PDA

View Full Version : How can you make sure a cam is a 248 one?

alkemyst
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I am trying to make sure I got the right cams sent to me. The lobes look very close to my 98's cams. They do have the extra bearing mine doesn't.

They are orange on the exhaust and green on the intake.

Thanks

Å

tt99ol
04-06-2008, 05:42 PM
you can degree a cam pretty easily actually
get a couple v blocks to hold up the cam
get a degree wheel to bolt to the front of the cam with a piece of wire as a place marker
get a dial indicator
usually a cam is measured form .050" to .050" lift
place dial indicator on base circle of cam and zero out
turn cam until .050" on dial and write the degree from the wheel
turn the cam until you get back down to .050" and write degrees from degree wheel
subtract the smaller degree from the larger one then you have your duration
usually its .050" but nissan might be different or the 248 might be total lift i'm not sure on that part maybe someone else can chime in on that part

alkemyst
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
can you tell by sight or are they too close to really 'eyeball'?

Clearalbino
04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Are you talking about the difference between S13 cams and S14 cams? On the intake cams the pin is 12'o clock with the lobe pointing upwards. While the exhaust cam is offset. from there S13 exhaust is orange and S14 is green.

tt99ol
04-07-2008, 02:28 AM
no sadly you cant eyeball them
im pretty sure the lift is the same so the lobes are the same height
the duration isn't so different that you would be able to really see it but if you could it would appear to have a wider lobe

alkemyst
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Are you talking about the difference between S13 cams and S14 cams? On the intake cams the pin is 12'o clock with the lobe pointing upwards. While the exhaust cam is offset. from there S13 exhaust is orange and S14 is green.

Thanks, but I know that much...there is some selling 'repainted' cams or cams that have had the paint removed.

I think I have the right ones...the odd thing is both of these are marked 53F '5' like both my S14 cams were, but obviously not the same as the last bearing is present on only one.

I think the 53F 'X' has nothing to do with what duration or model cam they are contrary to other postings.

I have seen 248s with '5', '3' and '1' now.