PDA

View Full Version : Mass air flow sensor

MyFirst240SX
12-27-2001, 10:26 AM
When u put a cold air intake, dont u take off the mass air flow sensor? then what exactly does that thing do
sean

ca18guy
12-27-2001, 10:44 AM
You don't remove the MAF with an intake. The MAF measures the amount of air entering the engine, from that measurement the ECU decide's how much fuel for the injectors to flow. So with out it your car won't run (or will run extremely poor)

gfisch
12-27-2001, 11:16 AM
Yeah, i dont think the car wilkl run at all without it. The instructions for the intake I bough very clearly stated NOT to have the MAF unplugged when there was power to the ECU (car on) because it wouldn't run and youd have to reset it.

whateverjames
12-27-2001, 12:22 PM
you may be thinking of the air temp sensor.

(Edited by whateverjames at 3:30 pm on Dec. 27, 2001)

MyFirst240SX
12-27-2001, 12:24 PM
I was refering to the metal part of the pipeing located near the end of the intake pipe

S14KAT
12-27-2001, 03:05 PM
Ok, I blew my MAF one day.....I'm not getting ito details, lets just say good intentions, stupid idea thats all.  Anyway, the car did run, but like total shit.  The car would only rev to about 2500 rpms and then would jerk back and forth like crazy.  From what I was told, the ECU got all F'd up when it couldn't read the air intake properly, and automatically went into whats called "limp home mode".  Basically, you can drive the car, but on an extremely limited basis.  Its just enough to get your slappy ass back home to get the prob fixed.  DO NOT MESS WITH IT!  Those things are extremely sensitive to heat, cold, and just about everything else.  The element which reads the air coming in is extremely sensitive.