PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Removal

exitspeed
03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I've searched here and google and didn't come up with anything definatively regarding this.

I'm trying to remove the caret but where the center stack of the dash is the carpet goes around the supports and I don't see how the carpet comes out. I removed the bolts on the sides of the support that go to the floor but that doesn't remove anything. I don't have a problem cutting the carpet to get it out, but that doesn't help putting the new carpet in.

I read that the support that runs horizontally across the dash needs to be removed? Is that correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7342/img3556ma7.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9914/img3560ge4.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5471/img3561gr1.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7002/img3562dg5.jpg

shade
03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes. I took the whole dash support out to put the new carpet in. Do not cut the carpet in the middle! It'll start sagging down a bit if you do. I believe the dash support is one piece except for the small piece on the right, its been a while. Its going to be a bitch because you have to take the blower and the AC box.

Might as well take the rust off the dash support while its out. Paint it or something.

cisco240
03-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes, you need to remove the horizontal brace to remove the carpet if you do not want to cut it. It's a PITA. Be carfull with the brace cause I tapped it against my windsheild & cracked it a little. Just a heads up.

onehundredoctane
03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Do not cut the carpet in the middle! It'll start sagging down a bit if you do.

as far as your carpet going back in put a strip of Velcro spanning across the gap where you cut the carpet works fine to keep it from sagging, OR, spray adhensive on the tranny tunnel.

work smart, not hard. cut the carpet with a razor blade, it's brown, your not reusing it.

Ninjabread
03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Mel, just cut it and velcro the new one on at the top.

That's what I did, and it's not saggy at all.

g6civcx
03-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Since you're already halfway there just remove the crossbar and do it right.

Xandy Boosts
03-14-2008, 09:27 PM
werd

exitspeed, when I took mine out to dye it black, I was too lazy to take all that center stuff out after taking out my dash so I cut it. I didn't use any velcrow or anything it doesn't sag at all.

onehundredoctane
03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
as far as your carpet going back in put a strip of Velcro spanning across the gap where you cut the carpet

Mel, just cut it and velcro the new one on at the top.

nice call there

projectRDM
03-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Geez, another worthless post of people discussing wrong shit.

The OE carpet is precut in several dashed places behind the dash support. Give it a good tug in the center and it will pull apart. Even the FSM says that. They design it like to be removable.

shade
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
He wants to put a new one as well. I don't know if he wants the new one cut or not and so I advised him that he should just take out the dash support to put the new one in. He might as well take it off since he already took the dash off.

The OE carpet is precut in several dashed places behind the dash support. Give it a good tug in the center and it will pull apart. Even the FSM says that. They design it like to be removable.

Ninjabread
03-14-2008, 10:49 PM

:rofl:

Oh wait, you're serious?

exitspeed
03-15-2008, 07:32 AM

Yea, Russ, I wanna put the new carpet in without cutting it.

Thanks for the input guys. Next time someone searches the answer will be more clear to them.

And it's funny the carpet looks brown in the pic. It's actually light gray, but cause it was a down south car the red dirt makes it look brownish. My fresh and clean carpet from my hatch is going in.

I'm also washing all the interior pieces before I put them in. The interior is gonna be sharp.:p

exitspeed
03-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I just want to add to this thread for future reference for people.

In regards to removing and replacing the carpet:

If you are going to be disposing of the old carpet and putting in new carpet it's easiest I think to just cut the carpet and remove it.

If you are reusing the carpet and would like to keep it in one piece. You have to remove the crossbar that goes across the dash. You don't need to remove it completely from the car. There are like 12 10mm bolts that need to be removed from the bar. The bar will still have numerous wires attached to it. You will be able to swivel the crossbar up enough that you can get the new carpet in with no problem in one piece.

:bigok: