PDA

View Full Version : Heater Hose Firewall Nipple?

Xandy Boosts
04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
How easy is it to crack this nipple/hard plastic that sticks out the firewall? :hs:

I took off my manifold, replaced all the hoses with new ones, routed some crap out of the way, removed egr and vacuum hoses.

After doing that, after driving for a week, I see coolant dripping down firewall onto my clutch dampener box. I removed clamp, moved hose around a bit, and reclamped and it stopped leaking for about a week. Now I see small drips again :-/

Is it that easy to crack? Or should I just tighten my clamp some more? I tightened it good, but not that tight because I was afraid it could crack.

If it is cracked, what should I do?

Looking at a heater core pic I found on eBay

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee315/GearAddicts/Heater.jpg

Looks like I might have to replace the whole core :ugh: or is there a simpler way?

Stock KA DE by the way.

LA_phantom_240
04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
No. It cracks like a motherfucker.

burnsauto
04-29-2008, 08:07 PM
if its cracked...you have two options.

have fun replacing a heater core.

or

fuck it and bypass the core all together.

wangan_cruiser
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
wow....thats gonna be a bitch replacing it means you have to drop the whole dash. good luck man

or you can do is make custom one with aluminum pipes with the core so itll last long

Xandy Boosts
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
meh, I've taken out my dash before. It's not that bad. I'm just lazy to do it...

I pressure tested my system before and no air leaked out. I'm gonna try it again. No air really gets in my system because of my coolant breather tank. If it gets worse, that's when I'll tackle it I guess.

yoni_nismo
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
[quote= If it gets worse, that's when I'll tackle it I guess.[/quote]

No!:aw:... fix it as soon as u can mine was leaking to but the coolent seemed at a fine level so i ignored it, Then i blew my headgasket on my way to school:cry:.

Xandy Boosts
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
trust me. I got this overheat stuff down. I've overheated too many times and blew my headgasket once already so I know what to do now.

coolant breather tank to help get rid of air
aftermarket water temp gauge
a LOT of distilled water and coolant in my back seat

school is out in 3 weeks, I'll do it then.

WERDdabuilder
04-30-2008, 02:25 AM
had the same problem but it wasnt the nipple. the plastic nipple is actually thick and doesn't seem like it would crack that easy(but im sure they do crack). my core was just bad. replaced it. took like 4 hours. gotta remove or loosen the dashbar thingy to have enough room to take the core out of the heat box. taking the bar out also makes it easier not to bend the fins.

g6civcx
04-30-2008, 07:08 AM
You have several alternatives:

1) Buy a new heater core. Used ones will have the same problems you have.

2) Plastic weld the fittings.

posdrift240
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
If its cracked just replace it, Sounds like you have the idea anyways. But the dash isn't that bad either. It can be completly out of the car in 30mins tops.