PDA

View Full Version : Q45 Caliper Help *Searched*

kawika219
03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I got Q45 calipers from a friend but he doesnt know if its ABS or not. When i took a look at the caliper theres 2 holes where you can bolt in brake lines. my guess is that one is for something with ABS. Since my car is a non abs S13 can i just put a bolt to plug the hole and use the caliper.

I have already searched this forums as well as other forums, but i havent gotten a clear answer. Thanks for the help

Neejay
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
hmm...I know what you're talking about, and I forgot about that when I just installed mine.

I just left the extra hole unbolted. I don't have any leaking brake fluid though and my car stops just fine...I just have a slightly mushy brake pedal.

Was the extra hole maybe just to hold a bracket of some sort? Are you sure its for a brake line?

kawika219
03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
im actually not sure, i was just assuming. BUT i looked at my calipers again and only my passengers side has it. Could it possibly 2 different calipers, one ABS/non-ABS?

Neejay
03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Nope, only one of mine had it too and I personally got the calipers from a Q45 in the junk yard.

I think it's useless...like I said, Im running without plugging that one up with anything and I'm not having any problems related to the calipers themselves.

EDIT: One of them should have a R and the other should have a L on it.

kawika219
03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Alright, thanks for the help man. I wanted to ask first because these are my lifeline haha. dont wanna mess up on the brakes

Neejay
03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
No problem. But beware that your brake pedal might be a little softer than you're used to.

garagelu
03-20-2008, 02:01 PM
why would the ABS sensor be on the caliper? It would be mounted on the spindle. That sensor on the one caliper is the brake pad wear indicator. Once the brake pad gets down to a certain thickness, it will throw a indicator light on the dash.

skylindrftr
03-20-2008, 02:02 PM
yeah esp with a stock master cylinder, when i did the q45 brakes and i disabled my abs i definitely noticed a softer pedal, but its worth it, you have way better stopping power, i suggest upgrading to a 300zx master cyl...

Neejay
03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
why would the ABS sensor be on the caliper? It would be mounted on the spindle. That sensor on the one caliper is the brake pad wear indicator. Once the brake pad gets down to a certain thickness, it will throw a indicator light on the dash.
Ah, gotcha. Ok. Thanks for the info.
yeah esp with a stock master cylinder, when i did the q45 brakes and i disabled my abs i definitely noticed a softer pedal, but its worth it, you have way better stopping power, i suggest upgrading to a 300zx master cyl...
Yeah, personally I'm going to try adjusting the brake booster rod out some, then if I don't like it still, I'll be going with a '86 200sz Turbo BMC 15/16 (fittings are identical)

kawika219
03-20-2008, 02:34 PM
thanks for the info man

Neejay
03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok, yeah. I just adjusted the brake booster rod out a bit and all is well. Pedal feels like stock on the stock s13 non-abs brake booster and brake master cylinder (7/8).

projectRDM
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
FYI, all Q45s are fitted with ABS. I've never seen the extra port like you mentioned but it's not for fluid travel, so don't worry about it.