PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Problem

Soup Nazi
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok so ive had my S13 for about 2 weeks now. I went to get gas and i told the guy to fill it up ( i usually only ask for $20-$25) .Well as the car was filling up, i noticed that the gas gun was not shutting off after the sale was at almost $50 some dollars!!! @3.77 a gallon. So gas was leaking out of the tank, so i thought. Well i did some checks on the tank it self and no cracks, holes or anything.

The gas that was in the tank held fine. i now believe my problem is in the neck that goes from the opening where the cap is, to the tank itself. When i get gas now i only put $25 in and its fine no leaking. So there is a crack or hole or something, wrong with the neck, that when the gas reaches its 'Full' level the gun doesnt shut off and keeps going and it leaks out. ( FYI it's not the gas pump gun, i have gotten gas there before and no problems)

Also i forgot to mention that the gas was not coming out of the cap end. It was coming from under the car, right under where i guess the neck would be, on the right side.

Any clues to help

TIA

Gnnr
05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I think that really depends on the pump. Your "not supposed" to top off like that at gas stations, they have signs stating that. Check your hose though...

Soup Nazi
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
I think that really depends on the pump. Your "not supposed" to top off like that at gas stations, they have signs stating that. Check your hose though...

I dont think it was topped off. I just set it to fill up. When the tank reaches it's Full level the gun should go off. What hose should i check?

g6civcx
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok so ive had my S13 for about 2 weeks now. I went to get gas and i told the guy to fill it up ( i usually only ask for $20-$25) .Well as the car was filling up, i noticed that the gas gun was not shutting off after the sale was at almost $50 some dollars!!! @3.77 a gallon. So gas was leaking out of the tank, so i thought. Well i did some checks on the tank it self and no cracks, holes or anything.

The gas that was in the tank held fine. i now believe my problem is in the neck that goes from the opening where the cap is, to the tank itself. When i get gas now i only put $25 in and its fine no leaking. So there is a crack or hole or something, wrong with the neck, that when the gas reaches its 'Full' level the gun doesnt shut off and keeps going and it leaks out. ( FYI it's not the gas pump gun, i have gotten gas there before and no problems)

Also i forgot to mention that the gas was not coming out of the cap end. It was coming from under the car, right under where i guess the neck would be, on the right side.

I read this this 3 times and I still don't understand what the problem is.

From what I can tell, leaving the pump lever squeezed, the pump doesn't stop, and fuel leaks out of the neck.

As for the pump not stopping, there could be 2 issues:

1) the pump doesn't have the auto-stop working;
2) the fuel level doesn't reach the pump nozzle so the auto-stop isn't triggered.

Since you said the pump works normally on other cars, I trust your word and say that it's #2 above.

I would suspect that something in the fuel filler neck is broken, and is allowing the fuel to spill out instead of filling up to the nozzle and triggering the auto-stop.

Do you notice any fuel smell around the car? Do you feel pressure when you open the fuel filler cap? There should be some pressure.

Any of these would indicate a leak. Get it fixed ASAP.

dorkidori_s13
05-02-2008, 11:00 AM
have u replaced your fuel pump??? if so...did you install a NEW sending unit O ring between the tank and the sending unit???

if not...this may be your problem...if you reuse your old sending unit O ring it will not seal properly and you can easily leak gas

Soup Nazi
05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I read this this 3 times and I still don't understand what the problem is.

From what I can tell, leaving the pump lever squeezed, the pump doesn't stop, and fuel leaks out of the neck.

As for the pump not stopping, there could be 2 issues:

1) the pump doesn't have the auto-stop working;
2) the fuel level doesn't reach the pump nozzle so the auto-stop isn't triggered.

Since you said the pump works normally on other cars, I trust your word and say that it's #2 above.

I would suspect that something in the fuel filler neck is broken, and is allowing the fuel to spill out instead of filling up to the nozzle and triggering the auto-stop.

Do you notice any fuel smell around the car? Do you feel pressure when you open the fuel filler cap? There should be some pressure.

Any of these would indicate a leak. Get it fixed ASAP.

Thats exactly what it is, and there is a smell of gas. I will check now for any pressure.

Thanks

Soup Nazi
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
have u replaced your fuel pump??? if so...did you install a NEW sending unit O ring between the tank and the sending unit???

if not...this may be your problem...if you reuse your old sending unit O ring it will not seal properly and you can easily leak gas

The guy before me did replace the Fuel pump, so that very well could be my problem.

I take it, if the O-ring is the problem this can be easily fixed?

Thanks

ericcastro
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
yeah, easy fix. but your talking about more fuel than an o ring. I think your talking about the fueler neck. its pretty cheap and easy to do I would think. open the trunk and look in the side were the gas comes in, or climb under the car and look. see the hose running to the tank. see any leaks?? feel around, you'll figure it out from here. ;)

Soup Nazi
05-04-2008, 07:37 AM
^^ Thanks, found the issue and its fixed...