PDA

View Full Version : autobacsusa alignment confusion?

Mikey213
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm bringing back my old s13 that i had years ago. From what i last remebered I just threw on a bunch of suspension parts newb style. Drove it and everything was out of alignment so i took it to autobacsusa, and while i was watching them they had a hardtime.. i couldn't figure out why it should be easy. I went dow to take a look and one of my tensions rods was installed wrong, so put it in correctly and they got toe caster and everything else but when it came to the front toe...They said they couldn't really get it right because i had aftermarket toe rods????? I know they allow for more toe but they said it goes out of range on their alignment machine im guessing.. that's the only way... They told me it's like this for everyone who gets aftermarket toe rods. I asked him so they're toe isnt really even? he said yeah.... ahahah what the...this better be :bs: How can I align my front toe? or where can i go?

lok
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Isnt the front toe adjusted by the the tie rod ends?

Jefferson
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
yeah your front toe is adjusted by your tie rod ends

What kind of tie rod setup do you have?

adrians_s13
04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Isnt the front toe adjusted by the the tie rod ends?

i was under the same impression. Toe rods are for the rears... no offense to some of the guys that work there... but some of them are idiots...

they rejected my buddy's car cuz they said his coilovers are too low to fit on the rack... but he had a spring/ strut combo... wtf? (this was like in 2006 btw)

MaD1337M3DRiV3r
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Just take it straight to Darron at West End Alignment.

My story: 2 people took my money for the alignment and basically couldnt get it right. Took it to Daron and had him corner balance it and ive been happy since.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=20484636

adrians_s13
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
or... you can take it to Drift Speed on Katella.
1)They have an alignment rack
2) they know a thing or two about 240s (lol)
3) its literally a few blocks away from Autobacs
4) only $80
5) From what I heard, Quoc did the whole big bank @ Irwindale w/ an NA KA.
6) I know #5 isn't really relavant... but wow

vutony
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
3) its literally a few blocks away from Autobacs

many bocks, its on katella and winner circle (across from alamitos track)

5) From what I heard, Quoc did the whole big bank @ Irwindale w/ an NA KA.

hes alrite, hahahahha

brndck
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
go to ron at coast general performance (on harbor just north of adams in costa mesa). they do all the alignments for the ferarri dealer on baker, as well as many other high end dealers in the area. brand new hunter rack that just about anything can fit on. (i worked there for 2 years and had no problems getting my s13 on and off the rack, even when it was dumped on its nuts).

also, you need to clarify which arms ur referring to. for front toe, unless something is extremely bent, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring it within specs.

Mikey213
04-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Yea exactly i was like WTF? I still must be a super newb thinking my front tie rods ends wouldn't be able to adjust evenly... fucking bitches probably got lazy. I know there's a way to do it myself, I at least want to eliminate the pull to the left. I just forgot, other than adjusting to keen eye what do I measure?

lok
04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Do you have adj TC Rods?

If your car is pulling to one direction your caster may be out on one side and that is non adj by the factory tc rods.

Mikey213
04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
no i do have adjustable tc rods i have everything... and everything is to specs except for front toe so it shoudl be in my tie rods only... i just don't remeber what to measure but my car isnt around ill go check it out later on today i hardly have time for it for a few weaks im trying to sel my other cars =0P but yeah i even have the data sheet ill scan it and show u my angles...later on tonight

brndck
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
no i do have adjustable tc rods i have everything... and everything is to specs except for front toe so it shoudl be in my tie rods only...
no. toe being off will not cause a pull. it will wear you tires the fuck out tho. pull is caused by either

- caster being uneven (if left side caster is 5 and right side is 7, then you will pull to the left. and vice versa)
-a tire being either bad/separated or has rotational wear. if your tires are NON-DIRECTIONAL, try swapping the fronts and see if you still pull in the same direction.
-thrust angle being out of spec. (basically thrust angle is the centerline between the rear wheels, compared to the centerline between the fronts. it is actually more involved than that, but for this threads sake...)

if you have a print out of your last alignment specs plz post it. it'll help us solve your problem.

Mikey213
04-10-2008, 03:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/quiffy/DSCN3018.jpg
there you go =0P

lok
04-10-2008, 07:15 AM
man, you should really fix your toe.

johngriff
04-10-2008, 07:54 AM
adrian, don't tell people to go to REAL shops.

They're cars might operate correctly ;)

Mikey213
04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Look at how pathetic they did, it doesn't even follow the old "set the toe let it go" cleche and this is with ALL ADJUSTABLE LINKS
FUCK MAN I COULD SET IT PERFECT MYSELF IF I HAD A DAMN BUBBLE GUAGE. I forgot what to measure for the old fashion string way. I know about the angles but does anyone know how to set their toe with out an alignment machine? or anyone around with a bubble guage?

Mikey213
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Bubble Gauge Anyone? =0(