PDA

View Full Version : HEAD GASKET!!!! help

awdstroker
05-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Was up guys i just bought a apexi head gasket and i was just seeing if you are surposed to spray copper spray on it or not....

boogerlovers
05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
why didnt you search...its been covered before

KidSaru
05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
You actually paid $200+ for a head gasket? :keke:

Regardless, don't spray anything on a mhg.

reccakun08
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Some people swear by the copper spray some dont. ive read both sides that sprayed and didnt spray with no leaks.

awdstroker
05-14-2008, 02:33 PM
cool no i got it at coast i own a shop in pensacola....

used240sxparts
05-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Sigh, you own a shop... shouldnt you know this?

awesomenick
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
If it's like a Cometic, you don't spray it. You have to make sure the head and block surface are both nearly perfect. In my KA-T I misted the cometic with copper spray and never had problems, but it never went over 10 psi.

Sileighty_85
05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
You dont have to do it, I have a Power Enterprise on mine, I didnt do that crap never had a problem I've ran at 17PSI and came close to over heating once never had a problem.

Also got a friend who used Apexi with out still no problems on it.

You dont need to.

Just make sure you deck the head and inspect the block if its all gravy slap in on and touqe it down with some ARP's and never worry about it again

awesomenick
05-14-2008, 03:13 PM
True, but I have ARP head studs, and my head was decked. The first Cometic I had only lasted about 100 miles. The copper sprayed one is still fine. I could have done something wrong installing the first one though.

Sileighty_85
05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I could have done something wrong installing the first one though.

You did......you used a Cometic I KID, I KID.
Cometic is nice......FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

Sorry I had to say it.

I've got nothing against Cometic
Ive never delt with Cometic, but Apexi design is superior to cometics, so he will be fine without that Copper Spray.

burnsauto
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
cometic hg's suck.

a'pexi are def. one of the better ones to get, use no copper spray.

TheArkitekt
05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
the black "stuff" on the gasket is the adhesive, so no spray needed. i would put a touch of super grey on the area around the timing chain though. it tends to leak there.

awdstroker
05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
cool thanks guys.... i just wanted to no what yall thought i put it back together with no copper spray... but i am not sure where to put the supre grey at around the timing cover and super grey is that just rtv or special shit if so where do i get it thanks again....

golfer17
05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
You actually paid $200+ for a head gasket? :keke:

Regardless, don't spray anything on a mhg.

apexi and power enterprise are the only headgaskets I've seen that are designed properly and the only ones that are tried and proven to work properly, so I think it's definitely worth the price in the long run. (One thing is for sure, I'll never buy a cometic again)

HalveBlue
05-22-2008, 11:22 PM
First engine I built I use a Cometic with copper spray. That engine ended up with a blown head gasket.

Second engine I used an OEM gasket with Permatex on the advice of my machinist. No problems.

But honestly, I don't think it had anything to do with what I sprayed on the head gasket.

My advice, bring the head/block to a machine shop to make sure everything's within in spec. Much more important than what, if anything, you spray on the gasket.

Whether or not to spray anything on the gasket seems to be more personal preference than anything. Until I see some independent testing to demonstrate what effects gasket spray vs. no spray has I'll go with Permatex, if only because a machinist with 15+ years experience swears by it.

rps13sh
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
cost on that gaskets like 78bucks or so. i didnt spray but i got a leak elsewhere. nothing to do with headgasket so NO you dont need to i guess.

stillen
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I have apexi headgasket, super quality, NO LEAKS WHAT SO EVER with 1.1bar boost and no copper spray.