PDA

View Full Version : What size bolt is this?

Farzam
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I tried searching, I apologize if I haven't searched hard enough, but the exhaust bolt i'm looking for is apparently dealer only, and the dealer I called would not tell me what size it is.

Someone told me to get grade 8, but I still don't know what mm/thread pitch/length/etc.

PLEASE HELP this is the only difference between me driving my car and it sitting in my driveway.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8589/img0223tk8.jpg

Ninjabread
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Just go to your nearest auto parts store and buy something that fits, its not rocket science.

you should probably use a gasket too.

murda-c
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
on my car that was a stud, don't remember the size but if you take the cat into an auto parts store you can test fit some.

That or you can just drill out both holes and use a nut and bolt like i did.

T00ch
05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
ha thats pretty crazy... i had to saw zaw mine off and was gonna ask the same thing...what size.. but like he said...if u got something that fits then it works. simple as that

Farzam
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Just go to your nearest auto parts store and buy something that fits, its not rocket science.

you should probably use a gasket too.

Already thought of that.

Car is too far for me to go do all that jazz PLUS I already tried the whole "insert in hole see what happens" technique.

Ninjabread
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Right, I never had a stock cat, didn't know it was threaded ... for the sake of simplicity I'd drill it out, get a nut and bolt with some lock washers and call it a day.

los_inc
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
use a pair of vice grips
-los

tt99ol
05-06-2008, 02:32 PM
its 10mm x 1.25 i believe but it might be 1.50 buy one of each and call it a day

Matej
05-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Farzam!!!
I don't remember the size, but it's definitely not dealer only because I got a bunch of them at Ace Hardware.

Farzam
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Farzam!!!
I don't remember the size, but it's definitely not dealer only because I got a bunch of them at Ace Hardware.

Actually

I was gonna go to Ace Hardware and get em? I just dunno the size hahaha

IIIXziuR
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I think stock is something like 14mm x 1.25 pitch~M10

In my car its a 17mm Bolt x 1.25 pitch (Catco Cat)
With appropriate washers and nuts.

Can't you just get something that fits? Is stock pre threaded.?
I forget, sorry Farzi

GSXRJJordan
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't think the cat is threaded. I believe it's just a bolt/washer/washer/nut situation. I'd say stick to M10x1.25 by about 40mm.

Farzam
05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I failed to mention

totally not running stock cat

I just need stock cat sizing

"It's complicated"

IIIXziuR
05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah thats what I am thinking.
If thats the case, then anyone should have it.

Matej did it, so can you!
Tell the dealership to go fly a kite.

JVD
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Drill it out. Nut/bolt. Simple.

Why is this even a thread?

lonelydrifter
05-06-2008, 03:09 PM
If not running stock cat then I suppose you don't have the parts installed yet. Take the thing to ACE and find what works.

Show us what you are really working with and we may be able to help you better.

Farzam
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
If not running stock cat then I suppose you don't have the parts installed yet. Take the thing to ACE and find what works.

Show us what you are really working with and we may be able to help you better.

I'm working on an basically no-name exact replica of what I showed you in the picture. I'm running this current cat shown until I recieve the new one, and i'm only running that until I save up and get my full exhaust setup.

I don't want to drill it out. I don't want to put a nut and a bolt. It is not that simple. I asked for sizing, not suggestions. I appreciate your input though. This is a thread because I had a question I personally could not solve due to various answerds. Instead of having a car I can't drive, I decided i'd be willing to lose face to the zilvia community. I'd rather look like an idiot and learn than be an idiot and act a fool.

240esux
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

XACTLY!!!
you guys cant be serious.

Boostedkouki
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Either a M12 or M14 bolt with nut should work..

racepar1
05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
its 10mm x 1.25 i believe but it might be 1.50 buy one of each and call it a day

This is correct I believe. Not really rocket science though, why don't you just find a bolt that fits and measure the bolt size and thread pitch (with a thread guage)? Pretty simple.

Pank
05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
you def dont need a grade 8 bolt for that.
just curious, why cant you just run a bolt and a nut?

Farzam
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
This is correct I believe. Not really rocket science though, why don't you just find a bolt that fits and measure the bolt size and thread pitch (with a thread guage)? Pretty simple.

Gas is almost $4/gal. Back when it was around $2.50 I wouldn't mind driving all day to figure out petty shit like this but i'd much rather save money up for a little goal I have in my mind. Plus most of my cars are partially unnassembled.

LongGrain
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Right, I never had a stock cat, didn't know it was threaded ... for the sake of simplicity I'd drill it out, get a nut and bolt with some lock washers and call it a day.

bingo.

i have to replace exhaust bolts like every other week since i scrape so much that they rattle themselves out, just get some that fit, not a big deal.

Ninjabread
05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Gas is almost $4/gal. Back when it was around $2.50 I wouldn't mind driving all day to figure out petty shit like this but i'd much rather save money up for a little goal I have in my mind. Plus most of my cars are partially unnassembled.

Lol, worried about gas money and 5 cent bolts.. you shouldnt own cars.

sorry.

gprb25
05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
a lot of different answers..haha

Mine is a 14mm bolt. Just buy one a nut that fits it. Lock washer if u wanna.

OfourTHREEfive
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Why would you bolt that back up, it looks like its about to rust off?

Replace it with a test pipe.

racepar1
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Driving ALL DAY to find a bolt!!!??? What kinda car guy doesn't have a bucket of miscellaneous bolts lying around and know where the local hardware store is? Especially since most of your cars are "partially unassembled"! I just had to find a bolt for that EXACT part on saturday. I just dumped out my bolt bucket and boom 5 mins later I had the bolt in and tight.

Anyways the thread pitch is 1.25 for SURE, NOT 1.5. I forget if it is a 10mm bolt or a 12mm bolt though, and grade 8 is NOT necessary.

projectRDM
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
*IF* it's still OE, it's an M10x1.25. The OE unit has studs on it, nuts go towards the front.

Farzam
05-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Lol, worried about gas money and 5 cent bolts.. you shouldnt own cars.

sorry.

I'm unemployed right now, s my d.

Driving ALL DAY to find a bolt!!!??? What kinda car guy doesn't have a bucket of miscellaneous bolts lying around and know where the local hardware store is? Especially since most of your cars are "partially unassembled"! I just had to find a bolt for that EXACT part on saturday. I just dumped out my bolt bucket and boom 5 mins later I had the bolt in and tight.

Anyways the thread pitch is 1.25 for SURE, NOT 1.5. I forget if it is a 10mm bolt or a 12mm bolt though, and grade 8 is NOT necessary.

What kinda car guy doesn't have a bucket of bolts? One that got fuckin robbed of them :sadwavey: Thank you for your input!

*IF* it's still OE, it's an M10x1.25. The OE unit has studs on it, nuts go towards the front.

I was hoping you'd post in this so I wouldn't have to PM you, everyone told me to ask you but I didn't want to be a douche and bother you.

sr20boostn20
05-27-2008, 07:43 AM
you serious, drill nut and bolt.

done

whats the problem here

bigOdom1
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
now that russ answered and an alternative solution already provided

farzy, where the hell have you been, your name is the wrong color and i thought you had gone into a hermit status. dont feed me no bullshit, just apologize for being lost and tell me you love me

Farzam
06-05-2008, 05:30 AM
now that russ answered and an alternative solution already provided

farzy, where the hell have you been, your name is the wrong color and i thought you had gone into a hermit status. dont feed me no bullshit, just apologize for being lost and tell me you love me

I've been around

Hermit, no. Busy with reality, yes.

I will feed you bullshit and you will eat it.

I do not love the hoes. Sorry.