PDA

View Full Version : Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Chaws15
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
This relates to all motor sets, actually; I've looked into it slightly but here's the review:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/23/208168.html

In layman's terms, it's a spark plug on steroids. It emits a highly intense "pulse" comprised of plasma, which is something unheard of when it comes to internal combustion.

The idea of a pulse plug sounds more feasible than a regular spark plug. The pulse plug emits such an explosion so that burns every fuel particle, in theory. And because KA's and SR's are I-4, the pulse plug is more suitable for testing for smaller engines (25 bucks a pop!)

I'm about to hit the 100k miles mark, so I might give the idea a try. Any input is appreciated.

WilloW
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
I've read about it briefly, and thought that it was very interesting. + for you for trying it. I'd have to look this up.

GuardianLlama
03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
i'm also interested in seeing if these do anything special

(at that price they better!)

haha

Anto
03-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I read an article in this month's import tuner? modified? that they did a test on these and gained like 6whp on a 350z.

I dunnnno

ATLspeed
04-03-2008, 01:14 AM
i believe it. i thought about going with these but ill be going KA-T soon so i would have to spend another $100 for colder plugs. hell if royal purple motor oil gives you hp/tq gains due to reduced friction then im down for Pulstar Plugs

DKJae
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I read an article in this month's import tuner? modified? that they did a test on these and gained like 6whp on a 350z.

I dunnnno

actually they gained 11whp with VQ35 engine..

SR2Zero
04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah its in the issue of modified.... 10.4 whp and 7.2 tq on the vq35. 5% increase. Cool I guess. 25 bucks a plug tho :rant:

S14DB
04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Seeing how these resistance devices have worked in the past. They WILL blow your coils.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5% gain from going from crusty old plugs to brand spanking new ones.

SR2Zero
04-06-2008, 06:05 AM
The car they put them on had only 1500 miles..... Pick up modified for this month

Snoopy
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Makes sure its the right cold rating if your turbo'd...

let us know how it turns out on a ka/sr setup.... interested to know, but not to spend the money to try :)

brndck
04-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Seeing how these resistance devices have worked in the past. They WILL blow your coils.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5% gain from going from crusty old plugs to brand spanking new ones.

i emailed em to see if they had an application for sr. no reply. i'm curious to try them out, but i'd rather wait and let a few other people run em for a year of two and get some more feedback on em. new technology always seems to have some bugs in it in the first few generations. i'm already running iridium ngk, but if there is solid improvement with no risk of damage i'd pay $100 for a few more ponies.

SR2Zero
04-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Modified said they either have or are working on sr plugs. It said also that modified was going to test them on various cars. I'm going to wait it out.

KA240SX808
04-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Here are some scans from teh D-Sport article

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/240-kid/scan0003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/240-kid/scan0002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/240-kid/scan0001.jpg

They may not be massive gains, but there gains so.....

Chaws15
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I will most likely test the Pulstars in comparison to new plugs and the plugs that are currently running. Thing is, I just need to find someone with a dyno who'll be willing to help me out. Those charts are for VQ's, so we don't even know if the gains are more or less applicable to the KA or the SR.

It's going to take a while, but hopefully I'll be able to run tests on both engines.

mifesto
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
they've been trying to push very hard on the evo crowd and they've been basically laughed at. not only do they come in with zero research, they keep issueing out sample/test packs to people and dont even know the difference between the evo8 and evo9 head (one is a few mm deeper). few guys already had to do a rebuild. the same model number also fits in my 06 civic compared to my 06 evo, how silly isnt it? please avoid! ill throw mine into my civic for fun hehe.

Z U L8R
04-23-2008, 09:33 PM
i am happy with mine in my ka 510. it's roughly 30-50 more miles per gas tank, a little more pep/torque down low as well. i'll strap it to the dyno at work one of these days and do a v-power bkr5e vs pulstar be-1 comparison on our steady state mustang dyno some time in the near future and see what the power difference is.

Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports (www.lethalinjectiontuning.com)

punxva
04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
i am happy with mine in my ka 510. it's roughly 30-50 more miles per gas tank, a little more pep/torque down low as well. i'll strap it to the dyno at work one of these days and do a v-power bkr5e vs pulstar be-1 comparison on our steady state mustang dyno some time in the near future and see what the power difference is.

Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports (www.lethalinjectiontuning.com)

when this happens please pm me a dyno sheet, i'd like to see them on a ka and what their potential is

wantboost
04-30-2008, 04:53 AM

Dave @ Lethal Injection Motorsports (www.lethalinjectiontuning.com (http://www.lethalinjectiontuning.com))
try some on adam's rb25... that should be interesting

johngriff
08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Digging this up because I just read about them.

They are basically another coil inside the plug to amplify the spark energy. I have NOT seen a lifetime wear datasheet on these though which worries me, because of the increased energy, you would expect the lifespan of the electrode to be much shorter.

Since people in this thread have reported using these since april, what are the condition of the plugs now?

MangoDorifto
08-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd love to hear more about people's experience with these plugs. I was thinking about investing in a set for my SR when I switch over to E85 to help with cold starts. I've heard guys over on NASIOC are using them with great success. But steep price range and no word on how long they'll last worries me a little..

drftthatshit
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
this is all crazy really if you gonna spend 100 bucks on plugs to up you hp by 7 then that is ridiculous really if i was gonna spend 100 bucks on my car i would really wana feel the diffrence exspecially with spark plugs here to save you all the trouble spend you 100 bucks and go by a bottle of spray i cant belive you guys are willing to spend 100 dollars on spark plugs

jskateborders
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
with my minimal scientific knowledge, I am very skeptical. Where does the plasma come from. Plasma Is hot. Hot to the point that it melts metal. Also, the energy needed to generate plasma would be greater than 12 volts..... Any science experts on here care to jump in?

Clowny
08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
with my minimal scientific knowledge, I am very skeptical. Where does the plasma come from. Plasma Is hot. Hot to the point that it melts metal. Also, the energy needed to generate plasma would be greater than 12 volts..... Any science experts on here care to jump in?

umm, in a very respectful, non condescending way, i say that you are wrong. heck, i can show you how to make plasma in your microwave using little more that a grape and a coffee cup. your car doesnt ignite spark plugs with only 12 volts either. your coil charges up to a couple tens of thousands of volts before it discharges. and yes, that is enough to create plasma. while you are correct that plasma does burn hot enough to melt metal, it doesn't do it instantaniously. it takes time to cut through metal with plasma. and also the type of metal used plays into it. as for where the plasma comes from, my best guess is since there is actually 4 states of matter ( solid, liquid, gas, and plasma) it is creating the plasma from the very air and gas mixture inbetween the electrodes on the plug.

!Zar!
04-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Update on these things people?

Alex_V
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
They are bunk. They are the exact same thing that has been coming out once or twice a decade since the 70s that promises the same BS. Its basically a capatictor in a plug. What does a cap do? Store engergy and release it later, but faster best case. But then factor in losses due to resistance, transfer of energy, losses in the transformer in the plug, etc etc, and your loosing alot of energy.

If you measured the amps going into your ignition system there would be an increase yes, but it would be because of ineffiency.

Ive seen dynos on other cars where they have the exact same dyno graph, or very similar, its just better because the engine is cooler. Id believe a VQ35 gained 11WHP from being cooled after heat soak.

Theres a very intelligent reply I found on a forum I go too (grmotorsports.com if its the right one Im thinking of) where the guy has analized alot of plugs, and he even found a reply from NGK.

I haven't looked at these POS's in months so IDK what forum exactly I found that on, but I'll try to find it some time. But basically you have a spark that comes later and is around the same intensity with less durability then a regular plug. Its kinda like charging $400 for a "RBXXDET tune" and just putting a resistor between the o2 sensor and computer to make it run leaner. Waste of time and money....

~Alex