PDA

View Full Version : Have volts but no amps...

Phatz
03-16-2008, 10:59 PM
...what does this mean? I got my battery checked at Autozone. The guy said I have volts but no amps and my that battery is fine.

Lately when I start the car, the battery light in the dash comes on but is verrrry dim. Once I get it going, she drives fine and the light turns off. But when I idle for a long time at a stop light or whatever, the battery light comes back on, and she struggles for a little bit...

Do I need a new battery? Alternator? I just replaced the spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap today.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated and go easy on me, It's my first 240! Thanks in advance...

projectRDM
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Firs off, it being a 240 has nothing to do with it. A car is a car.

Secondly, the guy who tested your battery is a moron. Batteries are rated in voltage, and produce amperage. Unless he did a load test there's no way to say whether or not the battery is good, a battery can show 13.8V all day long under no load. The question is, what's the voltage in the car, with and without the alternator lead connected?

berz
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
u might wanna replace the alternator and battery to be on the safe side

Phatz
03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
yea, the volt reads 12volts when is off and 14 when its running. How do I take off the alternator lead?

SnakeKack
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok well I worked at Autozone, and quite honestly most of the people there are morons that know how to word things to make them seem like they know what they are talking about lol.

ProjectRDM is right. You gotta watch yourself what the numbers look like on and off a load to tell if a battery is right. I've seen batteries that show 13 volts but once they are on a load they drop to 1.

Also to be honest I once also worked at Wal-Mart in the tire and lube. Their equipment is much better than Autozones for batteries. Especially the one that checks your charging system. Autozones shit always breaks down. Oh and ignition modules. If you have them tested at Autozone make sure they test it atleast 15 times in a row. The thing needs to warm up.

MAGILLA
03-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Volts= Current(amps) * Resistance. Can't have one with out the other. That guy that did the test is a fool. Advance is usually a better place to get the battery checked. Try there and also ask them to check your charging system. should be free.

idlafie
03-17-2008, 04:22 AM
...what does this mean? ....Do I need a new battery? Alternator? I just replaced the spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap today.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated and go easy on me, It's my first 240! Thanks in advance...

First & foremost congratulations on being the proud new owner of a 240sx. You have chosen wisely grasshopper!!...Now it's time to begin your edumacation!!!

If you want to learn more about how a car battery works, click on the attached link:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43835/article.html

Several things can be the cause of your problem. 1). It could be that your car battery is old & needs to be replaced, 2). Your alternator may be going out & not charging your battery properly. 3). Your battery terminals may be corroded and/or covered with white corrosive powder & not allowing for a good clean contact to your battery posts hence the charging problems, 4). You might have a bad or loose fan belt which may be the cause of your battery not charging properly or 5). Something that is very common in todays batteries....you have no more fluids inside the battery & as a result your battery is not charging. When was the last time you checked the fluid levels inside your car battery?? If the battery is not a sealed self contained battery with a blue or green "energy" cell on the top, then chances are you have a battery where you have to add distilled water. If the water levels inside the battery fall too low then your battery will not hold a charge. I've learned this thru helping several people in need with dead batteries needing a jumpstart to start their cars have too low water levels in their car batteries

Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID

PS: what year is your 240 again??

SoguRacing
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
ok for one, a battery that reads 12 volts is a dead batter contrary to the popular belief that a 12volt "car" battery is actually 12 volts. A "good" battery will be at "least" 12.4 volts when no charge is applied and around 13 to 14 volts when the car is on. otherwise, if your car's battery is not up to par your alternator may not even function properly, so a 12 volt 12volt battery is a dead battery

Phatz
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I really appreciate everyone's feedback on my '93 240sxHB battery situation. Last night, the light wouldn't go off and today back and forth from work it never came on... thanks again guys.

berz
03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
hope u get this problem solved mannn

Okinawandrifter87
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry not trying to revive a dead thread but Im having the same problem and i just replaced the alternator and battery and its still going on. I checked the fuse and still nothing. Did you ever resolve this?

g6civcx
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
What's there to resolve? Measure voltage across the battery terminals. Go on from there.