PDA

View Full Version : Na Sr20

sxylaxplyr8
05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Has anyone dealt with the N/A SR20 before? I came across one and I was thinking aobut buying it instead of rebuilding my KA. It's 9:1 compression though so I know if I wanted to turbo it the engine would need to be revamped. Has anyone done that? if so how expensive? Any info would help.

posdrift240
05-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Just turbo you KA and save yourself time and trouble. The SR will be nothing other than trouble.

posdrift240
05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
9:1 compression is nothing.

I run 9:6:1 in my RB!!

sxylaxplyr8
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
any other feed back which helps?

txrxs
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd say rebuild the KA, but fwd guys have been boosting NA SR's for years with pretty good results. I have a feeling you're doing this for cost reasons so in that case find another KA, drop it in, call it a day.

!Zar!
05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
No point putting a lower displacement motor in, just to do so.

Rebuild the ka. It's better to have a new engine than a new, used engine.

Not to mention, the sr20de is completely different from the sr20det.

SHIFT_*grind*
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah, swapping in an N/A SR20 would be pretty worthless. Displacement is a good thing.

FRpilot
05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
No point putting a lower displacement motor in, just to do so.

Rebuild the ka. It's better to have a new engine than a new, used engine.

only reason to put it in is if you were going for better gas mileage or got the full swap cheap like for $400 and your ka is dying. if ka isn't dying, i wouldn't even waste $400 to swap that in.

plus jdm sr20de would not pass visual if that matters to you.

RPS13nutt
05-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I myself own a sr20de and love it, no major problems in 3 years of me having it.
Picked it up because my ka24e siezed up and this was available.
I drive it like hell, and rev like hell but this is just me

Best thing to try would be to ride in it, drive it, get your feel, and decide for yourself.
And thats not just for the srde swap, but for any other one you might want to choose, ka-t, sr-t, rb, vq.

McCoy
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Has anyone dealt with the N/A SR20 before? I came across one and I was thinking aobut buying it instead of rebuilding my KA. It's 9:1 compression though so I know if I wanted to turbo it the engine would need to be revamped. Has anyone done that? if so how expensive? Any info would help.
I have one, it came with the car and was basically prepped for a turbo, as that is what the previous owner was planning. When I say prep, the block was drilled/tapped for the oil return and a spec3 clutch/PP was installed.

It does come with higher CR, 9.5:1 and uses a distributor setup -vs- the COP of the DET's, but don't let that get you down. Currently I'm running it at 12-14psi and have done about 4 track days without issue since I turboed the car. with a properly tuned ECU, you should have nothing to worry about.

The nice parts about using the DE, is that I retained the KA wiring harness (rewired two plugs, IACV and TPS), use an easy to find B13 JWT ECU, and just find a cheap T28 setup on the forum and pick out whatever injectors and maf you want to use, I went with MSD 50lb injectors and a Z32 MAF.

If I had gotten the car with a KA, I would have gone the same route...

http://www.sr20forum.com/gallery/data/959/medium/S13_after_turbo_install_06.jpg