PDA

View Full Version : BAD s14 KA24DE Power steering pump???????

diomedes
04-14-2008, 10:25 PM
So Saturday morning I drove to the bay and the steering was normal. On the way back home I had the AC on and it was on level 1. I did not notice any difference in the steering until I got off my exit to come home. Steering was hard was hell so I knew something was wrong. Got home and PS reservoir was empty. Also the passenger rack & pinon boot was leaking. I added PS fluid and the pump made a loud buzzing noise. The noise continue until the reservoir was filled up to the proper level. When driving, it made less noise/sound.

I replaced the r&p boot today and with the PS fluid filled up to the proper level, the PS pump still made buzzing noise when the steering wheel is turned left and right.

Is this a sign of a bad PS pump? Any ideas guys/gals?

Thanks in advance.

SoguRacing
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Yea its bad. mine makes the same noise and has for 2 years but still works haha. Its annoying and a quick easy replacement but i've got other things on my agenda.

projectRDM
04-14-2008, 11:47 PM
You filled it with PS fluid and you're wondering if it's bad?

Since the Nissan power steering system is designed to work with Mercon-Dexron ATF, I'd say yes. Especially since regular PS fluid is absolute shit. Read your owner's manual next time before adding fluids.

diomedes
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

So just now when I went and switched a new clamp for the r&p boot, PS fluid came rushing out. Plus I keep on running out of fluid in the reservoir. I've used a whole quart and a half already.

Any ideas why there's fluid in the boot and why I keep on running out of fluid?

boogerlovers
04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
the ps fluid might have eatin past the seals that go around the inner tie rods...idk im just guessing...hope you fix your shit man

xsparc
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
yep sounds like your seals on the rack are shot. use ATF next time.

diomedes
04-15-2008, 02:57 PM
yep sounds like your seals on the rack are shot. use ATF next time.

Thanks for the info.

And yeah, I did what Russ told me. I went out and bought ATF instead of PS.

projectRDM
04-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Flush it thoroughly, but you've probably already damaged a seal in the rack or pump. If it's continuing to run low you've still got a leak, the whole system doesn't hold but maybe 2 quarts.

diomedes
04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks Russ.

Is replacing the whole Rack and Pinion necessary or just the side that is bad?
I looked on Napa, Kragen, and Pep boys online and they seem to be selling the whole complete r&p only.
I don't want to buy the whole thing, I only want to replace the side that is shot.

EDIT: Power steering pump is going bad as will. It's "buzzing" louder than before. I will be replacing the pump with a new one as will.

onepuff
04-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Replacing the seals in the rack is not a DIY job IMHO. Get a new rack. And your pump is probably not bad. You probably just have a bunch of air in the lines. When i did my RB swap the pump sounded like that until i was able to bleed out all the air. The sounds were horriffic but it went away after being bled. I seriously doubt it went bad just like that. Get the rack replaced first!

diomedes
04-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Replacing the seals in the rack is not a DIY job IMHO. Get a new rack. And your pump is probably not bad. You probably just have a bunch of air in the lines. When i did my RB swap the pump sounded like that until i was able to bleed out all the air. The sounds were horriffic but it went away after being bled. I seriously doubt it went bad just like that. Get the rack replaced first!

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, sounds like the r&p bar will have to be replaced. I'm leaking fluid like crazy now. It's not just a drip.......drip.......drip kind of thing, it's now leaking rather quickly and I can see it coming out of the passenger side r&p boot, but don't know from where exactly.

kcndizzle
04-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey man, hit me up, i've got an extra pump you can use for testing, and possibly purchase:bigok:

projectRDM
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
You can get a good reman rack for about $225, or find a used one for $45-85 at a yard. Problem buying used is you never know if the previous owner put the wrong fluid in too and most places only offer a 7-10 day warranty if they offer one at all.

g6civcx
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I recommend doing a BG power steering flush to get out all of the old fluid. It's not expensive. They usually charge me about $80 for a steering flush.

Google to find BG's site and recommended shops.

xsparc
04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
funny thing... same thing basicly happend to me last night. I didnt lose all the fluid, only about half. When i turn all the way right, the left boot fills up. When i turn left, it all squirts out of the left boot. Kinda funny to watch... in a haha kinda way. It also makes this horid groan, like opening a big old heavy door.

So anyone know where to get a good new/remaned rack or a seal kit?