PDA

View Full Version : diff cover question

Leetheslacker
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM
so i got my diff welded and like an idiot just put the cover back on and slapped it back in.

well it leaks some and that is not good.

so im about to drop it and seal it again but i have a question.

do i need a new gasket or can i just clean it up real well and go nuts with some rtv?

i searched but i couldnt find anything about it.

s13silvia123
04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
get new gaskets. the gasket is made of gasket paper. make your own or buy a new one

jackjack
04-07-2008, 01:16 PM
i used a new gasket. friend of mine used rtv. both worked (no leaks). its up to you.

Leetheslacker
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
i used a new gasket. friend of mine used rtv. both worked (no leaks). its up to you.

you know what rtv he used? theres like 100 different kinds and im not sure what to get.

jackjack
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
you know what rtv he used? theres like 100 different kinds and im not sure what to get.

let me check.......... in the garage.

he used some spare stuff i had laying around. "high temp rtv silicone gasket maker". its orange......... not that the color matters.

projectRDM
04-07-2008, 05:41 PM
RTV is fine, but don't 'go crazy' with it, it will leak. Apply the appropriate amount, no more.

LongGrain
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
let me check.......... in the garage.

he used some spare stuff i had laying around. "high temp rtv silicone gasket maker". its orange......... not that the color matters.

actually the color does matter, each color has different purposes. like the orange stuff has copper in it. but for a diff you could probably use any kind and it will work just fine.

i used blue rtv gasket maker, no leaks here.

racepar1
04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Permatex makes some really good gasket maker called "the right stuff", I would just use that. It is very similar to hondabond, toyotaseal, and whatever the sealer that nissan uses is called. It dries harder than regular RTV.

92coupe
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
This is just an old school way of looking at RTV, and I don't think it "Really" matters except maybe in an extreme condition, but I always heard the colors match what to use it on.
Black = For Oil
Blue = For Water
Red = For high temp.

I use black on everything and never really have problems.

jackjack
04-07-2008, 06:23 PM
actually the color does matter, each color has different purposes. like the orange stuff has copper in it. but for a diff you could probably use any kind and it will work just fine.

i used blue rtv gasket maker, no leaks here.

as long as its the right kind it dosent matter if its hot pink. different brands use different colors. so yeah.......... :fawkd:

TheArkitekt
04-07-2008, 07:19 PM
i used some crazy black mercedes benz stuff we had laying around and its holding up fine.

Leetheslacker
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
alright good. hopefully i can make it home from school without it being out of fluid and locking up.