PDA

View Full Version : Ebrake problem

jh3xp
05-04-2008, 05:50 PM
So today I parked my car and when i pulled my ebrake I hear a snap. Then my ebrake handle was all flimsy and could be pulled very easily and wouldnt stay up. My first thought was that my cable broke? But then I looked at the rear pads and they werent releasing. Do the pads usually stick when ebrake cables snap? or is my cable not snapped and something else happened. Any help would be nice thanks.

Mister.E
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
sound like your cable broke man. not really sure though, i've never had an e-brake problems.

JVD
05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm assuming cable...

E-brake has nothing to do with your calipers/pads. It's a drum brake inside the rear rotor.

Sileighty_85
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm assuming cable...

E-brake has nothing to do with your calipers/pads. It's a drum brake inside the rear rotor.

What???
That would be true if he had the Z32 Rear Brake conversion on it.

But im thinking he doesnt. when you pull the E-brake handle it pushes the piston out of the rear calipers and clamps the rotors

but to answer the OP Question if the cable snaps then the Ebrake will release and not hold

so yes you sanpped your E-Brake cable

you can still drive it, the rear calipers will still clamp when the brake pedal is pressed
just dont park on a hill

More than likely it this cable labeled "Front Cable" in the pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77277120@N00/535751057/sizes/o/

Ignore the red circles

JVD
05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
What???
That would be true if he had the Z32 Rear Brake conversion on it.
Ahahaha. My bad. Used to reading a million Z32 threads. Not paying attention.

Thanks for clearing it up for this kid. He would have been a little lost I think.

jh3xp
05-04-2008, 06:49 PM
In that case does anyone have a write up of how to swap the ebrake cable?

And thank you all for you help.

projectRDM
05-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Do you really need one? Clip on each end, one bolt on the subframe, one on the chassis. Completely self explanatory.

jh3xp
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
okay thank you. I just didnt know what was involved sorry.