PDA

View Full Version : S13 Troubles starting

i8yourfwd
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey, I have a 1992 240sx, it's having troubles starting. When it refuses to start, all I hear is a click when I turn the key. Sometimes after a few tries it'll just start. Dying battery? Dying starter? Dying.... something else? haha

Onitsukagirl
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
hey, i think it's your battery. It doesn't have enough juice to start so it's just clicking. Next time you have an issue, try troubleshooting it yourself. Like this.... go to auto zone with your battery and have them test it, if it's bad, which most likely it will be, buy a new one, re-install and wallah.. If that does not work then you may have a stuck starter.. just search because some people will flame you for asking something that has already been covered too many times.

idlafie
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
If your battery & starter are good, then check your clutch relay & your ignition switch. The contacts inside your ignition switch module go bad after a while. You'll need a voltmeter / continuity tester to check it.

i8yourfwd
03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

How do check the ignition switch module?

Yeah, I tried searching, and it turned up a million threads I didn't need heh. I've been here long enough to know to use the search at least ;P

Jadeskyline
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
its in your steering column take off plastic trim and you sould see your ignition wiring right there...positive and neg hook up your voltmeter put key to on position and you should get a read if not thats ur problem...i might have missed something its been awhile since i did it so 4give me if i omitted something :D

IRN
03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
could be as simple as corrosion on your battery terminals. dont know about auto zone but kragen tests your battery, alternator, and starter for free. grab a volt meter and see if your battery has enough juice at a stand still.

markyboi
03-20-2008, 04:08 AM
those are the usual signs of failing starter

i8yourfwd
03-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I tried jump starting it this morning, all I got was a click from under the hood. Looks like it's the starter :|

muddafakka
03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah I had that clicking issue a while back...it's a nuisance. The battery was fine when I tested it. I replaced the old starter with one by Duralast. It's been working great ever since.