PDA

View Full Version : my 89 240 won't start

kerv
11-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Hi, this morning when I tried to start my 89 fastback.  I turned it to start, and it felt like there was no power... It wasn't trying to even turn over, no engine sounds at all.  At first I thought my battery might be dead, I turned it to accessories and turned the radio on.. it seemed to work fine.  I then tried to turn the fan for the heat on and it seemed to be running slower then normal.

Could this be a problem related to the alternator?  Is there a way to check if it is dead or not.

I also noticed that everytime I turned my key to ignition it reset the clock on the dash... maybe my battery terminals are just corroded.

I haven't had a chance to take a look at anything yet as I was in a rush this morning.  Good thing the bus was just coming by...

Anyone have any possible ideas about what the problem could be.  I will take a look at it as soon as I get home tonight.. maybe it is something very simple.

Thanks,

Kev

91CRXsiR
11-14-2002, 11:39 PM
the same thing happened to me , i can almost say for sure that its your starter...

try push starting the car if it starts.. the its your starter..

Sr2O-det
11-14-2002, 11:44 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (91CRXsiR @ Nov. 15 2002,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the same thing happened to me , i can almost say for sure that its your starter...

try push starting the car if it starts.. the its your starter..</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
You can push start any manual car. Anyways a starter requires much more amps that the radio and fan do you try to jump the car with ur neighbor or someone?