PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Gauge

Volchok
05-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a generic oil pressure gauge that was in my s13 when I bought it however not hooked up. I am trying to find the quickest and least expensive way to get it functioning. I have heard of kits and I am pretty sure I have to get an adapter block for the oil filter, but was hoping for some suggestions. It doesn't have anything but a positive, negative and dimmer wire, with two brass screw posts.

thanks.

DataXUnknown
05-17-2008, 11:26 PM
There is a sensor that you need to unscrew right next to your oil filter (You *EDIT* should *EDIT*remove the oil filter to install it, thus drain your oil). Once you do that then just screw in the end of the gauge pretty tightly (Don't want it to leak). If your gauge didn't come with an adapter, you will need to buy one. Mine came with one for my SR so I don't really know the pricing.

And the wires are pretty simple connect it to a positive source, then just ground it to a screw somwhere, and the brass screw posts are for mounting.

WagDatto
05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
For a mechanical sender, there aren't any wires you need to hook up, it's all pressure related. My generic gauge came with the small plastic tube and all fittings I needed to hook it up. You don't NEED to remove the filter, but it would make it easier (trust me). If you remove the electric plug, it shouldn't drain any oil unless you're topped off past full.

Volchok
05-17-2008, 11:44 PM
yeah that is kinda my point of the thread, I don't have a sending unit, adapter nor wires with the gauge, thats what I was looking for,something not brand specific.

Volchok
05-17-2008, 11:45 PM
For a mechanical sender, there aren't any wires you need to hook up, it's all pressure related. My generic gauge came with the small plastic tube and all fittings I needed to hook it up. You don't NEED to remove the filter, but it would make it easier (trust me). If you remove the electric plug, it shouldn't drain any oil unless you're topped off past full.

thats answers a lot, I thought it was pressure, so the gauge I have is probably worthless, might as well get the DEFi one to match my water temp gauge when I have the money.

thanks