PDA

View Full Version : HUD Electrical concerns

John_R
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I recently swapped in a HUD into a 92' Coupe. I didn't plug the HUD into the cluster at all. I just have the digital readout and the RPM's in the center (reason I went with this setup).

Whenever I turn the lights on (parking, or headlights) the radio will come on, without the key in the ignition. Which in one way is kind of cool cause I can listen to the radio without the key in, but worries me there is a problem somewhere.

Also, the brightness buttons work erratically and only controls the digital MPH readout. The gauges and the dash don't brighten or darken anymore. But once in a while I can get the MPH to get bright or dark. But its very random.

Any idea's what I might have done wrong, or is this a normal thing for HUD clusters?

loveskylines
05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
is your car originally equipped with HUD? they require a completely different harness than analog

if you dont and want to get rid of the cluster i want it!:aw:

John_R
05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, I have the short 16" subharness. To tell you the truth, everything works just fine. All the dummy lights, the RPM, and MPH. The rest of the instruments work as expected also. Just illumination is a little weird. The Radio thing isn't even a concern for me really.

loveskylines
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
check your dimmer switch... could be going to crap