PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had thier cailiper fall off? I did!!

braingone
04-28-2008, 10:55 PM
So I was hearing rather funny sound about a week earlier when I was backing up , so automatically I figured it was just my rear brake pads needed to be replaced. I am like okay I will pick up new ones and get them replaced in a few days. So I went to an autocross event fine, didn't have any problems then. So when I left to go get some gas I noticed my brakes were very weak, no pressure what so ever but lucky it still did stop fine with enough pressure on the brake pedal.

So I was coming home one day and all of a sudden I hear this grinding noise coming from the rear driver side wheel. Lucky this happened in my subdivision, so I park it and to my amazement my brake pads and bolts where missing and caliper was grinding on the inside of my wheel well. I was just at a loss for words, I had just bought the car maybe 2 weeks ago, I should have investigated the sound that i had heard before all this happened.

Anyway so far I have got most of the replacement parts:
Caliper Bolts and Pins
Brake Pads
Disc brake Hardware kit
Searching for a Caliper piston

So I also have a few questions: Should I go ahead and bleed the brake system and add new fluid?

Do you see any parts that I am missing?

Or another type of fluid that I need to grab?

Oh and of course the photos...lol:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6880/p1020707bk1.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1456/p1020710xi2.jpg

YoungGun
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Can't say that it's ever happened to me!

Addicted2Kouki
04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
never happened to me.

although i did forget to double check how tight one of my caliper bolts were and it fell out while i was breaking in the pads.

no worries. found it and put it back in and tightened it.

sldbyuramg
04-28-2008, 11:23 PM
u should just replace the fluid and check all the lines and pads and all the bolts and such that have to do with brakes... definitely one of the most important things on your car... good luck.

Ca_laurier
04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
another apprentice at my work had that happen to a car he worked on, freaking idiot

personally i always use a mild thread lock when i put those back on. nothing wrong with being safe

well might need a new rotor. looks like it has some nice scruffs but that could be machined out. but buy a new caliper, unless you know what your doing with rebuilding a caliper don't try it.

xkamikazestormx
04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
if you want a used rear caliper and if its a s13, i got a pair that i can sell for cheap

Jung918
04-28-2008, 11:53 PM
You should only need brake fluid and maybe some grease.

Driven08
04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
The same thing has happened to me as well, it also occured on my passenger side.

I drove really hard trough the train tracks and I thought it was my exhaust scrapping since it had fitment issues but to my surprise it was the rear caliper.

I ended up just replacing the whole rear caliper since the piston was pushed out far back and it was faster just getting one from the junkyard.

Rnz520
04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
haha this happenned to my bro last thursday on the way home on his S13. He probably forgot to tighten the bolts all the way and put some threadlocker on them

WagDatto
04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
The bolts holding the two pieces of my caliper together (mind you, this is a 280zx assembly I'm talking about) came out and locked up my front left brake... Scary in itself, considering I was inches from hitting the island before it settled into a different position and I could get home on it... Yeah, needless to say, some heavy duty bolts and lock washers went on after that!

Depending on how bad those scuffs are, I'd say go get it resurfaced or replaced... You can never be too careful!

braingone
04-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Those aren't scuffs btw, its just from my finger :P.

Yea I think I am just going to get a new Caliper.

Howard92884
04-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Loctite.

messagelngth

s13drob
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
almost happend 2 a honda friend of mine.. luckily he heard the rattle after it was on its last bolt. hahahaha...

like howard said. loctite

kandyflip445
04-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Happened to my brother on his Lexus when he let a friend torque a caliper. Apparently he didn't know what to do. lol

AutoKA24DE
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
i had the right rear caliper slide bolt come off...yes it was torqued, yes i used threadlock.

dont know what happened. luckily i caught it when I was washing my car. "what the hell, why are my brake pads about to fall out...whoaaa"

jackjack
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
thats crazy as hell. happened to a buddy of mine... mitsu lancer though. freaky.

MaD1337M3DRiV3r
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
At this point i say you go through all the nuts and bolts of the car.

This happend on my cousins 2006 BMW M3, the dealer didnt tighten down the caliper bolts. They of course blamed it on my cousin.

dohctwinn1
04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
thats what happens when somones too much of a wuss to tighten the bolts all the way.

i hate to say it, but i'm thinking that a good percentage of you guys are morons....

Dousan_PG
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
it happenned to my friend getting off the freeway before we got home
it was funny, and pathetic.

braingone
05-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I also have a quick question on this as well, since brake/clutch fluid is the same thing and if there is a leak coming from an open caliper would this also create a problem of the clutch not engaging into gear?

Thanks from the replies :D

aNskY
05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
not caliper... but about a week after i got my first s14, driver side rear wheel came off in the mountains! now i make sure to check lug nuts when i get a new car lol

DJ_Sunrise
05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
The cock suckers at Honda forgot to tighten my bro's differential. 5 bolts. Loose. Of course they assumed no responsibility after the differential shredded itself. Fucking bastards.

Use RED loctite. And dont pull a Honda. It was Honda of Princeton in NJ. Stay away from the cock sucking bastards.

-Bart