PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Kit Installation

Zenki Two40
12-19-2001, 10:51 AM
Just wondering if the instructions are sufficient enough to put everything on, on your own, and learn in the process.

sykikchimp
12-19-2001, 11:43 AM
I've heard that the Nsport kits instructions are very good, where as the FMax instructions aren't that great.  What instructions are you using? (I am assuming its a kit, since you have instructions)

Zenki Two40
12-19-2001, 11:45 AM
i wish i had one right now, but i'm just doin' some research i guess. i'm planning on turboing my ka this summer though since i have low miles. n i heard fmax doesn't even come w/ instructions, so maybe nsport would be the way to go. there's a shop here though that would put it in for $300.

uuninja
12-19-2001, 12:44 PM
Don't rely on manufacturer instructions. Get a good understanding of how turbo systems work. That way you can address and trouble shoot problems as they occure. A good book to read Corky Bell's Maximum Boost.

transient
12-19-2001, 04:57 PM
Personally, for 300 i'd have the shop do it.

uuninja
12-19-2001, 05:08 PM
It all depends on the level of involvement the person wants to have with their car. Personally I would never have a shop do some thing I could do my self, even if it was cheap as ####. With the exception of stuff that is routine and a PITA (changing oil in the winter is a PITA). Otherwise you never learn any thing about how your car works which I think is half the fun.

12-19-2001, 05:21 PM
$300 to install a turbo is unheard of.  That's really cheap! i'll go with that.

konkman
12-19-2001, 06:31 PM
If you can get it installed for $300, go for it.  You save yourself alot of stress.  

Is it a reputable shop, for $300 I'd invest in some gauges too (Boost and Air/Fuel Ratio), that way you know if things are running correctly or not.

Zenki Two40
12-19-2001, 07:51 PM
i guess it's a good thing i won't have a kit for a while cuz by then i can c if he does quality work. he just started his own full time import shop and does all the work for anything basically on his own (he has no employees except for certain ppl that he calls in for stuff he don't know how to do, which is rare). but i've heard of other shops here ranging from $700-$1000 to put a turbo kit on. i don't wanna have it done for $300 then find out that he didn't know what he was doing n be having problems n possibly have something break down on me ya know.

Arcane
12-19-2001, 08:15 PM
i'll install it for an "in n out" burger and a vanilla shake!

well, not really...