PDA

View Full Version : halp! can't get cam sprockets + chain back on

Neejay
03-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I relieved the upper-left tensioner, but I can't get the cam sprockets back on the cams + timing chain. I can get the sprockets on, but then the chain seems too small.

Question though, are the sprockets different for intake and exhaust cams? I'm doing the 248/232 cam swap, but I just realized that I was trying to use my intake sprocket on the 248 exhaust cam.

I've tried doing one at a time, and both at the same time (slightly working them on).

What am I missing?

KA-T_240
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
both sprokets are the same. Do them one at a time, starting with the exhaust cam.

You may have to have a wrench and adjust the cam a bit. Its a tight fit. Especailly if you do not put the stuff on in just the right order.

Neejay
04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Done, kinda. I just didn't update the post/reply back.

You're right: I had to put the intake sprocket on first + chain, then work the other sprocket on. It was a tight fit, but it was slightly off (like it was a machining difference - I just used the end of a wrench + hammer, lightly).

Now my timings off and Im going to have to have it towed to this local shop.

I've already set engine TDC + set distributor TDC + had my friend crank my engine while I turn the distributor left and right. No dice.

louisdaboois
04-03-2008, 06:27 AM
i suppose for future reference, I found it easier to set the cams where they are supposed to be at TDC loosened the cam caps a little just to get them to slope down to get the sprockets on. Then i tightened the sprockets just hand tight, then slowly torqued the cam caps to spec and finished up with the sprockets.