PDA

View Full Version : Hit a big pothole...maybe broke some suspension?

kpc_0721
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
So was driving back home last night and was getting off the highway when I hit a big pothole that came out of no where

Right after I hit it the car started making a sort of clicking noise from the front driver side wheel, almost like something was hanging and hitting my wheel.

Thought I bent a wheel so pulled over and checked and it looked fine, checked to see if anything was hanging and notta.

At first it would make the noise all the time then after a few minutes of driving it went away and I can only hear it when turning left?

Jacked the car up at a buddies tonight and took the wheel off and noticed that the I could sort of move each side of the wheel back and forth when facing it directly if you get what I mean. Sort of like if a lug was not all the way tightend on one side.

Dont know too much about suspension stuff but from looking at it I did not notice anything to be broken or out of place, just something maybe loose?

Like I said it only does it when turning left so I am not too sure what it may be. This is my daily driver so I am forced to drive it to work and back so any help would be appreciated.

P.S all suspension is stock except I have tien he's on it.

HS13KLS
03-27-2008, 11:14 PM
if it wobbles (from the top of the tire) its a wheels bearing..
if it wobbles side to side..its usually an outter/inner tie rod..
hope it helps

projekt_s13
03-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Maybe your alignment got fucked and your tire is hitting your coilovers.

Happened to me before.

kpc_0721
03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
if it wobbles (from the top of the tire) its a wheels bearing..
if it wobbles side to side..its usually an outter/inner tie rod..
hope it helps

yea it wobbles from side to side pretty bad, guess this gives me a excuse to go ahead and get some new tie rods haha. Think the car will be ok to drive on for a little bit?

kpc_0721
03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Maybe your alignment got fucked and your tire is hitting your coilovers.

Happened to me before.

You think alignment being shit would cause the wheel to wobble from side to side though?

I haven't even gotten an alignment yet since the coilovers have been on...only had them on maybe a week though.

projekt_s13
03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
You think alignment being shit would cause the wheel to wobble from side to side though?

Nope, i didnt read that they wobbled. So my guess is that something else is fucked.

sac
03-27-2008, 11:30 PM
You can drive it. I wouldnt recomend it though. WTF are ya gonna do if your mid into a turn and your tie rod snaps? say fuck and hit a wall. IF you baby the hell out of it and dont go through corners hard or take it on the highway you could be ok though. I would just wait and put the tie rods on it and then have fun.. :P O and if ya drive it your toe is gonna be all fucked up causing excessive tire wear.
what HS13KLS said, wabbling top to bottom is usually a bearing, however could be a lower ball joint. But that usually will only move bottom to top.

aznpoopy
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
you're going to really want to check that out

driving on a bad wheel bearing is pretty dangerous

are you absolutely sure there's no play when you shake it holding it at 12 and 6 oclock

a bad alignment will cause crappy tire wear and crappy or weird steering/handling, not loose wobbling. the wheel/hub/spindle assembly should be tight with zero play, regardless of alignment.

kpc_0721
03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
You can drive it. I wouldnt recomend it though. WTF are ya gonna do if your mid into a turn and your tie rod snaps? say fuck and hit a wall. IF you baby the hell out of it and dont go through corners hard or take it on the highway you could be ok though. I would just wait and put the tie rods on it and then have fun.. :P O and if ya drive it your toe is gonna be all fucked up causing excessive tire wear.
what HS13KLS said, wabbling top to bottom is usually a bearing, however could be a lower ball joint. But that usually will only move bottom to top.

I would rather not drive it but its my only way to work as of now, other car has no brakes on it as of now.

I am going to check with a buddy tomorrow and see if he has an extra laying around. Changing out a tie rod a pretty quick and easy task?

So is there any way I can really check to see if the tie rod is bad before going ahead and replacing it?

eulalia
03-27-2008, 11:57 PM
your hub probably broke

happend to me twice, i hit a street cone going about 80 on the freeway

check your hub for cracks, mine had one right beside the lug screw

the clicking noise in my car came from the lug being loose and hitting my rotor? or something especially at high speeds

kpc_0721
03-28-2008, 12:03 AM
your hub probably broke

happend to me twice, i hit a street cone going about 80 on the freeway

check your hub for cracks, mine had one right beside the lug screw

the clicking noise in my car came from the lug being loose and hitting my rotor? or something especially at high speeds

Hmm didnt really think of that, I didnt notice any but then again I didnt look too closely at the hub.

I think it may be my wheel rubbing though because I have some weights on the edge of the wheel and it looked like something was rubbing against them wearing them down.

sac
03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
If you have the proper tools, and know what your doing, tie rods are very easily done. (all 4 in maybe half hr.) However, after you do the tie rods you still need a alignment. If your unsure of what your doing, get a chilton or haynes repair manual, or do you have the FSM? if not im sure you could download it. Use the search button. Might have to go through a couple threads, but you can find it.

Or you could get a friend that knows what he/she is doing to sit around and coach you through things so you dont fuck shit up. Buyin him/her a 12 pack of beer or somethin usually makes this idea sound more enjoyable to him/her. Yes, its rare, but girls know their shit too..

HS13KLS
03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
NOTE: you will know if its your wheel bearing though..i read about it...i believe when the wheel bearing goes out..it makes a good ammount of noise. although maybe your just lucky and it isnt making a noise. ha. just pull off your front hubs... tap the dust cover off, take off the cotter pin, and if you have an impact, take off the 30 mm axle bolt(assuming its an s13, s14 is a 32-34? i believe), take off your front brakes and inspect the hub for cracks and any visible damage