PDA

View Full Version : Getting or swap started

89autoxr
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

My friend and I picked up a 1990 240sx for a track/auto-x car and it has a ka24de swap in it. The kid who started the swap lost motivation and we picked it up for a song. We were told the coil was bad but once we actually hooked it up correctly it sparks pretty good. we have all new plugs and battery, we re-did all the grounds just to be sure and we have confirmed we have the correct ECU, MAF etc. I uploaded a video of our startinga ttempts to google:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2997139832807085274

Any thoughts? we rotated the distributor while we were cranking to see if that changed anything to no avail. We have good compression and the cam timing seems ok based on a cursory check. We get a ton of fuel and it doesn't seem to be leaking gas into the cyl. (The engine has the red-top injectors)

any thoughts on obvious troubleshooting?

bigOdom1
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
red top injectors are larger than stock ka injectors without something to lean it out it will have too much fuel.
check the maf wiring

NorCalEvo
04-09-2008, 09:18 AM
check your spark plug wires. it sounds like they are not connected in the correct order on the distributor, therefore incorrect detonation sequence. give that a try. you also said that the coil has good spark, but did you check for spark at the other end of the spark plug wires? maybe the wire set is bad. Long shot but it is possible.

89autoxr
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Once we got a spark at the coil we checked the wires and they sparked to the shock tower. More torubleshooting tonight so i will re-check the order and the MAF. Keep 'em coming!

shmiddy
04-09-2008, 09:52 AM
is ur firing order right?

SDS13COUPE
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Did the previous owner have any fuel pump kill switches. Try checking the fuses.

serturbo
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
check your spark plug wires. it sounds like they are not connected in the correct order on the distributor, therefore incorrect detonation sequence. give that a try. you also said that the coil has good spark, but did you check for spark at the other end of the spark plug wires? maybe the wire set is bad. Long shot but it is possible.

I second this. It sounds like timing is off. I've never worked on a DE. Is it possible to install the distributor 180 off? Kinda sounds like a friend's H22 when his distributor was that way.

WISH ONE
04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah for sure check the distributor make sure its all working correctly and in the right order, next thing i can think pull the plugs if you havent already and clean the off they may be super fouled from all the fuel.

89autoxr
04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Okay we spent 2 hours cleaning up the wiring checking connections and organizing the engine bay. After all that still no starting, after we confirmed our firing order etc. we decided to push start it and see what happened.
We chained it to our tow vehicle got it up to about 20 in the garage parking lot and popped the clutch and wouldn't you know it she started right up! And ran! Sort of... as soon as you touched the throttle or took your foot off the clutch it died.
So after some more tracing and troubleshooting we discovered that in addition to being an engine swap this was also an auto/manual swap as we had the TPS from an automatic car. We pulled the throttle body and are going to get the right TPS, also i was wondering if anyone had the part number for the MAF off a manual car so we can compare it with the one we have, we have a16 valve ka24de with the separate coil and distributor our MAF is a:
22680 53F00 A36-000 G60
1731D stamped in ink (JECS)