PDA

View Full Version : Dual fuel cells?

spanishricer
05-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Just wondering if anyone on the board is running dual fuel cells? Or an additional fuel cell with the oem fuel tank?

I was thinking about installing a separate 5-gallon fuel cell strictly for race gas in the trunk, so I wouldn't have to worry about draining the pump gas when I wanted to run high boost maps.

I saw this setup on an Evo, and it looks pretty slick.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=319156

Not exactly what I'm wanting to run, but it gives me an idea. I already have a single Bosch pump with stainless feed and return lines. And my Greddy fuel rail is a dual feed design. So theoretically, if I installed a separate fuel cell for race gas, I would need an additional pump, and could feed this tank into the other end of the fuel rail? But how would I swap over from tank to tank?

Just wondering if anybody knew of or had any experience with this type of setup.

g6civcx
05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Actually, this is quite simple.

You can re-use everything from the pump to the fuel rail unless you're anal about mixing a small amount of different gases together.

The easiest way is to put the fuel pump feed line on selector valve, each branch of the selector valve going to a different tank.

The only complication with this is if you're running a fuel return line from the fuel rail, you should return the fuel to the same tank where the fuel came from, unless you don't care and just return the fuel to a single tank. Or if you can delete the return line somehow.

I run a mechanical fuel pump so I don't need a return line. It would be really simple for me to run a dual-tank setup.

When you want to switch over, evacuate fuel from the rail just like you're doing a fuel filter install. Disable the fuel pump and idle until the engine dies. Then switch the selector valve, turn on the fuel pump, and off you go.