PDA

View Full Version : My throwout bearing is stuck

Sean14
04-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I searched and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for, so hopefully you all can give me some insight.

The car is an s14 with a KA and an Exedy stage 1 clutch

I was driving normal when all of a sudden the clutch started making this horrible knocking noise and the whole car got violent shaky. This would happen at all times except when I had the clutch pedal pushed down.

So, I took of the tranny and found that my throwout bearing had slid too far up the input shaft and got stuck, causing constant pressure on the pressure plate. The tob, fork, pivot ball and everything else looked to be perfectly normal, but somehow the fork was pushed to much and the tob went too far up the shaft.

I cleaned and relubed everything and I am half way through putting it back on, but this doesn't really solve why it happened the first time, meaning it will probably happen again.

Any ideas what caused this?
Should I adjust the master cylinder by the pedal?

Any input is appreciated... well, helpful input, haha.

Also, I circled the area where the tob is getting stuck. Sorry for the small pic.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/seanlarin/Inputshaft.jpg

projectRDM
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
More than likely you put the spring on the back of the retainer on backwards. It fits both ways, but if it's backwards the retainer slides too far, getting stuck on the front cover. Double check that.

Sean14
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I checked the spring and it seems to be on there correctly, thanks for the advice tho.

Anyone else before I throw the tranny back on?

Z U L8R
04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
shorten the rod on the slave cylinder. grind it down, if you come back together and it still makes the noise, i think your problem is a stripped gear since you say the problem goes away when you push the clutch in. when you have the clutch disengaged the transmission is spinning. when you push the clutch pedal down and engage the clutch it stops spinning. whether it's a stripped gear or messed up input shaft bearing or whatever, i think your tranny is fuxored. did you drain the fluid? see any big ass metal teeth ? lol
gl bro
Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports (www.lethalinjectiontuning.com)