PDA

View Full Version : How do i test my rear calipers?

kenversusryu
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I think one of my rear calipers is slowly dying. How do i test this?

2 reasons why i say this
everytime i brake the car moves to the left when holding the steering wheel. when letting go of the steering wheel the steering wheel moving right. (hard to visualize i know)
2nd reason is that the pads on the right rear seized.

Is there any way to test the caliper? Or unstick the piston if its stuck?

misfitsfreak81
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
you should pull apart the rear brakes and replace the pads and possibly the rotors as well. clean everything very well, more than likely your caliper slide pins are seized and possibly the piston as well.

the pulling to the left when braking leads me more to believe that the problem lays in the front brakes though. these should also be serviced while you are doing the rears. once again check the slide pins and overall condition of everything up there. be sure to check the shitty stock rubber brake lines at this time as well. if you see any cracks, bulges or signs of leaks you will need to replace them as well.

hope this helps.

mike

kenversusryu
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
thanks.

I replaced the front pads, rotors, and calipers thinking it would fix the problem about a month ago. It still brake pulls and I'm thinking its the rear.

the rear left rotor was cracked a year ago and i replaced them along with new pads. I was stupid and lazy and didn't touch the rear right since then. the rear right rotor is really worn. Here is my story.

I pulled the rear apart because i wanted to swap the left rear rotor and pads to the right rear rotors and pads. Basically did a switcharoo. Before the switch, i noticed the inside pad on the left side side was significantly worn. (how is that right when these pads are relatively newer than the right side?) When i took a look at the right side, there were a lot more pad and the pads were seized on to the slide pin. Never tested the piston.

Put it together, and it was actually really easy to push the piston back in the left rear with pliers.

Now it still pulls but not as much. it feels like the rear left is not grabbing as much due to the weak rotor.

bleh.

Jadeskyline
04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
same shit happened to me.....i jacked up my car and spun both wheels rear pass had hella resistance and there was my problem switched out and went out on my merry way

jspaeth
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Try removing your front brakes and seeing how well your car stops

2jzs14
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
my calipers were hanging up when i pulled the e-brake, the left was hanging up more than the right. I disconnected the cable from the left one and released it and the right one still hasnt hung up yet. I have new calipers im just too lazy to put them on. working on cars for a living has caused me to neglect my own slightly

Howard92884
04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Put it together, and it was actually really easy to push the piston back in the left rear with pliers.

Did you try pushing the piston in on the rear caliper? Because I believe they spin in and out unlike the fronts. Just saying maybing you screwed something up when pushing the piston in. My friend did that and messed up his caliper.

kenversusryu
04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Did you try pushing the piston in on the rear caliper? Because I believe they spin in and out unlike the fronts. Just saying maybing you screwed something up when pushing the piston in. My friend did that and messed up his caliper.

Sorry, i meant i screwed it in without much resistence on the driver side rear. Oops. I'll try the pass side rear next time.