PDA

View Full Version : TEIN tie rods

slow40sx
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Does anyone have a write up on installing TEIN tie rods?? i searched on here and found one but none of the pictures work and i searched on google and i can't seem to find one with pictures or good directions, can anyone help me out?? thanks in advance

Dousan_PG
04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
i did
like 5 years ago
haha

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=27115&highlight=tein

ah pics are gone
remove and replace
its not rocket science!

sac
04-29-2008, 01:36 AM
they install just like the oem tie rods man. You can find the instructions in a Chilton repair manual that checker/Kragen sells, or a Haynes that autozone sells. Or you could refer to the FSM.
Basically, you pull off wheel, pull off nut on top of tie rod end,(17mm? i think) then you pull the rack and pinion bellows back, and take off the inner tie rod. When you install the new one they have a spacer to provide more steering angle, you dont have to use this, but lots of people do. I am using it with no problems. I would recomend putting Very tiny bit of anti seize on the threads of the tie rod, thread it into the rack and tighten, then thread on the tie rod end. If you mark or measure where the old one is you should be close to your previous alignment specs, but i would still get one like right afterwards.

If you have the *fun* tools you can get inners, and outers changed in about 5-8 min (not including alignment of course) start to finish. Snap on sells like a long deep well socket thing that connects to crows feet that works well, or you can custom fab up one. I took a crows foot that fit, and welded it to a extension. It works well.

eek
04-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Its pretty self explanitory when u look at it. Your gonna need to jack up the car, take the front wheels off. Get a big hammer and possibly a ball joint tool to pop the tie rod end out of the front knuckle (after you remove the cotter pin and loosen the crown nut). Remove the boots, there are some metal locking covers that u will need a flat head to help you get them off the factory tie rods, get a big wrench and loosen and remove the tie rod. Mock up your new tierods with the tie rod end attached to it and get it as close as u can to your factory ones that you just removed. Install new tierods, tighten everything up. Put wheels back on car. Go get alignment.

SHIFT_*grind*
04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I had Tein tie rods on my old S13, don't remember the details of installing them. Which means it was easy enough to not need a write-up, since I had little mechanical experience at the time =P

I used the little spacer, and the extra steering angle was nice; I could make U-turns on two-lane roads.

jackjack
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
its basic, but if you're having problems buy or download a repair manual. it'll come in handy later anyways.

slow40sx
04-30-2008, 01:22 AM
thanks for the feedback guys, sorry for dumb question i've just never messed with the footwork on my car before thanks for the help tho