the best guy I have found and cheapest to do Lsx work:

http://www.eportworks.com/ls1.html

Lloyd Elliott is who you need to talk to. Very cool guy and he goes very deep into detail of what you need.

vtech8r
05-21-2008, 06:15 AM
b18 vtec turbo mounted to a chevy silverado trans...damn that would be fast fast fast

SleeperSx
05-21-2008, 07:00 AM
I have heard of a guy around me that swapped a b18 Honda motor into a s13 chassis. I have not seen it yet but I hear he's running 30PSI setup on a Drift machine. WTF??? LOL I guess go cheap or go home, but HONDA is like a slap in the face for 240's I would rather see a Lsx Swap Any day. At least they sound damn good!!

SleeperSx
05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the Neg Reps asses, I didn't say I had a B18 in my ride!! If you thought I said it was Cool NO, your dead wrong, I just stated I knew someone around me that had done it in reply to the post above mine!! But thanks for the compliments anyways!!

ESmorz
05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
If you don't know, you aren't ready...

gregfarz78
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Heads alone are close to 1500$ with springs and valves installed. Then you need Rockers, and that varies with your cam setup if you go roller or hydrollic, also pushrod stroke, Then a Nice exhaust and headers will cost you 1000$ if you go the cheap route, Also the bigger TB and intake, along with a fuel pump and injector upgrade. When all said and done yes you can make a good 450RWHP Which is over 500 crank, but your looking into the 5k range to do that.

Yep he probalby spent at least 4-5k on all his mods to reach 450whp, its not cheap

SleeperSx
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Nothing is Cheap, Anymore. If your really looking into a v8 and a cheaper build do the Lt1, You can Stroke them alot cheaper and with supporting mods you can get the top end HP like a LS1. But with Either engine its going to take a combo to make that kind of power.

If your looking at a weight issue. I know my RB25 is heavier than a Lt1. So that shouldn't effect it at all.

g6civcx
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm slowly coming into this range myself, but I'm not concerned with power figures. My motor doesn't rev past 5,000 any way.

I focus more on torque because torque = wheel thrust = acceleration. Power alone doesn't tell you anything about the ability to twist the wheels. Power is just a made up metric to sell cars. Power has no real word utility. It's torque and the torque curve that matters.

Right now I'm making about 300 ft-lbs at the wheels on a stock $2,000 GMPP crate motor, Edelbrock 600 CFM carbs, headers, MSD, and open exhaust. No mods.

I think I can get 400 ft-lbs. easily with new cam, carb and heads and no other mods (prolly $1,000 or so) = $3k total on motor.

The shop I use think that I can push 500 ft-lbs on the stock bottom end, but that would be pushing it and the motor most likely would not live very long.

This is my first season with the new motor so I'm just going to leave it at 300 and see how it pans out. I do feel that I can handle 400 so that's no big deal.

500+ would most likely require a supercharger and a rebuilt bottom end for my sanity. At this point, I looked at prices and it's actually better to buy crate motors because parts + labors > crate motor.

For my own car, I'm estimating that if I bought a crate motor with supercharger setup and can dial it up to 700 if I wanted to, I'm looking at somewhere around 7-8000 for parts if I can get a discount, maybe more towards 10k.

Again, this is for my own motor and I haven't checked prices for LS series, but it should give you an idea of what you're working with.

Another option is to convert your LS motor to carb. Then parts will be cheaper.

On2
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
$1000 wont get you anywhere. For that amount of power you are looking north of $4000 easily.

You should start with longtubes, FAST 92 intake with 92mm throttle body, some head upgrades (pushrods, valve springs, lifters), a badass cam, true dual 3" exhaust with an X-pipe, heads.

LS240
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
You can't quite make that power for that little cash. But you can give yourself a good base to work with. Use the money and get some headers and a full exhaust with high flow cats and muffler. Or go over to LS1Tech(you really should register there anyways) and start looking around in the classifieds for good deals on used parts.

A few months back I was looking around on there and found a used Fast 90 intake manifold for $300 and used 243(LS6) heads that had been ported and polished with oversized Ferrea valves, upgraded rockers, etc., with only a couple thousand miles of use for $400. So if you found a deal like that again $700 could get you pretty far. Then save your money and get the aforementioned headers and exhaust, plus intake, cams, bigger injectors, and a good tune. Those parts should net you close to 500hp NA, and if you bargain hunt won't cost all too much either.

Isn't it funny when you see threads like this, then you see threads with people asking how they can get 200hp NA out of their KAs? Kinda puts things in perspective.