PDA

View Full Version : conversion of automatic windows to manual

Enjin
03-16-2008, 05:37 PM
preface: I am building a track car. my car has auto windows. I would like to convert to manual to save some weight and for simplicity sake.

question: can I just buy the manual hardware from a junkyard, remove the auto hardware, and install the manual hardware?

or is it not that simple?

bo2o
03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
its juss that simple.

if you want to do it the other way its a lil harder but do able.

wrip out the old put in the new. basically.
sell your power window setup and get your money back.

sac
03-16-2008, 08:20 PM
k.. i have a question on this manner, as i am debating going the same route. Did s14's ever come with manual windows?

projectRDM
03-16-2008, 09:53 PM
k.. i have a question on this manner, as i am debating going the same route. Did s14's ever come with manual windows?

No, never. Although there is a fool on here who swears differently and will argue about it until he bleeds from his rectum.

sac
03-16-2008, 11:25 PM
No, never. Although there is a fool on here who swears differently and will argue about it until he bleeds from his rectum.
I didnt think they did.. I have owned 2 different 95 s14's.. the first i thought was a base model because it had no sunroof, 4 lug wheels. But it had abs.. so i guess it wasnt a base model. The second is the 95 se i own now. It has all the luxuries. I personally think its the best model to own if its a street car.(well.. unless you can get a s15..:naughty: )

thanks man. good info.

Dirty Habit
06-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Ok. Sorry to bump this..but Im just about to swap in my manual windows and etc. How the hell do you get into the door to pull all the shit out? Am I retarded or is the door sealed/welded shut.
For clarification, I have the door pannel off.

Sorry for the bump. Jesus, today is not my day.

BustedS13
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
you reach through the holes. it's not a comfortable process.

WangonwWarrior
06-15-2008, 03:00 PM
just get the whole doors from a junkyard if you want it to be easy, i almost did that

projectRDM
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok. Sorry to bump this..but Im just about to swap in my manual windows and etc. How the hell do you get into the door to pull all the shit out? Am I retarded or is the door sealed/welded shut.
For clarification, I have the door pannel off.

Sorry for the bump. Jesus, today is not my day.

What? The glass and regulator lift right out through the top after being unbolted. The latch, actuator, and all small parts come out through the large lower opening in the door. It's not even cake it's so easy, 60 seconds should have the door gutted. Seriously. Unbolt, remove, done.

S14DB
06-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Does the manual windows on a S13 really weigh that much less? Anyone weighed?

I'm sure in the muscle car era the motors were as big as bricks and weighed as much as one. But I can't see a mechanical system being that much less then a little modern motor.

projectRDM
06-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Does the manual windows on a S13 really weigh that much less? Anyone weighed?

I'm sure in the muscle car era the motors were as big as bricks and weighed as much as one. But I can't see a mechanical system being that much less then a little modern motor.

The manual regulator weighs maybe a pound less. The actuator and all wiring for the door maybe two pounds total. It's minimal weight loss at best.

Dirty Habit
06-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah Im a fucking retard. hahah.

Manual windows for the win. Pain in the ass to reach through the little holes but it took me only about an hour or so to put both of them in.

I like my roll up windows.

g6civcx
06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
The manual regulator weighs maybe a pound less. The actuator and all wiring for the door maybe two pounds total. It's minimal weight loss at best.

I handled both manual and auto windows and I couldn't tell the weight difference from just picking them up.

I prefer manual window for simplicity and reduced wiring more than anything else. I don't know if the weight saving is that much.