PDA

View Full Version : power steering really overboosted

nasadriver
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I finally finished my car, bascially (sr, kyb/agx, ground control, all supporting handling mods, fmic, boost controller, hks hi-power, q45 brakes, j30 vlsd) and took the car out for it's first drive. It drives awesome, the sr is one of the smoothest engine I have ever driven, and the tranny is the best I have ever come across. I have a huge rear sway bar, and the car really doesn't handle that well with it on there, the car just wants to drift and the rear is way to stiff. Gonna take it off and sell it.

The only thing that bugs me is that the power steering is like really, really, really overboosted. Is there some way to fix this, it feels like if i blew on it the wheel would move 45 degrees, and it doesn't give me confidence when taking a turn at speed. Any input would be really appreciated, thanks. :2f2f:

murda-c
04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Really? i don't get that feeling at all. Then again i came from driving an elantra.

Get some adjustable tension rods if you don' thave them and increase your caster.

clark
04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I finally finished my car, bascially (sr, kyb/agx, ground control, all supporting handling mods, fmic, boost controller, hks hi-power, q45 brakes, j30 vlsd) and took the car out for it's first drive. It drives awesome, the sr is one of the smoothest engine I have ever driven, and the tranny is the best I have ever come across. I have a huge rear sway bar, and the car really doesn't handle that well with it on there, the car just wants to drift and the rear is way to stiff. Gonna take it off and sell it.

The only thing that bugs me is that the power steering is like really, really, really overboosted. Is there some way to fix this, it feels like if i blew on it the wheel would move 45 degrees, and it doesn't give me confidence when taking a turn at speed. Any input would be really appreciated, thanks. :2f2f:
did you get an alignment after upgrading your suspension?

nasadriver
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
did you get an alignment after upgrading your suspension?

I haven't and I kinda forgot to throw that in there, could that be a cause of this?

Silvia_S13
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
alignment is everything. can could be whats causing your weird over steery feel.

get that first. and go from there on what u think u need to do.

nasadriver
04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Bueno. Thanks, I'll have that done this weekend and then go on from there.

GSXRJJordan
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
The alignment is definitely the biggest thing.

It's also possible that you don't have the 'ball-check valve' in your SR's power steering pump... it's the first banjo bolt, that feeds pressure into the large 90* bolt on the top of the pump. It's supposed to just make sure that the pump sees minimal backpressure, but I imagine that if it wasn't in there, you'd get some more power from the pump.

nasadriver
04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
The alignment is definitely the biggest thing.

It's also possible that you don't have the 'ball-check valve' in your SR's power steering pump... it's the first banjo bolt, that feeds pressure into the large 90* bolt on the top of the pump. It's supposed to just make sure that the pump sees minimal backpressure, but I imagine that if it wasn't in there, you'd get some more power from the pump.

Cool, thanks, I'll do the alignment first and then check out the ball check valve. That sounds like a possibility because the steering felt pretty similar before I started this project, but the guy I bought it from took off his coilovers when I bought it, so maybe it was out of allignment then too.

Silvia_S13
04-11-2008, 01:17 PM
ur car is out of alignment for every upgrade you add suspension wise. coilovers/tension rods/toe links/camber links/subframe spacers.

prolly not by much, but each item added throws it off that much more in a different way. let us know how it feels after the alignment