PDA

View Full Version : Eneos 0W50 oil???

Pstl_pete
03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I scored a sweet deal on 2 cases of this stuff. It was practically free.

Anyways, they state 0w50 is good for turbo, high hp and load applications. Im worried about running that viscosity in my motor for street and track abuse. Has anyone tried a 0w50 on the street with success? Ive heard its good for the track but thats about it.

scooz14
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
50weight is pretty thick stuff, unless it get really hot in canada, which i know it dosnt, i would steer clear of that. 50w is made for places real close to the equator.

louisdaboois
03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
exterior temp really doesnt have an effect on the oil besides for initial start up. the 0w, will make it much easier to start in cold weather, but once the motor warms up it'll get closer to the 50 viscosity. essentially the motor will run at a set temp regardless of exterior temp.

Sonic Motor
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
My friend SNC240sx on zilvia uses that...

50 weight is great for hard driving. Daily, probably not the best.

akito
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
i think its good. using it on na ka. you will feel a great difference. idling, a bit of a power gain. and smoother engine. the issue is. once you use it. gotta use it all the time. i use the 5w-20. good stuff still. transitioned from the 0w-50 thinking it might be too much for cali weather. but i have friends with s2k's that run the 0w-50 because they had oil leak issues but all solved n they love the oil

PoorMans180SX
03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
exterior temp really doesnt have an effect on the oil besides for initial start up. the 0w, will make it much easier to start in cold weather, but once the motor warms up it'll get closer to the 50 viscosity. essentially the motor will run at a set temp regardless of exterior temp.

^^What he says is true. 50 is proven to be the best viscosity for max power for most engines due to the extra film strength helping rings seal and reduce high-rpm friction. 0w (yes the w is for "winter") makes it better on your engine at start up, since it gets through your engine faster.

Remember 50 represents the oils viscosity rating when it's at proper operating temperature, which means it can't really be bad for your engine, unless you run riduculously close, out-of-spec clearances on your internals.

The Ford GT runs 5w-50 from the factory.

I run Mobil 1 0w-40 in my stock KA all the time. It loves it. I'm probably going to pick up some Eneos for my next oil change.

vvtisupra
03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
15-50 mobile 1 all day for me

Jesses240
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
My buddy with a ka-t used that Eonos 0w50... bearings went out within 6k miles, he won't be using that anytime soon ever again.

gotta240
03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Can anyone please tell the difference between running a

5-30 and a 5-50 Please don't waste time spewing the obvious "one is thicker" bullshit. I was always under the impressing that TOO thick of an oil is BAD and doesn't provide the proper "splash" effect from the crank, as the thinner oil does.

If a 50 weight oil is SO GREAT for hard driving, why dont all factory performance cars(or any car) run such a weight. It seems like a lot of the above posters are talking out of their asses(as with most posts on zilvia), so please only reply if you have any fucking clue as to what you are talking about.

hey808
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
It all depends on what you're doing with the car that determines what oil viscosity to use. You want to maintain 10psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm's. That being said, if you're just tooling around town, at normal operating temps, then 5w30 or 10w30 would be fine. When the engine oil temps shoot up (drifting/racing/etc), that same oil would not be enugh to produce the needed oil pressure, you might need to run 0w50.

Def
03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
When your oil pressure goes up when switching to a thicker oil, you are getting that at a decreased flow(i.e. more restriction = more pressure).

Oil weight/viscosity is dictated by clearances in the engine. If you're using a stock engine, I wouldn't go thicker than a 40 weight equivalent when hot(the FSM recommends this as the thickest viscosity).

There is a huge amount of misinformation in this thread from people that know nothing about Tribology. Stick with what your FSM recommends, the engineers that specified a maximum oil viscosity are not stupid.

darkevildrifter
03-26-2008, 09:39 AM
theres a guy around la with a twinturbo g35 dd he runs it and has no problems so far and he also tracks his car he said its worth it..

gotta240
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the replies def and hey808.

Darkevildrifter- People shoot heroin and often claim "no problems so far" as well.... Doesn't mean its a GOOD thing to do.

Any more FACTS from people who KNOW what the FUCK they are talking about?

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
If a 50 weight oil is SO GREAT for hard driving, why dont all factory performance cars(or any car) run such a weight. It seems like a lot of the above posters are talking out of their asses(as with most posts on zilvia), so please only reply if you have any fucking clue as to what you are talking about.

The 2000 Manual says
Quote:
Based on extensive testing, BMW recommends only certain types of engine oil.
Approved are:
> Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W60
> Veedol Synthetic Z SAE 10W60
If you are unable to obtain one of these oils, you may use small volumes of synthetic oil for topping up between oil changes. Only use oils with the specification API SH or higher.

ps this is recommended for the 2000 M3 and M5

gotta240
03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
ok, now go read the s13, s14, or s15 manuals. You wont find anything that suggests or even resembles a 10w60 oil. I don't see why people are taking specs from cars that are

A. Much newer
B. Don't even resemble a nissan motor

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying such a heavy oil is bad for a ka or sr, however, i am saying that all reasoning/proof/facts provided in this thread are total bullshit and pulled from rectums.

EDIT- I just re-read and noticed why you posted the above facts VVTI- You were simply showing that a factory performance vehicle DOES use heavy oil, in response to my own question. I guess i should have asked, "if it's good for our motors, why don't the manuals for OUR cars say so"

Also, people are using the whole track motors run hotter excuse... Just go buy an oil cooler if your car is running THAT much hotter.

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Its a known fact that Sr's run hot. Throw in the fact that some guys are running oil cooled only turbos you're going for added heat. Remember factory specs don't include downpipes, full exhaust, intakes and boost increase. Not to mention so cal guys have their tracks in the desert and a lot of them are doing drifting. Drifting generally increases engine temps because for the majority of the time where rev's are high its going sideways where there is little to no frontal airflow. I rarely start to drive my car until my water temp is reading 72 deg c. These leading factors has determined my oil choice of 15-50

gotta240
03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Sounds like good reasoning to me. Willow springs DOES get H O T. Do you run an oil cooler or know what your oil temps or pressures are?

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Sounds like good reasoning to me. Willow springs DOES get H O T. Do you run an oil cooler or know what your oil temps or pressures are?

I do run an oil cooler. 19 row dual pass setrab

I don't have my oil temp gauge set up, but my water temps are cruising around 75 deg C driving and 78deg C turbo timing after a run group. Pressure at the highest temperature is about 1.7 bar at idle. This was ran at a track temp of ~ 72-75 deg F.

I expect the water temps to jump up to a good 85 deg C and oil pressure to drop to about 1.5 bar at idle when track temps hit 100 deg F in the summer.

steve shadows
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
10w30 or 10w40 (if it's over 90 degrees) Is the thickest you should go with oem oil passeges imo

Healtoeae86
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
that weight should be fine. Considering your from canada you want the 0 weight during cold morning start ups.

If you just daily drive it and dont go to track id just reccomend 0w5. I know most wont reccomend it, but a good synthetic oil can increase your mpg.

I got 485 out of a full tank. consistantly. (topped off and drove till the gas light came on) avg fill of about 15 gal so roughly 32mpg. (yes i tried it multiple times)

I ran 0w5 and had 0 weight oil in tranny and diff. Only down side was tranny was a bit notchy when cold. Other then that, it was all golden.

PoorMans180SX
03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
You guys should know, this oil is newer than our cars.

I don't know if you guys have kept up, but oil technology has advanced a lot since the 90's.

Most high-performance cars do run 5w-50, 10w-60, etc, now, and engines have only gotten closer tolerances as the years have gone on.

hey808
03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.focfloridaregion.com/
Click on Educational Articles on the left side. Then click on Introduction to Motor Oil. Read it and take it for what it's worth. I found this to be very interesting, and it seems to make sense. (Disclaimer: I'm not an enginerd, I'm not responsible for any blown motors, etc, etc...)

d*star180
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
For what its worth, when i had ka, it would burn off 10w30 under hard driving conditions. Stepped it up to to 20w50 VR1 racing oil, almost stopped the burnoff and i beat the shit out of that ka for 2 years using that. I pulled it still running strong.

On my s14 SR i just run RP 10w30 full synthetic.
But im having i slight oil leak so im probably gonna change to 10w40 synthetic blend.

Def
03-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Its a known fact that Sr's run hot. Throw in the fact that some guys are running oil cooled only turbos you're going for added heat. Remember factory specs don't include downpipes, full exhaust, intakes and boost increase. Not to mention so cal guys have their tracks in the desert and a lot of them are doing drifting. Drifting generally increases engine temps because for the majority of the time where rev's are high its going sideways where there is little to no frontal airflow. I rarely start to drive my car until my water temp is reading 72 deg c. These leading factors has determined my oil choice of 15-50

SRs run extremely cool except during track usage, and even then they stay cooler than any other engine I've seen at the track. I have a Defi oil temp gauge, sender in a GReddy oil pan. It rarely gets above 140-160 deg F on the street, even beating on it(300-350rwhp now). Hit 245 deg F oil temps on the track in 100 deg F heat, hits 205 deg F with lower water temps with a custom B&M oil cooler setup.

I ran 15W-50 Mobil1 because that's all I had at the time, and my oil pressures were always sky high on my SR, which means less oil is getting to places it needs to go(pressure = restriction).

Like I said again, oil viscosities are dictated by INTERNAL CLEARANCES IN THE ENGINE. People are stating crap for an S54B32(E46 M3 engine) like that's supposed to apply to an SR20DET... please. Did you know that there are ONLY TWO BMW engines which call for the special 10W-60 oil? They spec 5W-30 BMW oil(from Castrol, not a bad oil actually) in all their other engines.

I'll say it again... READ THE FSM FOR YOUR CAR/ENGINE!!! It has a neat little graph that *CLEARLY* explains your question and gives you the CORRECT answer.

Def
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
10w30 or 10w40 (if it's over 90 degrees) Is the thickest you should go with oem oil passeges imo

Pretty much what the FSM states - but those silly Nissan engineers wouldn't know what they designed the internal clearances of the engine around would they? :jerkit:

louisdaboois
03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
[quote=Def;1923890]They spec 5W-30 BMW oil(from Castrol, not a bad oil actually) in all their other engines.
quote]

Its 5w40 castrol iirc. haha germans are weird.

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Like I said again, oil viscosities are dictated by INTERNAL CLEARANCES IN THE ENGINE. People are stating crap for an S54B32(E46 M3 engine) like that's supposed to apply to an SR20DET... please. Did you know that there are ONLY TWO BMW engines which call for the special 10W-60 oil? They spec 5W-30 BMW oil(from Castrol, not a bad oil actually) in all their other engines.

I'll say it again... READ THE FSM FOR YOUR CAR/ENGINE!!! It has a neat little graph that *CLEARLY* explains your question and gives you the CORRECT answer.

I stated crap for an E46 engine cuz the guy was asking :

"If a 50 weight oil is SO GREAT for hard driving, why dont all factory performance cars(or any car) run such a weight. It seems like a lot of the above posters are talking out of their asses(as with most posts on zilvia), so please only reply if you have any fucking clue as to what you are talking about."

And why do people say more pressure is less volume?

Have you noticed that at idle we'll say 800 RPM with 10-30 oil might say 20 psi where as 15-50 oil might say 30 psi. That higher pressure might equate to the same volume of 10-30 at 20 psi. Sure you might be getting less volume if they both said 20 psi but thats not the case because when you run thicker oil you'll be showing a higher pressure.

LA_phantom_240
03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.focfloridaregion.com/
Click on Educational Articles on the left side. Then click on Introduction to Motor Oil. Read it and take it for what it's worth. I found this to be very interesting, and it seems to make sense. (Disclaimer: I'm not an enginerd, I'm not responsible for any blown motors, etc, etc...)

Nice find. Informative, though less than practical in some aspects being that we don't drive such vehicles. But informative nonetheless.

Def
03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Its 5w40 castrol iirc. haha germans are weird.

It's 5W-30 synthetic oil made by Castrol. It's a Group III synthetic(hydrocracked conventional oil).

I'm 100% positive of this, as I've been into BMWs longer than Nissans.

Def
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I stated crap for an E46 engine cuz the guy was asking :

"If a 50 weight oil is SO GREAT for hard driving, why dont all factory performance cars(or any car) run such a weight. It seems like a lot of the above posters are talking out of their asses(as with most posts on zilvia), so please only reply if you have any fucking clue as to what you are talking about."

And why do people say more pressure is less volume?

Have you noticed that at idle we'll say 800 RPM with 10-30 oil might say 20 psi where as 15-50 oil might say 30 psi. That higher pressure might equate to the same volume of 10-30 at 20 psi. Sure you might be getting less volume if they both said 20 psi but thats not the case because when you run thicker oil you'll be showing a higher pressure.

You only illustrated my point that viscosity is based on internal clearances...

In a positive displacement system(like your oil pump), more pressure = less flow - it's a basic principle of fluid dynamics. I cannot teach you fluid dynamics, so just take my word on it.

smelly240
03-26-2008, 06:01 PM
540 castrol is vw/audi

i run 1030 pennzoil platinum usually (unless theres none on the shelf - then i use the mobil one - depends what i have more in stock mostly)

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Pretty much what the FSM states - but those silly Nissan engineers wouldn't know what they designed the internal clearances of the engine around would they? :jerkit:

Clearly you understand that internal clearances changes at different temps ? And clearly you understand that different loads,tunes,lengths of operation, air temps and mods changes internal temps ?

You will never replicate the same regimens as the engineers had when they were testing and designing the engine

vvtisupra
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
You only illustrated my point that viscosity is based on internal clearances...

In a positive displacement system(like your oil pump), more pressure = less flow - it's a basic principle of fluid dynamics. I cannot teach you fluid dynamics, so just take my word on it.

Notice I am not arguing that more pressure = less flow

More pressure is less flow if its measured per pressure unit. But we aren't measuring flow per pressure unit, because 10-30 w oil will not have the same pressure as 15-50 w oil at the same rpm at which the oil pump is "positively displacing"

McRussellPants
03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
SR20s are super low capacity, they can't get away with the super low viscosity oil.

The Film Strength and thermal ability of a 50 weight is what matters. 20 weight would be fine if there wasn't a 3 quart sump on the SR. Put a dry sump in there with a 3 gallon accumulator in it and run whatever piss water oil you want and it won't matter.

Def
03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Clearly you understand that internal clearances changes at different temps ? And clearly you understand that different loads,tunes,lengths of operation, air temps and mods changes internal temps ?

You will never replicate the same regimens as the engineers had when they were testing and designing the engine

Thermal expansion is a linear relationship, oil viscosity drops exponentially with increasing temps.

You guys are trying to reason with a very very incomplete understanding of Tribology. Get an oil temp and oil pressure gauge and try a few different weights of oil while reading that earlier link to the Ferrari FL club and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Short answer - run what the FSM states - it's what's correct for your engine. Thicker oils don't do crap for excessively high oil temps - get an oil cooler if that's the case.

TheArkitekt
03-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I use it in my cars, runs great. One of them is a 2.5i subaru (DD) and i gained gas milage and butt-HP (havent put it on our dyno yet to prove my thoughts). I also run it in my s13 SR20 car. Great oil on the track and has never let me down.

If you still have doubts about power - check this http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1YzGcEUCI

SNC240SX
03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I also use this oil in my 240. Ive never had a problem.

gotta240
03-26-2008, 11:39 PM
You guys talk about the clearances changing with temp. IIRC the clearances get TIGHTER with more heat... Meaning a thicker oil is not penetrating as much as when the motor is cooler.... meaning a thicker oil and tighter clearances isn't a good thing.

Yes, no, maybe so?

madd ocx
03-27-2008, 12:12 AM
so what would be a good motor oil in a ka-t? i use mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in my ka now. so when i go turbo what would be a good choice.

TheArkitekt
03-27-2008, 08:10 AM
so what would be a good motor oil in a ka-t? i use mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic in my ka now. so when i go turbo what would be a good choice.

what youre using now would work ok, however i would upgrade to a higher grade synthetic oil such as royal purple, klotz, or eneos.

KA-T_240
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Alot of the guys on LS1forums are stopping to use royal purple. They have found large amounts of purple sludge. I don't have the link to it anymore.

McRussellPants
03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
You guys talk about the clearances changing with temp. IIRC the clearances get TIGHTER with more heat... Meaning a thicker oil is not penetrating as much as when the motor is cooler.... meaning a thicker oil and tighter clearances isn't a good thing.

Yes, no, maybe so?

Pistons expand more.

everything else loosens up.

PoorMans180SX
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
In A. Graham Bell's book "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" he dyno tests different oils on a Subaru Liberty RS turbo, controlling oil and water temps at 203-207*F and 185-189*F respectively.

Mobil 1 5w-50 made the best average horsepower, with 0w-40 being the all-out power champ. However, it had higher evaporation rates, and had to be changed more often in order to keep the power advantage up.

he also tests Royal purple 0w-20, Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, Castrol R 10w-60, Amsoil 10w-40, BP Visco 5w-40, and Castrol SLX 0w-30, none of which make the average or peak power of the Mobil viscosities.

Now Eneos is a newer, and from what I can gather, more synthetic oil than Mobil 1 (something about the base?), so...

gotta240
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I could care less about what is making the most HP, its the protection we should be worried about.

PoorMans180SX
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh, and I looked up this Tribology thing... It's the science of lubrication and wear.

I don't think you people understand, when you start your car cold 0w means 0w. It'll circulate through your engine faster (and fit in tighter clearances) than any other oil rated higher. Only when your oil gets hot will it run like a 50 weight oil.

I'm running Eneos 0w-50 on my next oil change. I beat the crap out of my stock KA. How about we see what happens?

ManoNegra
03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Interesting info and vid. How much is a quart of this stuff and who carries it?

Z U L8R
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
fwiw: last time i checked the fsm, the proper oil for RB's is 7.5w-30. i looked it up to see where the hell such an animal even exists and i came up with some russian company >=[

oil is overrated, just use 2-part metal epoxy :D

castrol gtx 10w-40 ftw

rotella t 15w-40 for break in period ^_^

*just watched the vid again and i payed attention to the little captions at the bottom and noticed the eneos 5w-40 said "performance gas & deisal synthetic oil"

i've read up on rotella t (which is deisal oil) and it's fuckin kick ass for break in cause of the zddp it has. on a fresh motor you DON'T want to use a synthetic, so you can stick with that, then after a couple thousand miles switch to the eneos 5w-40 for your "synthetic needs" (if you like paying for it) i actually just may do that once i find a supplier for my ka-t set up.

Dave =]

steve shadows
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I could care less about what is making the most HP, its the protection we should be worried about.

Your mind will change with time.

I still prefer 5w30 durablend.

Best test in australian torture tests + it's uber cheap at walmart :p

(don't worry I only buy oil there) ;)

steve shadows
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
If you still have doubts about power - check this [url="MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING[/url]

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ninjabread
03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
^^ So you're saying run the cheap dino stuff?

Some local guy seems to swear by some oil they sell at napa... he says just change it every 1500-2000 miles or so.

PoorMans180SX
03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah, just run Wal-Mart brand, and change it every 1000 miles!!!!
Some guy told me to run straight 30 in my car, "cause his truck has 250,000 miles on it"

dura-blend is a synthetic/dino blend.

TheArkitekt
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

LOL. yeah yeah, i suppose because i sell this stuff i should promote it a little. but i only posted that because i couldnt find my dyno graph proving the same point

darkevildrifter
03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies def and hey808.

Darkevildrifter- People shoot heroin and often claim "no problems so far" as well.... Doesn't mean its a GOOD thing to do.

Any more FACTS from people who KNOW what the FUCK they are talking about?
well seeing how he take a sample and sends it into a lab every oil change im sure hes doing it for a reason

spinitsidewayz
03-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I've posted this link on another thread.

But if you guys want to get down on the nitty gritty about oil.

www.bobistheoilguy.com (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com)

Fuck it. Most zilvians sell their cars or crash it before oil choice even becomes a factor. :fawkd:

Ten dollar 5 Quart Castrol from walmart FTW. (for NA)
0w-30 German Castrol for turbo.