PDA

View Full Version : My first set of real "race" tires, questions....

Kouki
04-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey, I do alot of autox in my s13, and felt that the 615 azenis weren't cutting it anymore. I just picked up a set of kumho victoracers v700 from a guy that had them on a road race miata, used them for one qualifying session then decided that he needed 16s. I have a couple questions about these tires as this is my first set of real race tires.

First they have pretty even tread all across them, but the side that is supposed to be the outside is worn a little more than the inside. They are a symmetrical tire, so they can technically be mounted either side out. I'm just wondering since I'm running about 2-3 degrees of neg camber all around should I put the thicker side on the inside, or outside? I was thinking on the inside, but don't know because when cornering the wheel, in theory, should be 100% vertical, so would I want more on the shoulder to help on corner entry?

Next, the tires I bought are 225/45/17, my wheels I was going to put these on are 17x9, is that slight stretch going to have any negative effects to my handling, or will it be fine? Or should I try to find a set of 17x8 to throw these on?

Last question, where should I start with my air pressure. I know that you're supposed to run more in street tires than in race tires. I know how to take tire temp to figure out if I need to go up or down on pressure, I'm just looking for a reasonable starting point. I was thinking maybe 30psi, or is that too much?

Any help from people with racetire experience please chime in.
Thanks alot

240love
04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
i think this might be in the wrong section....i think

Kouki
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, if this is the wrong section mods, please move it. I figured this would be the best spot though, I didn't think tech talk would give me the answers I was looking for.

spool_sample
04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing this thread will get moved, but this post should get moved with it.

In any case...

The outside tread wear is normal. You should be able to flip them to get them to wear more evenly... run lots of camber and spring rate so that the tires aren't leaning out at full roll. Depending on springs, you'll probably need at least -3.0, but tire temps will be able to tell you for sure.

Stretching them shouldn't have any negative effects. They run wide, and are probably a good 235/245 in actual width.

Air pressure, start on the higher side. You can get away with lower pressure on newer V710s and Hoosiers, but on the older Victos I would start around 35 and then adjust according to tire temps.

The tires should be a good 15-20 deg. F or so warmer on the inside than on the outside once they are fully warmed up... then just change tire pressure until the middle is between the inside and outside temps. This is how I do it, some people prefer to make the temps even, but I've had best results when the insides are a little bit hotter.

Kouki
04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm running like -2.5 in the rear and right at -3 up front for camber. I have stance gr+pro coilovers with 9k/7k spring rates. So you think I should keep the part with the slightly thicker tread on the inside? Alright so for temp on these, basically you're saying to make the inside hotter, and adjust air pressure so the temp drops smoothly towards the outside? Alright, I'll have to give it a shot, too bad our next event isn't til the 18th of May.

UNITEDMASTER
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello, based on my use of Victoracers on spec Boxsters. We would start at 26-28 cold depending on outside temps & shoot for 35-36 hot. 7-10 PSI of growth using regular air. You can get alot of heat cycles out of these tires before they begin to fall off. This is just something to keep in mind. You will have to do some testing to find that sweet spot with your particular set-up

infinitexsound
04-25-2008, 02:19 AM
the stretch is definetly alright, itll work... for the 17" rims

id run the more tread on the inside... when u install them on a tire...

with the v700, just get the tires warmed up and bleed em...to the correct psi...

youll probably get a few runs before those tires fall apart with that amount of camber. do u really think that amount of camber is necessary for autox?

Paul2x
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Yoko, slicks.

but they'll make everything else after that feel like sh*t.

UNITEDMASTER
04-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Yoko, slicks.

but they'll make everything else after that feel like sh*t.

HAHAHA, funny you say that. I just put some on my car ,I have yet to test it . 235/650/18 Front & 280/650/18 Rear:bigok: . Hello grip city!!!

S14DB
04-26-2008, 01:31 AM
275 on 9" and 245 on 8"

MrChow
04-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I do know stretching tire and a street tire will change the feeling of the tire. As in you'll feel the understeer coming faster. I dunno how to explain well but that what felt when I had a stretch tire. The grip was the same though.

My 2 cents.

mifesto
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
my preference is 225/45/17 is too skinny for 9 inch wide wheels.... 8 or 8.5 at most.

KA24DESOneThree
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
do u really think that amount of camber is necessary for autox?

It's actually on the low side.

I'd run at least -3.25* front and -2.5* rear.