PDA

View Full Version : sr20det manifold/exhaust leak help

iAMprojekt
03-30-2008, 09:13 AM
well ive got an exhaust leak and its coming from right below the manifold as illustrated in the pic below.... but when i put a jack up under the downpipe to see if that stopped the leak the car started idleing higher. i raised the jack 3 pumps and with each pump the idle increased.

help.... is this something like a vacuum leak? and how do i fix this etc....

thanks in advance

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj142/iAMprojekt/sr20leak.jpg

MADE
03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Pull it apart and you will probably find the gasket is shot. When you get it apart might as well inspect for other gaskets and problems.

iAMprojekt
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Pull it apart and you will probably find the gasket is shot. When you get it apart might as well inspect for other gaskets and problems.

yea, i thought about doing that... but working around that area is a pain....

would i start from the bottom (unbolting DP and working my way up.....)

or start from the top? (move I/C piping out the way, etc...)

MADE
03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Go to Zeroyon.com or anyother site that has a FSM you can download and it explains it all. Trust me that spot is not hard to work with compared to other cars. Plenty of room just ask Z owners:wiggle:

So easy a cave man can do it.

iAMprojekt
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Go to Zeroyon.com or anyother site that has a FSM you can download and it explains it all. Trust me that spot is not hard to work with compared to other cars. Plenty of room just ask Z owners:wiggle:

So easy a cave man can do it.

haha thanks. im going to tackle it tomorrow. its leaking pretty badly...

IRN
03-31-2008, 03:45 AM
i had that leak on me a few times. do it once right and get new locking tabs under the nuts from nissan. its not fun ripping it out 3 weeks later for the same exact problem. start with disconnecting o2, oil + coolant lines, hot pipe, intake filter tube, and the rest of the easy stuff. take off the downpipe from the elbow and then the manifold and pull the whole thing (mani,turbo,elbow,w/ lines still on turbo) and take off the 2 nuts on the brake master and slide it to the side for room.