PDA

View Full Version : Can I hammer my ka oil pan?

kenversusryu
04-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Made a big dent in my oil pan. Right in the middle of the bulge (front part of the oil pan). Made a boo boo with my jack. Looks like a big inward dome about an inch or so deep.

My question, Can i hammer it out? I heard that it's baffled so it's not hammer friendly as opposed to the SR pan.

Has anyone tried it? What method?

I'm broke. plain and simple. Car is running fine for now.

SC_S13
04-27-2008, 01:00 AM
just take a look at it, then if the area can be hammered out, use a soft mallet and a 2x4 to softly flatten that out. but you should be able to find a cheap-ass replacement, just go to the junkyard n pull that shit out yourself. or find on on the forums. being safe is worth not having a blown engine because of oil starvation.

blackcoupe
04-27-2008, 01:26 AM
should be fine. I took mine out and hammered it out.

wangan_cruiser
04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
hammer it with a yellow page book underneath so it wont add another dent.

kenversusryu
04-27-2008, 01:49 AM
mallet or regular hammer? seems kinda deep for just a hammer. What do yall suggest?

jspec240
04-27-2008, 02:03 AM
well if your using a 2x4 then use a regular hammer. if not a rubber mallet...( with like said before something underneith to cushon it so you dont f it up any more.

Thats if your desperate tho...

Do it right and find a nice used one or new one. Always better to go new!!

Firestorm
04-27-2008, 08:21 AM
why would you jack up your car on the oil pan of the engine?!

i would get a replacement. you can hammer it back, but you weakened the material of the pan on that spot. well, do your thing.

projectRDM
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
You haven't weakened anything. It's thin metal anyway, much the same as pushing a dent in a fender and then popping it back out from behind. As long as it's comes back out fine, hammering won't hurt a thing, but use something soft against it to absorb the shock like a block of wood.

wangan_cruiser
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
rubber mallet for the safe side. i bet u dnt want to add another dent :)

kenversusryu
04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
why would you jack up your car on the oil pan of the engine?!

I didn't. Jacked it up by front cross member and car started moving backwards. car moved backwards but landed on the jack? Make sense?

I removed the oil pan (what a pain in the neck) and took out the oil pick up. the pick up doesn't look damaged at all because most of the oil pan damage was towards the drivers side where it is baffled. So i guess i got lucky on that one.

Used a hammer, a 2x4, and a big yellow pages. Worked great. except had to wrap the 2x4 with tape so the little pieces of wood wouldn't get in the pan.

cloudstrife930
04-28-2008, 05:30 PM
mechanic here, buy a new one!!!!

Addicted2Kouki
04-28-2008, 06:00 PM
a rubber mallet might not be enough to push the dent back out.

use a hammer but cushion underneath the pan.