PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 302 TT S13

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 02:06 AM
anyone done this yet that you guys know of?

got a shell sitting and been tossing around the idea for a few days...
I can snag a 93 Cobra 302 engine from a friend's salvage yard he just got a few weeks ago (bone stock surprisingly) and then pick up a kit to fit 2 Big 16G turbos i have laying around collecting dust from the turbo stang forums for relatively cheap. Boost at about 10-14 PSI and call it a day w/ a 450ish HP S13.. (suspension and rubber etc of course)

just curious if there is going to be enough room in there for everything (gonna be leaving out the AC) prolly use an altima fan.

what do you guys think?

** pre build list just chicken scratched out/ lemme know if i may have left something out in my just basic outline**

302 EFI (with the forged pistons stock)
Cometic headgasket (or equivilant)
Big 16G x2
T5 transmission
megasquirt ECU
ARP Headstuds
Piston Rings
Bearings/seals
Intercooler
Tial 44mm BOV
piping/hoses
headers....(custom headers?)
exhuast (modified X-pipe)
bigger injectors
255lph walboro fuel pump (maybe even a T-Rex)
AFR alluminum heads
cam
Port intake manifold...? mebbe

Kouki tail lights that cost more than the engine

goal is 450horse to the ground

levelgx
03-25-2008, 02:12 AM
nice, I would like to see how that comes out plus I'm a big fan of the 93 cobra.. The fox body that got rid of the damn ford oval in the front..

S14DB
03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
You'll need a new Cam, heads and intake manifold in order to flow enough air for that. The stock heads are horrible.

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 02:25 AM
yeah gonna be doing alluminum heads i think to help save with some engine weight to get it slightly below what the KA weighs, as well as a cam, didnt think about the intake at all though ><!

trying to keep it in the 400 to 500hp range so that i dont have to worry about splitting the block in half. Cam and heads will push it to about 300hp NA maybe a bit more, i could keep the boost down to about 8-9psi and that should put me right at 450 or so.

soreballz
03-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Last I checked, 16Gs are pretty big... The manifolds to hold those things are gonna be realllll interesting. lol

OT: My sister lives in Tyler. Neato. lol

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Last I checked, 16Gs are pretty big... The manifolds to hold those things are gonna be realllll interesting. lol

OT: My sister lives in Tyler. Neato. lol

yeah apparantly AFR heads and some tweaking will add about 100hp NA
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford_302_v8_engine_buildup/index.html

soo it may be more realistic to forego turbo-ing the car and just go natural aspiration. can't have to to much power(can't believe i even typed that)
:smash: can safely get up to the 550 range or so as long as i shift at about 6k, turbos would be spooled up by then...

i want to use these fat turbos on a cobra motor though it'd be angry angry:hyper::hyper:

does your sister go to school out here btw?

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 03:28 AM
wow almost forgot the most important mod in the entire list...

the Kouki tail lights that cost MORE than the cobra engine is going to cost me *sigh*

soreballz
03-25-2008, 03:40 AM
does your sister go to school out here btw?
Nope. lol

AFR heads are the shit.

What are your plans for the car? Fun daily driver/weekend drag strip monster? That's pretty much all its gonna be good for... That motor is pretty heavy. lol

It should be fun as hell, though. Keep us posted on it.

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 04:28 AM
gonna do some drifting with it up at mineral wells prolly, with the alluminum bananas it weighs a little less than the KA, but more than the LS1... gotta find a T5 tranny in good condition and getthings rolling prolly at the end of the weak or something.

ill take pics and write up and such, should def turn some heads though

work schedule kind of keeps me busy and gonna have to go rent shop/lift time/space.... or take the money i saved on a lot of the stuff and have one of the local shops out here do some of the labor

bsilvias13
03-25-2008, 04:38 AM
sounds like this should turn out really nice cant wait to see some pictures of it once its finished.

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
may be having to go with a single turbo set up, took some measurements and i dont think ill be able to squeeze in a twin set up....

how are you guys with TT 2JZ swaps finding room for both turbos and still managing heat and such?

maybe i just need a bigger hammer, thinking S15 conversion on the front end will eliminate the flippy lights and free up a tiny bit of space

SexPanda
03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
yeah 10-14psi with stuff like that is prolly a bit more than 450 hp. Besides that, good luck man. Thats all i gotta say.

i dont mean to sound like a pessimist, im being serious. good luck, it sounds pretty sick.

orion::S14
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Here's a pic of a 302 in an S13...saw it on another forum.

AFAIK, it was NOT completed, and I don't know anything more about it.

Anyway, here's 2 pics - - >

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/ka24detsx/Picture035.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/ka24detsx/Picture034.jpg

- Brian

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
wow nice, appreciate the pics.. that looks to me to be plenty of room for a twin set up so long as the flippy head lights go away

S14DB
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
wow nice, appreciate the pics.. that looks to me to be plenty of room for a twin set up so long as the flippy head lights go away

Don't forget the core support, radiator, water pump and other accessories...

Rockogtr
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
that manifold is kinda screwed up tho ... he should have made it twin then the the two mani's would be = length prob better on the motor

waynehead05
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Why megasquirt?

MegasquirtCA
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Why megasquirt?

Why not?

msg lngth

SR20d2fourT
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I've seen a TT setup on a foxbody and it looked like the space was tight with the setup he ran. His turbochargers were on the left and right side of the car towards the bottom. Looked great but I can't say much about fitment in an S13.

Skeeg
03-25-2008, 11:12 PM
so i didnt read anything above.....

but as far as fitting them 2 turbos im going to have to say u run a almost log type mani's on both sides with the flange in the front, only way i can really see this working i spose.

im just drunk... but im down for the idea!!

install wheelie bar... never seen a 240 do a wheelie b-4.

Sharkey
03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Why megasquirt?

i have one new in box laying around,
as far as fitment, yeah i've seen twins on a fox,
going to try and copy the same fitment.. if it doesnt work, then
single turbo will just have to do i guess =)

ruben705
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
you could always do what the new vette guys do and put the turbos in the back of the car, back bumper area.

Sharkey
03-26-2008, 12:11 AM
you could always do what the new vette guys do and put the turbos in the back of the car, back bumper area.

tried googling this, and came up with nothing

kcndizzle
03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
They're called rear-mount turbos' I think aps makes a twin setup for vettes that puts them further back in the chassis rather than cramping up the engine bay. Anywho, look up rear-mounted turbos, or use the search keywords in google like "corvette rear mount" that should provide some decent results

soreballz
03-26-2008, 01:56 AM
The remote-mount turbo company is STS.
Be careful... They'll sue you if you imitate their designs too closely. Seriously, they are that petty.

www.ststurbo.com

96Turbo
03-26-2008, 02:11 AM
The remote-mount turbo company is STS.
Be careful... They'll sue you if you imitate their designs too closely. Seriously, they are that petty.

Fo real?? That's petty as f***. But i suppose you gotta protect the invention that's made you millions. I agree that a rear/mid mounted turbo setup would be pretty sick with this engine (or any V8 for that matter). Don't hafta worry about all that hardware being crammed into a 4cyl engine bay. I would like to see a custom setup where you cut up the floorboard and make some room for the turbo(s) to sit right by your feet to get it closer to the engine to minimize spool time...Which would in turn make the delivery piping shorter so it would be better in both aspects (exhaust gas to turbo time, and boost to engine time)

F*** it....just go all motor. LOL

SW20Racer
03-26-2008, 02:40 AM
run top-mount manifolds and have turboses sticking out your hood

sillyvia13
03-26-2008, 02:53 AM
+1 for yuor idea...
and plus 99999999290498723 for your sig...

MunsonAuto
03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
hey bro, check out www.silviav8forums.com (http://www.silviav8forums.com). tons of great info on there about the v8 swap

Rockogtr
03-26-2008, 07:30 AM
the aps kit for the vette has the turbos mounted under the mani's and you can hardly see them when looking in the engine bay...sleeper ....till you hear them spool, the shop down the street just put the kit on a GTO (not a big gto fan but it did make 550)

codyace
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Having a close friend with a Single 66 on his Fox, I can assure you it's downright fast.....yet downright stupid on the street.

He's running a single Tomzilla 66, Custom intercooler/pipe setup, factory shorty headers on opposite sides, custom exhaust work, Trick Flow Head/Intake, E303 (IIRC) cam....etc etc...made 580 rwhp and 650+ rwtrq on the 331. Mind you he is also now using a Mexican 302 block, and forged internals as he split his US block around 500 rwhp (they don't lie when they say that).

He's since upgraded the fuel (a1000, 3/8 lines, UPR railes, etc etc) and is aiming to make 625-650 rwhp this summer....all through his TKO 5 box ;)

EDIT: For anyone worried about resopnse, this puppy makes 600+ trq before 3k :D

codyace
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
...and if you're not looking to dabble with EFI, blow through Carb setups crank out some serious power too :D