PDA

View Full Version : S15 6 speed in an s13

Pblesh85
05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Im currently trying to decide if an s15 trans. is worth the trouble of swapping into an s13. I tried to search for a detailed "how to" on here but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have a link to one or can you provide DETAILED instructions and a Parts list. I know you can use a j30 rear end and it needs a special clutch. Also different bolts to mate it to the engine. But do I need a different driveshaft, crossmember, wire harness, ect ? ? ?

If anyone can help me out in deciding if its worth it($/time/labor) or not it would be appreciated. As for people who do not like six speeds or just think an s14 trans is the shit. Please do not post here. I love close ratio gears, and I am tired of having something that everyone and their mother has.

Thank you for the help and reading this.:eek:

02BRB20
05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
you didnt really search...so yeah

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=158770&highlight=s15+speed

bo2o
05-07-2008, 08:53 PM
your about to get a lil flame.

yes you need drive shaft, rear end
your better off getting a 5speed

plus the 6 speed is weaker.

waste of money for something un needed.

slow40sx
05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
from what i've heard there is a reason no one rocks the 6spd, i was told it was very weak and unreliable and you could drive a stock s15 next to a jersey wall and here the tranny chattering, i would definitely go with a 5spd, if you wanna be different do it else where on the car, just my advice

Sileighty_85
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM
you want differnt here ya go
http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/OS-Giken-5-Speed-Close-Gear-Kit-w-Main-Shaft-FD3S-FC3S-S13-S14-S15-16746

or for your 6 speed close gear
http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/NISMO-Silvia-180SX-Reinforced-Cross-6-Speed-Transmission-20977

Silverbullet
05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
i was under the impression that ppl with S15 motors liked S13 5 speeds better.

Sir
05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
z33 if you want 6 speed.

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 07:44 PM
z33 if you want 6 speed.

I already had the idea of swapping in a z33 6 speed but when I posted my thoughts no one thought it was a good idea or had done it before. So they said it was not worth the money, time, effort, ect . . .

Unless you mean to buy a z33 an mod it. In that case if you find one with a back seat that you can buy for 5-6 grand im all over it.

zavala
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
god i want a os giken gear set and input shaft. that plus a nasty rear end would give you something very diffrent from what everyone runs :eek3d:

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
As for everyone who says its unreliable, too exspensive, ect . . .

Take a look at most s13's. its a 15 plus year old car that is VERY hard to find with out being in an #1. accident #2. straight frame #3. GOOD running order(and by good I mean you buy it take it home and can drive it for a year with out having to fix ANYTHING).

Let alone trying to find one with all three of thoes qualities. Dont get me wrong, I love the "s" chassie but at the same time I hate it and everything about it.

Now it is a pretty easy car to work that is well documented. But no one that is a real "nissan guy" (or girl) buys a 240sx and expects that they will not have to fix anything on it or give it a little bit of tlc. It goes hand in hand.

While most people that walk down the street and see an 1989sx that has miss matched fenders, two sets of wheels, four different tires, no interior, a red seat, steering wheel with no airbag, zip ties holding on the bumpers, it smells like oil, and the front half of the car is primered. The person who owns it will shit a brick if some soccer mom opens her door in the mall parking lot and smacks it.

Im that guy(thats not my car. . . anymore) and I know its going to be work if I decide to go that route. But when it all comes together it will be a work of art, at least in my oppinion.

So if you dont like the s15 trans. dont buy one, and then "go sit on a pole and rotate".

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 08:22 PM
you didnt really search...so yeah

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=158770&highlight=s15+speed

And as for not looking for the thread. . . I was up all night putting my class A's together. So no, I did not look that hard.

Oh well, I will put myself in time out.

zavala
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
dude don't get pissy cause people told you the S15 tranny was weak and a not worthy swap. they're just giving you the advice/warnings they know about it. and you don't have to explain that whole big spew about the "love" of the s chassie, it has nothing to do with the S15 6-speed. lol stay on topic in your own thread

SleepR 240sx
05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Basically from what I understand:

Tranny won't hold over 350+ HP.
Unreliable at anywhere a good bit over stock.
New drive shaft/rear end

Basically not worth the money for the extra gear, I'm sure a lot of us (including me) would love having a sixth gear but it's def. not worth the money. Drift cars using the 6sp sr tranny have os giken gearsets to stand up to the abuse.

floodo1
05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Basically from what I understand:

Tranny won't hold over 350+ HP.
Unreliable at anywhere a good bit over stock.
New drive shaft/rear end

Basically not worth the money for the extra gear, I'm sure a lot of us (including me) would love having a sixth gear but it's def. not worth the money. Drift cars using the 6sp sr tranny have os giken gearsets to stand up to the abuse.

so what you really mean to say is "6 spd kicks ass!!!! ... if you upgrade the gears"

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I am staying on topic and I appreciate the veiws of people who know more than me. I gave the whole spew to get the idea that when someone has an idea or thought about doing something to their car. And everyone says its a bad idea, impracticle, ect . . . That its the guy thats willing to spend a little bit of time to make something that is known to be flawed into something that when you see pics and read the spec sheet. You say "damn thats nice" or "thats awesome".

Im not getting "pissy" I asked people that dont like the s15 trans to not post on my thread.

((sr)) kelly
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
grenading the 6speed is inevitable

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Im all ears if someone can tell me another way to get a 6speed for around $1,000

My car after its tune will only be around 275-290 whp. Right now im about 240-250 ish. Thats not alot of power.

Wabash9000
05-08-2008, 09:30 PM
From what I have heard the 6 speed doesn't gain you much. It only lowers highway rpms by 300rpm or so(if I remeber correctly) and furthermore there is NO way to get the spedo to work. The speed sensor is located in the rear differental as opposed to in the transmission and because of the different location and timing ring size there is no way to have one transfer to another. So it is really only good for a track car, but track cars would do better with the 5 speed's ratios and the fact that they don't have to shift as often.

+1 for trying to make your car unique but it is just so absurdly impractical that nobody has any desire to put any effort to it.

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 09:40 PM
If more gears are not benificial to a cars performance. Why are all the new sports cars 6 speeds or in the r35's case a 7 speed. I had a 6 speed in my sti and I have one in my 01 z28. Its just more fun and allows for a better power band at more speeds.

KiLLeR2001
05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
If more gears are not benificial to a cars performance. Why are all the new sports cars 6 speeds or in the r35's case a 7 speed. I had a 6 speed in my sti and I have one in my 01 z28. Its just more fun and allows for a better power band at more speeds.

Heh, I guess more gears = better. I should go buy a Semi Truck then and really rock some n00bs on teh streets.

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I will rock a 21 speed

What rpms are you at going 75 in 19th ?

smart ass

LA_phantom_240
05-08-2008, 09:53 PM
your about to get a lil flame.

yes you need drive shaft, rear end
your better off getting a 5speed

plus the 6 speed is weaker.

waste of money for something un needed.

Weaker. I love that argument. Weaker than what? Its not a weak transmission, but it is weaker than the 5-speed trannies.

Of course, when asking a question like this, I just assume that the person asking hasn't done any research and won't be putting down enough power to break the tranny anyway.

BlueKpS13
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Are you running a KA or an SR, becuase doesnt the S15 tranny bolt up to any SR20, thats what ive heard but not %100 sure. So if your running SR then it should fit (again from what ive heard) but if not then dont bother

Sir
05-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I already had the idea of swapping in a z33 6 speed but when I posted my thoughts no one thought it was a good idea or had done it before. So they said it was not worth the money, time, effort, ect . . .
Mazworx had the kit for a while, I know I was looking at them.

I went with Z32 myself for the SR. because those things are dirt cheap.

Oh and you can't compare T56 from the camaro to the S15 one. T56 is double overdrive vs S15 which has closer gear ratios. (sorry don't know about STi)

Hope this helps.

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Im running a black top s13. I never thought that the sr blocks were so different. Does anyone know if this is an issue ?

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
as odd as it sounds the sti and z28 have about the same power band.

The turbo lag feels like the na lag before it hits its torque band.

Sir
05-08-2008, 10:24 PM
http://www.mazworx.com/store/?event=displayProduct&product=21

here you go, SR-VQ adapter

sldbyuramg
05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
dude get the 6spd... so what if it is weaker. someone will probably swap with you who has one plus some cash. as far as weaker just get it chryo treated then get a longer gear. its your dream...DO IT

sldbyuramg
05-08-2008, 10:29 PM
ill just say....EVERYTHING is unreliable about the 240sx...u have to make them reliable. i don't even know how many times I've dealt with overheating with these damn things. 3 different cars and nothing is ever good enough for this f-ing car. fun car but extremely prissy.

LA_phantom_240
05-08-2008, 10:30 PM
ill just say....EVERYTHING is unreliable about the 240sx...u have to make them reliable. i don't even know how many times I've dealt with overheating with these damn things. 3 different cars and nothing is ever good enough for this f-ing car. fun car but extremely prissy.

Not prissy, just high strung.

Pblesh85
05-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Finally, some incouragement and not just "the s15 trans sucks".

Thank you for the z33 trans. adapter link. I now have more to think about. Anyone have any info about the swap ?

Thanks to anyone who is helping me.

Wife wants me off here so we can :love: . . . wink-wink, nudge-nudge, ect. . .

Be back tomorrow

Tenchuu
05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
it's eary to get the speed to work with the S15 trans. just get the S14 diff too. i had one for a while till the S15 trans i bought ened up not shipping over. they are not horribly common, but you can get one without too much effort. mine was 900 shipped with a 2 way LSD in it.

Sir
05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Z33 has been discussed and shown on FA to be just as tough as Z32 one.

I myself have a buddy who has a twin turbo Z and pushing around 500HP on stock trans.

racepar1
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM

No, everything is unreliable with YOUR 240sx, not ALL 240sx's. Your car is most likely unreliable because you almost certainly did not do the needed maintenance before you started throwing random parts at it. The first thing you do when you buy a used car to modify is do the maintenance. Put a thermostat, check for coolant leaks, replace any hoses that are bulging or oil soaked, fix all the miscellaneous fluid leaks, replace all the fluids, check the belts and tune-up, degrease the engine, etc..... I don't give a fuck if you want to do a motor swap eventually or not, DO THE MAINTENANCE! If you skip this step in the modding process you will end up with an unreliable piece of shit with a bunch of shiny parts on it. I'm so fucking sick of people talking about how unreliable their 240 is! Your 240 is unreliable because either you are a fucking idiot and don't maintain it, or the previous owner was an idiot who didn't maintain it and you are too dim to recognize that and handle the potential problems before they leave you stranded on the side of the fucking road!

end rant/

Now onto the topic. This guy is hell bent on a 6-speed because he wants to be dope. Typical hard parker! But oh well. I believe this is the second thread where all of zilvia has told him that it is pointless and unreliable with the s-15 trans, and un-godly expensive with the z-33 trans and will yeild very little (if any) gains. He now knows what he needs so let's just let the thread die like it deserves to.

DJ_Sunrise
05-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Blitz ran their 400ps S15 with the 6 speed for years without problems. They break down because people don't maintain them, or don't use the right fluid. The 6 speed takes a special gear oil similar to ATF (about 7w) just like MR2's, Supra 6 speeds, etc. Most people don't know. They change the 7w oil to MT oil about 12 times heavier than OEM recommends, and it fucks the transmissions up. Clearances are tight in most 6 speeds, and the super thick viscosity wreaks havoc. I see it happening more often than it should happen hahahahahaha. +1 for NOT looking at what OEM recommends..

-Bart

floodo1
05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
i say blow your budget and buy an xtrac, that way no one can say that its not durable :)

BFT Earl
05-09-2008, 02:23 AM
OEM recommendation is API GL-4 Viscosity SAE 75W-90 per S15 FSM

Depou
05-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Long time lurker, frist post!

People who say they are not reliable have they realy tried one? I have personnaly been in a 420whp S15 here in Montreal. They have gotten 0 problems with the tranny. I am myself looking to get a s15 tranny. I did some research and you'll need a black box thing for convert the speed signal to match your s13 speedo, new clutch + flywheel and a custom drive shaft. You can keep your old pumking.

Depends on what you want to do with your car, if you wanna drift it, go with the 5speed, but if you wanna do some lapping, 6speed anyday.

((sr)) kelly
05-09-2008, 06:41 AM
just stick with a 5 speed... so when you blow that you wont get too upset and can just get a ka24 tranny.. 290 whp is plenty to blow a 6 speed. the stock s15s have like 210ish

Wabash9000
05-09-2008, 06:42 AM
you would have to get the s15 pumpkin. The speed sensor is located back there.

sldbyuramg
05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
No, everything is unreliable with YOUR 240sx, not ALL 240sx's. Your car is most likely unreliable because you almost certainly did not do the needed maintenance before you started throwing random parts at it. The first thing you do when you buy a used car to modify is do the maintenance. Put a thermostat, check for coolant leaks, replace any hoses that are bulging or oil soaked, fix all the miscellaneous fluid leaks, replace all the fluids, check the belts and tune-up, degrease the engine, etc..... I don't give a fuck if you want to do a motor swap eventually or not, DO THE MAINTENANCE! If you skip this step in the modding process you will end up with an unreliable piece of shit with a bunch of shiny parts on it. I'm so fucking sick of people talking about how unreliable their 240 is! Your 240 is unreliable because either you are a fucking idiot and don't maintain it, or the previous owner was an idiot who didn't maintain it and you are too dim to recognize that and handle the potential problems before they leave you stranded on the side of the fucking road!

end rant/

Now onto the topic. This guy is hell bent on a 6-speed because he wants to be dope. Typical hard parker! But oh well. I believe this is the second thread where all of zilvia has told him that it is pointless and unreliable with the s-15 trans, and un-godly expensive with the z-33 trans and will yeild very little (if any) gains. He now knows what he needs so let's just let the thread die like it deserves to.

whoa whoa whoa... i havent done any modifications to any of my s13's motors...just suspension. i always beef up my suspension first.
you have no idea what kind of time i have put into all three of them to get them in good running condition because 3 people were dishonest when selling the car.
i my friend am not an idiot. i actually give you props on almost every post that i have read of yours because it is usually technical and on topic. you have reliable 240's because you are a mechanic and thats what you have time to do all day. i cant help it that im a framer and work 10 hours a day and get pissed when my car suddenly overheats on the way to work and i miss out on around 200 dollars for a day of work. after already installing a thermostat...radiator flush...oil change, and so on. i spent about 500 dollars in upkeep on each car within the first week.
any car that is 19 years old IS unreliable... like i fucking said....YOU HAVE TO MAKE THEM RELIABLE.

landins13
05-09-2008, 07:31 AM

fuel economy and nothing else, 6th gear has the same function that 5th gear does its an overdrive gear to maintain halfway decent gas mileage while cruising, the highest gear in a car from factory is intended to be an overdrive gear for highway speeds.

fliprayzin240sx
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Are you dumb as shit...have you even done a research on why we say its not worth going to an S15 tranny? If you atleast did half a research, you would have known already that there is no added benefit to running an S15 tranny. The 5 speed trannies and the S15 trannies have the same final drive. So that means it aint gonna save you gas in with the 6th gear. No, you aint gonna gonna be doing any faster with it either. That means at 80mph, your tach will still show that youre at 4k rpm.

2nd, 5 speed and 6 speed trannies use the same bell housing. K lets see, an extra gear in the same housing...hmmm...wonder how they did that, oh yah make more room by making smaller gear to make up for the extra gear. Thats the reason its weaker, stuff an extra gear in the same amount of room.

3rd, you do know the speed sensor for the damn swap is in the in difff and not the tranny right? So that means you need to get the S15 pumpkin/diff. How often do you run into an S15 rear end around here? Slim to none...thats another shit you gotta buy to make it work. Then theres the damn wiring and making the speedo work. Oh S13/S14 speedo meter aint gonna work, well it will but its gonna be absofuckinglutely off.

Now with no real advantage...is it still work getting a damn 6 speed? No, dont bother comparing this shit to other 6 speed, 7 speed, 39483929018speed trannies because its been discussed since before you even knew what the fuck an S-chassis is. You want a 6 speed, FUCKING GET A Z33 tranny!!!

PS: I have an Spec R S15 engine, this car had eaten 2 6-speed S15 tranny, right now im sitting on a S14 tranny. It went thru 1 more S13 and CA tranny after the 2 S15 trannies. Im 1 step closer to committing to an R33 GTS25T (RB25DET) Tranny since the S14 tranny will probably take a poop too...

racer98
05-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Im currently trying to decide if an s15 trans. is worth the trouble of swapping into an s13. I tried to search for a detailed "how to" on here but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have a link to one or can you provide DETAILED instructions and a Parts list. I know you can use a j30 rear end and it needs a special clutch. Also different bolts to mate it to the engine. But do I need a different driveshaft, crossmember, wire harness, ect ? ? ?

If anyone can help me out in deciding if its worth it($/time/labor) or not it would be appreciated. As for people who do not like six speeds or just think an s14 trans is the shit. Please do not post here. I love close ratio gears, and I am tired of having something that everyone and their mother has.

Thank you for the help and reading this.:eek:

why is this thread here, why are you asking others to make a decision for you ?

um
all parts for the DET only S15
1) S15 starter
2) S15 Flywheel+bolts for the transmission
3) S15 6-speed transmission 900-1500
4) Drive sahft drop off at drive saft shop and make into 1 peice
5) S15 dust sheild
6) Nismo / cltuch / master /fork / salve /

zenki S15 6-speeds have a speed sensor in the caseing , kouki 's do not have this , speed sensor is in the Diff in the back , transmissions that have a 99 white tag on the bell houseing of the trasmission are a Nismo N1 OS giken transmision gear set option.

I had 20 of them I sold a while back.

fliprayzin240sx
05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
On top of what he said, you wont find a detailed instructions...there are few people who have done this swap. Few have succeeded in making their speedo work. The few who did, went thru all kinds of issue before they made it to work. That ranged from rewiring, S15 pumpkin, and S15 speedo to make it work. Some when the completely custom route when it came to their speedo.

coolcatracing
05-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I would ask how many people have direct knowledge of the six speeds and how many are going off what they heard on the internet or a magazine. Fact is many TT cars still run the six speed and its fine. The problem comes when you're trying to push much over 400whp through it, even the five speeds don't like it much but will put up with it. We've been running the stock 6 speed in our S15 for over 2 years now with nearly 360whp and it has no problems. If you beat on it all the time any trans you put in there will die. If you can shift and don't try to shift lock or shift too fast the 6 speed is fine. As for the time and trouble its not worth it. You have to run a different clutch and then all the fun of getting the speed sensor to work. I'd spend the money making a little more power and then used the torque rather than closer gears to do the work.

floodo1
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Are you dumb as shit...have you even done a research on why we say its not worth going to an S15 tranny? ... The 5 speed trannies and the S15 trannies have the same final drive. ...

2nd, 5 speed and 6 speed trannies use the same bell housing.

3rd, you do know the speed sensor for the damn swap is in the in difff and not the tranny right? ... How often do you run into an S15 rear end around here? ... Then theres the damn wiring and making the speedo work.

You want a 6 speed, FUCKING GET A Z33 tranny!!!

PS: I have an Spec R S15 engine, this car had eaten 2 6-speed S15 tranny, right now im sitting on a S14 tranny. It went thru 1 more S13 and CA tranny after the 2 S15 trannies. Im 1 step closer to committing to an R33 GTS25T (RB25DET) Tranny since the S14 tranny will probably take a poop too...

well maybe you're HALF as dumb as shit...

so if the s15 has the same 6th gear as other trannies 5th gear you could run a taller final drive to extend the s15 5th gear to the same overall ratio as normal 5th gear and then have a real overdrive 6th.

the gears arent in a bell housing, they're in the tranny case, which is connected to the motor by the bell housing.

s15 doesnt have a speed sensor, the ecu converts the diff mounted abs sensor data to drive the speedometer. maybe you should have searched your self!

and really your argument about going through 2 s15 trannies holds no water because you ALSO went through and s13 and CA, AND expect to go through s14.......so you've gone through EVER s chassis tranny...sounds like you abuse the hell out of your tranny and are COMPLETELY abnormal

in the end though, really why go s15 6 speed when mazworks makes the sweet z33 tranny adapter, and a z33 tranny can be bought here in the US NEW for <2k and you wont have to worry about it.

chibi.penguin85
05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
well maybe you're HALF as dumb as shit...
in the end though, really why go s15 6 speed when mazworks makes the sweet z33 tranny adapter, and a z33 tranny can be bought here in the US NEW for <2k and you wont have to worry about it.

I have to agree. It would make more sense to get the z33 tranny since they are available in teh U.S.

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Are you dumb as shit...have you even done a research on why we say its not worth going to an S15 tranny? If you atleast did half a research, you would have known already that there is no added benefit to running an S15 tranny. The 5 speed trannies and the S15 trannies have the same final drive. So that means it aint gonna save you gas in with the 6th gear. No, you aint gonna gonna be doing any faster with it either. That means at 80mph, your tach will still show that youre at 4k rpm.

2nd, 5 speed and 6 speed trannies use the same bell housing. K lets see, an extra gear in the same housing...hmmm...wonder how they did that, oh yah make more room by making smaller gear to make up for the extra gear. Thats the reason its weaker, stuff an extra gear in the same amount of room.

3rd, you do know the speed sensor for the damn swap is in the in difff and not the tranny right? So that means you need to get the S15 pumpkin/diff. How often do you run into an S15 rear end around here? Slim to none...thats another shit you gotta buy to make it work. Then theres the damn wiring and making the speedo work. Oh S13/S14 speedo meter aint gonna work, well it will but its gonna be absofuckinglutely off.

Now with no real advantage...is it still work getting a damn 6 speed? No, dont bother comparing this shit to other 6 speed, 7 speed, 39483929018speed trannies because its been discussed since before you even knew what the fuck an S-chassis is. You want a 6 speed, FUCKING GET A Z33 tranny!!!

You are so very right. I have not done much research on doing the swap. Let me tell you why. About two and a half weeks ago I got back from Afghanistan. I had been there for 15 months with NO FUCKING LEAVE to see my family or to unwind from the army. Oh, and thats after 5 months of basic, ait, and jump school, also with no leave. Since I joined I have only had spent a total of 64 days with my family in a total of 21 months ! ! !

So I do appoligize if I have not had as much time you, to sit on my god damn unappreciative ass to sit and read shit about a little known subject and voice my oppinion to someone with less knowledge on the subject.

So once more, I offer my most sincere appologies on my lack of knowledge on this obscure topic.:mrmeph:

Also if you go through so many transmissions you might want to think about changing your driving habbits.

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
why is this thread here, why are you asking others to make a decision for you ?

um
all parts for the DET only S15
1) S15 starter
2) S15 Flywheel+bolts for the transmission
3) S15 6-speed transmission 900-1500
4) Drive sahft drop off at drive saft shop and make into 1 peice
5) S15 dust sheild
6) Nismo / cltuch / master /fork / salve /

zenki S15 6-speeds have a speed sensor in the caseing , kouki 's do not have this , speed sensor is in the Diff in the back , transmissions that have a 99 white tag on the bell houseing of the trasmission are a Nismo N1 OS giken transmision gear set option.

I had 20 of them I sold a while back.

I am not asking anyone to make a descision for me. Im a big boy now, my mommy said I can think for myself.

I was just asking for info on the subject.

sldbyuramg
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
look...if you want the 6th gear...just go for it. if it breaks...it breaks...if not you have a closer gear ratio and your 6th gear. as for better gas mileage... usually this doesn't help much because the gears are closer ratio. i don't always post the best replies i guess but i figure if you have a dream or an idea that would make your car..."somewhat" original, then go for it. you can make any tranny bulletproof it might cost you some money but...fuck it

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Why is everyone so pissed off ?

Do you all hate the s15 trans that much ? Is it because its really flawed or because your taking everyone elses oppinion ? How many of you that do not like the idea have acually had one break on you ? Probably not many of you.

As for the z33 trans, if its not too much more exspensive than the s15 trans. I will probably go that route. It was my first choice anyway.

And no, I do not want to run a s13/s14/ka24 trans. just because its easy to get. Sorry for not conforming to the masses and buying what everyone else has. I like a 6 speed for alot of reasons. NONE OF WHICH ARE FUEL ECONOMY ! ! !

I just want to enjoy my car.:rant2:

floodo1
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I like a 6 speed for alot of reasons. NONE OF WHICH ARE FUEL ECONOMY ! ! !:

hahahahah yeah d00d, welcome to the world of 240sx's :) !! everyone just assumes you're like them and like stupid low offset wheels, drifting, shitty suspension, and wild JDM TYTE body kits.

no one yet has mentioned the consequences of the 6spd and 5spd having the same last gear (5th in 5spd = 6th in 6spd), which is that the 6spd is a CLOSE RATION transmission relative to the 5 speed!
now why would you want that?????????? hahahahhahahahhahah :)

seriuosly man, sorry you had to endure the flame fest. thanks for posting this up, because it HAS added a bit of concise knowledge to the subject.

On topic, i've seen z33 transmissions available used for around 1200, but even know its supposed to be about 1800. even if its more expensive i'm sure its worth it since its so much beefier, one of the examples of getting what you payed for.

also these nub 240 guys act like no one on the planet makes custom electronics...i'm sure you can find someone to make an abs sensor to speedometer convertor. have it tap the rear abs wheel sensor (or both) and generate a pulse for the speedometer....hell i bet you could find someone that would help you do it yourself, its really simple technology to do this.

racer98
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
On top of what he said, you wont find a detailed instructions...there are few people who have done this swap. Few have succeeded in making their speedo work. The few who did, went thru all kinds of issue before they made it to work. That ranged from rewiring, S15 pumpkin, and S15 speedo to make it work. Some when the completely custom route when it came to their speedo.

Finding an Early model S15 6speed that has the spedo sensor in the transmission is really rare, the later oness have the spedo sensors in the diff.. although getting all of the parts is a very hard thing. as i mentioned Stater / flywheel / transmission bolts are specific to the s15 6speed .

for the thread starter best thing to do if you really want this save up some money and pm me when your ready to do this.

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Does the s13 man. trans. crossmember need to be modded to fit the z33 trans ?

floodo1
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Does the s13 man. trans. crossmember need to be modded to fit the z33 trans ?

just call mazworx and talk to them if you're going to go this route. no amount of forum "wisdom" is going to compare to them on this particular subject

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
the z33 trans is not really an option. I called mazworx and they told me that there is alot of custom work you would need. Its not a reliable swap yet. But there is going to be a kit for a t56 soon. They did not have it schedualed yet though.

kyles1988
05-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Broadfield has an S15 SR20 with the 6 spd in his S13...he put down 400whp and has been driving on it pretty hard for 2 years. He has not had a SINGLE problem as far as the reliability of his transmission. His speedo works fine. It also worked fine when he had the OEM cluster in the car(before he went to the Defi setup). That is a single instance. I'm not debating other people blowing up their transmissions.

racepar1
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Fuck reliability, I am just not convinced that closer 1st through 5th gears will net any performance gains. At the track you will end up shifting more and every shift costs you time. From the limited amount of track experience that I have I have found that if it is possible to avoid a shift you are better of avoiding it than making the extra shift to be 100% in the powerband. A 6-speed trans is more of a selling point on newer cars than it is an actual performance item.

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
:gives: Im not the least bit concerned about what other people think should or should not go on their cars. I dont read what parts you put on your car and rush out to buy those based on what you think is the proper recipe for a car build. Stop trying to get me to ditch the 6 speed idea. If you dont want one in your car dont put one in your car.

For the last time, if you dont like the 6 speed idea. Then dont post on my thread. All I did was ask for help to find out what you need to do the swap. I did not post this for you to take all my rep points away.

Fucking lemmings:rl:

Pblesh85
05-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Please lock this thread

ThatGuy
05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Lack of proper research + Flaming = Failure Thread of Doom