PDA

View Full Version : engine bearing choices and preferneces

tylerdurdon
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
So i am in the middle of a rebuilt on my sr20det and the last thing i have to get is the bearings and was wondering if anyone had any preferences on a certain brand, besides OEM, that they have used or seen good results with. the engine is getting a stock rebuild with some minor hardware upgrades and is not going to see any huge boost numbers. i appreciate any input anyone has.

Sileighty_85
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
im running Nismo Main's with Tomei Micro Finished Con-Rod Bearing. No Problems I Love'em you can find them at www.RHDJapan.com (http://www.RHDJapan.com)

tylerdurdon
05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Thank you very much for the info and link. Those bearings look very well made but are a bit on the high end of what i would want to spend. they sell those by the half and per cylinder which would make it around 400 dollars or more for bearings. i also noticed that just like oem they have different sizez/colors and not just an all around standard size, would it be best to take a dial on each journal of the crank or is it ok to just go by the stamping on the block/crank? thanks again for any information.

Sileighty_85
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
they should sell them as 1 cylinder each so you get two bearings for 1 set

fromxtor
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
clevite 77s for me

tylerdurdon
05-02-2008, 08:14 PM
did you just plasti gauge the oil clearances? nissan was saying i needed to look at the stamps on the block and the crank to make sure i got the correct bearings but then people like beck arnley and clevite and acl for instance, your able to buy a complete pack of std size.

Sileighty_85
05-02-2008, 10:32 PM
When I was building my Block I only had my machine shop bore and hone the clyinders, and blance the crank.
They said my crank was perfect so they said I could use Standard bearings.
But when I was putting it together I still plasti gauged the bearing clearance and everything was gravy

Dousan_PG
05-02-2008, 10:33 PM
i use oem
works greeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

tylerdurdon
05-03-2008, 10:34 AM
awesome thanks for the info guys, seems like different people have gone different routes and ended about the same, as far as brand goes, i always plastigauge my oil clearances it just kinda through me off when the nissan dude started talking about different casting numbers and colors of rod bearings. i may call him back and talk to him some more to find out wtf he is talking about.

Sileighty_85
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
if you look at the SR FSM it explains that whole process