PDA

View Full Version : VQ35 Swap Question (driveshaft related)

guitaraholic
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok, Currently I have a 98' Kouki w/ a Kouki Sr20 (notchtop) swap. My question is, I am planning on swapping to a built up VQ35 to withstand forced induction next winter. As of right now Z33 trannys can be had for a resonably cheap price. So my question is as follows.

During the summer I plan on putting in a Z33 transmission in and adapt it to the SR20 (that way I can use a Z33 clutch(yes I know I will have to redrill the Flywheel), and install my NOS, So I don't have to worry about slippage, I get 6 gears and it will easily handle the extra HP). I know Along with that I will need a different driveshaft. Question is. will the driveshaft still fit (because it will be the same transmission) when I swap from the SR to the VQ?

The main reason I ask is, is it worth adapting the Z33 tranny for the summer if I don't have to have one D/S for the Sr20/Z33 tranny and another for the VQ35/Z33 tranny?

9hank9
04-19-2008, 04:36 PM
well if you want to use the same driveshaft, then instead of fitting the 6sp to the sr, fit the sr to the six speed... ie, build a setup that will have identical transmission placement for either engine... imo its not worth it for that short time until you swap motors. good luck

96Turbo
04-19-2008, 04:47 PM
i don't see how you'll be able to figure out where the VQ35 will place the tranny without actually doing the entire swap, fabbing your mounts where you want them, etc. by that time you're well into the swap anyways and there's no point in making the VQ tranny work with your SR. i don't see the real benefit of using the 6 speed for such a short time. just wait and do it when you put in the VQ

TougeLabs
04-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Talk to Dennis George man hunt him down his VQ swap is flawless and let me tell you...That s14 pulled hard its such a worth wile swap good luck man!!
Google search Dennis he has a site hes a drift brigade driver, I had a chance to do a ride along with him and it was incredible i wish i didnt build my sr already or i would be all over it!