PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded wiring harness!

blacklable245
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I bought a S13 with the SR swap taken care of, everything has been fine for the past couple of months and no major issues have come up....until now......the 3rd cylinder wont fire, due to the injector harness not getting a signal (only on the 3rd cylinder)....so i decided to go ahead and fix the harness and put the ECU in the right place, passenger side where it should be (right now its at my feet screwed in the plastic under the steering column). I have another harness which i stripped completly of the tape and plastic. My question is, can anyone head me in the right direction on extending this harness and give me any pointers on what to do. I want to do this right the first time so i dont have to keep going back to it. Thanks

fliprayzin240sx
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
extending? Why cant you put the ecu where its supposed to be? You only have to extend a couple of wires to make them work for a LHD car, and nothing for the ECU area other than the dash stuff.

blacklable245
04-14-2008, 08:06 PM
there are sensors on the right side of the car that need to be extended if i put the ECU on the right side of the car and i want to make sure they are the right ones, so far i have the ignitor, MAF, O2 sensor. Anymore that i should be aware of?

GSXRJJordan
04-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Igniter doesn't need to be extended, just find a place for it that's not "hanging out somewhere near the steering rack". I zip tied it to something on the passenger side strut tower. You need to extend 3 wires for the MAF, and 3 wires for the O2 sensor (I think OEM uses dual-conductor wire for both of those, so it'll look like one thick grey wire and one additional wire, but the grey wire will have a black and white wire inside).

If you measure out about 4 ft of wire to extend the MAF harness, that'll give you plenty to go around the engine bay from the back (by the brake lines). Same for the O2 sensor, but just add about 2 ft. If you have another harness to chop from, it's super easy.

General advice - stagger your cuts. If you cut, say, 4 wires all in one place, then solder/crimp/wrap them all together, you now have a big 'clump' or wiring. If you stagger the cuts one every inch or so, you'll still have the same amount of crimps/butt connectors/wrapping, but it'll be in a smaller bundle, so you can run it wherever you need to - looks better too.

blacklable245
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
ok, well not to disrespect your advice, which is much appreciated, but i want to leave the ignitor in the stock location. And one more thing, i have a few plugs that i cant seem to find a use for. I have all the important sensors like the MAF, Ignitor, Injectors, etc. but there are some that i feel need to go somewhere. Could this be a KA harness i have a harness on the car right now that looks like an SR one but it doesnt have the same connectors. What do you think it could be?

GSXRJJordan
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
ok, well not to disrespect your advice, which is much appreciated, but i want to leave the ignitor in the stock location. And one more thing, i have a few plugs that i cant seem to find a use for. I have all the important sensors like the MAF, Ignitor, Injectors, etc. but there are some that i feel need to go somewhere. Could this be a KA harness i have a harness on the car right now that looks like an SR one but it doesnt have the same connectors. What do you think it could be?

You can rewire the igniter if you want, it's just an extra 9 wires that you have to do an extremely good job soldering on.

The SR harness has a bunch of shit on it that most people don't use, like AC connectors, etc. I have a comprehensive pin-out of the harness (everything you need, anyhow) that I've used on all my harnesses. Measurements for my tucked harness are somewhere, but not online. PM me if you need it.

The easiest way to spot the SR harness is the upper wiring, with the injectors, TPS, IACV, then CAS. The stock harness will be very 'stiff' in these sections, should make it stand out.

fliprayzin240sx
04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Seriously...read this shit...this is all you need for the wiring when you swap in an S13 SR into an S13 chassis. The ECU will reach where the KA ECU would sit. (http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-Engine-Harness-Wiring-Diagram-Guide-SR-SR20_t_26.html)